Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire v. MileagePlus Explorer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by crackers8199
edit: check that - now thrifty (via their own site) is $302 for the five days. UR travel site is STILL $160.
Sometimes in situations like this, I've been able to find the lower rate on the regular priceline (non-bidding) search, if I'm logged in.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver
i ended up just using an off-airport enterprise location. it's literally less than a block from the airport...will probably cost me about a $10 cab ride but i got the entire rental for $135 and change, and from a reputable agency (i.e. not a super-cheapo-discount place like ACE). even with a $10 cab fare each way i'm still saving some money...and i can use the united card to get primary CDW and hopefully still get the extra 2 points per dollar for going through the UR mall.

i suppose i can even pay the cab fare with my sapphire and get 2x points on that...does cab fare count as travel?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
First, as an actuary, I charge a lot more than $20 an hour for consulting!

I question if the analysis is correct. The credit card coverage is secondary to your insurance. This means that if you have a $100 deductible, your credit card will pay $100 and then your car insurance pays the rest. Am I wrong? It works out better to have a HIGH deductible because then a small claim won't hit your insurance policy.

I have a claim pending from my MP card. I returned the car to Enterprise Sunday night, and Monday they told me they found a scratch on it. $500ish. The paperwork is a pain, to be sure. I just turned it all in and am waiting for them to tell me that there's something missing.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by redtop43
First, as an actuary, I charge a lot more than $20 an hour for consulting!

I question if the analysis is correct. The credit card coverage is secondary to your insurance. This means that if you have a $100 deductible, your credit card will pay $100 and then your car insurance pays the rest. Am I wrong? It works out better to have a HIGH deductible because then a small claim won't hit your insurance policy.

I have a claim pending from my MP card. I returned the car to Enterprise Sunday night, and Monday they told me they found a scratch on it. $500ish. The paperwork is a pain, to be sure. I just turned it all in and am waiting for them to tell me that there's something missing.
on the MPE, the collision coverage is primary. i.e. they pay everything, my insurance doesn't get involved unless there's a liability claim. on the sapphire, it's secondary...hence my dilemma (whether to pay with the MPE and get the primary insurance, or the sapphire and get the extra rewards points for travel).
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:02 pm

Rental coverage now secondary?!

I just received my new MPE card to replace an expiring OPP card. The benefits document I got is for the "United MileagePlus Card" and the rental coverage is secondary. The past benefits document I saved was for the "United MileagePlus Explorer Card" and the rental coverage was primary.

I called the benefits line and it sounds like I was mailed the wrong document. But I just wanted to check if anyone else had this experience, and if rental coverage on the MPE is still for certain primary. I didn't know there was a MileagePlus card that had secondary coverage.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:01 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tpmgpeds
I called the benefits line and it sounds like I was mailed the wrong document.
Check out this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...insurance.html
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:05 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago

Thank you! That was excellent.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Plt, BA, SPG Plt
I was at fault in a one car crash in a rental last November using United MP Explorer. Although there was a fair amount of paperwork, they covered the several thousand dollar repair completely. I ALWAYS rent with this card.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by crackers8199
i ended up just using an off-airport enterprise location. it's literally less than a block from the airport...will probably cost me about a $10 cab ride
Enterprise should come by and pick you up if you give them a call.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:18 pm

Sapphire v. Mileage Explorer

Hello,

I recently signed up for a Capital One Venture card, thinking miles earned were transferrable to frequent flyer programs. Woops.

I'm looking to apply for a new card which will allow me to rack up FF miles. I was looking at the Sapphire and Explorer cards. Assuming you only recieve 30K for the Explorer card, which card would you prefer?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by brokeguy88
Hello,

I recently signed up for a Capital One Venture card, thinking miles earned were transferrable to frequent flyer programs. Woops.

I'm looking to apply for a new card which will allow me to rack up FF miles. I was looking at the Sapphire and Explorer cards. Assuming you only recieve 30K for the Explorer card, which card would you prefer?

Thanks in advance!
Sapphire Preferred without a doubt. Better sign up bonus (than the 30K) and earn rates.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Before you sign up for a card, ALWAYS do your research. There are many blogs and threads (including the one you posted in) covering this topic, as well as all the generic/co-branded cards. Take some time to read, and soon you'll be earning miles in all your programs.

And now to answer your question. You want UA miles, correct? You can transfer Chase UR to UA at 1:1, but UA has a (might be had, there's some confusion) 50k mile offer on the Explorer card.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by brokeguy88
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
You need to read all the thread titles on the first 2 pages on Credit Card Programs & MilesBuzz. Then read the last couple pages of the threads you find interesting. Slow down & get an education. And welcome to the crazy world of miles & points.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
And welcome to the addicting world of miles & points.
Fixed it for you.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:34 am

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Get the explorer card..just try and get the 50k mile offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.