Search

Sapphire v. MileagePlus Explorer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bitachu
Get the explorer card..just try and get the 50k mile offer
It's really not that simple. We don't know where he lives, if he's near an AA hub or a UA hub. He might want Southwest miles, at which point the CSP is better. We really don't know, which is why we've suggested he do research to determine what is best for him.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Plat
I have both, this is an easy choice for me though. While the extra 10k sign up is great for the MP card, if you can still get it. There is so much more earning potential with CSP. I'd go CSP hands down.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:51 am
Suspended

Definitely go with the Sapphire over the MileagePlus Explorer card. I only got the mileage plus explorer card to add a few more points to my bank, but I got the sign up bonus for the Sapphire too.

The Sapphire card will be a much better card to use on a day to day basis. I would likely use this if I didn't use my MileagePlus CLUB card for everyday purchase. The Club card is in a whole different league and a great card.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 5:05 am

It's often overlooked that the Explorer earns you a 10,000 mile bonus after $25k in spend each year, so it effectively earns 1.4 mile per dollar if you put that amount on the card, which is tough to beat

This calculator factors that and the spending categories to see which offers more (the value per mile is the same for both)

http://milecards.com/12/travel-credit-card-calculator/
Old Feb 22, 2013, 7:13 am
Suspended

The MileagePlus Club card is 1.5 x Miles for every dollar on all purchases. Slightly ahead of the Explorer if you spend 25K on it. However, the Club card has many other benefits that the explorer or sapphire can't touch (if you fly several times a year).
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brokeguy88
Hello,

I recently signed up for a Capital One Venture card, thinking miles earned were transferrable to frequent flyer programs. Woops.

I'm looking to apply for a new card which will allow me to rack up FF miles. I was looking at the Sapphire and Explorer cards. Assuming you only recieve 30K for the Explorer card, which card would you prefer?

Thanks in advance!
If you go the Chase Sapphire route, make sure you apply for the Sapphire Preferred and not the regular Sapphire. (Preferred has point to FF account transfer option)

I have both the Sapphire Preferred and United MP Explorer card, they compliment each other great!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by crackers8199
and i can use the united card to get primary CDW and hopefully still get the extra 2 points per dollar for going through the UR mall.
Can you use the Explorer Card in the UR Travel site for the extra 1 point per dollar (2x total)? How does that work? 2x MP miles, right? It can't be UR points because the Explorer Card is not a UR card. Im confused.

I'm thinking about getting the Explorer card as well.

Oh and yes, the CSP gets 2x for cab rides, trains, buses, probably even when you rent a bike from a bike share company (i'll look at my statements to see what the code is for bike shares). Any kind of travel is 2x.

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 27, 2013 at 8:04 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by JaysonW
If you go the Chase Sapphire route, make sure you apply for the Sapphire Preferred and not the regular Sapphire. (Preferred has point to FF account transfer option)

I have both the Sapphire Preferred and United MP Explorer card, they compliment each other great!
I have the Sapphire Preferred, thinking about adding the Explorer Card. A few questions first, (and yes I've been reading non stop here on FT but a few things still aren't clear):

1. I can't use the Explorer Card on the UR Travel site, right? Therefore, no bonus miles to MP nor bonus UR points to UR?

2. The Explorer's T&Cs state I HAVE to book with my Explorer card in order to waive my baggage fee. I've read on FT that others book flights with a different card (in my case I would use CSP on UR Travel for 3x of course) but still use the Explorer's card while checking in for the waived baggage fee. This true?

3. Can I initially rent a car with my Explorer Card (for primary CDW), then upon checkout if nothing is wrong, pay with my CSP (2x points)?

TIA to all...

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 27, 2013 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by jordandawg05
well i called today and got both apps approved! i asked for expedite so i can start spending on them since i'll be spending some $ on thanksgiving plans i think the explorer has car rental insurance on it so thats saving me $ to begin with since i usuallly charge rentals on amex and use thier primary coverage for a free.

let the spending begin !
Hey JordanDawg, wow, we run into each other again, lol. Anyways, do you know if I HAVE to book with my Explorer card in order to waive my baggage fee? I've read on FT that others book flights with a different card (in my case I would use CSP on UR Travel for 3x of course) but still use the Explorer's card while checking in for the waived baggage fee. This true?

TIA again
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Don't go with the Explorer card, go with Sapphire Preferred.

Sapphire Preferred gets you 2 points/$ on ALL travel, not just on UA tickets. This includes tickets on other airlines, hotels, car rentals, etc. You also get 2 points/$ on dining which the Explorer card doesn't have. Then there is the Ultimate Rewards Mall, on which you can earn up to 30 points/$ by ordering stuff online, many on sites you would have used anyway, and the ability to get ANOTHER 1 point/$ by booking travel through Ultimate Rewards. And points can be exchanged for UA miles 1:1.

Also, the Explorer card charges 3% foreign transaction fees (really stupid for a traveler's card).
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Don't go with the Explorer card, go with Sapphire Preferred.

Sapphire Preferred gets you 2 points/$ on ALL travel, not just on UA tickets. This includes tickets on other airlines, hotels, car rentals, etc. You also get 2 points/$ on dining which the Explorer card doesn't have. Then there is the Ultimate Rewards Mall, on which you can earn up to 30 points/$ by ordering stuff online, many on sites you would have used anyway, and the ability to get ANOTHER 1 point/$ by booking travel through Ultimate Rewards. And points can be exchanged for UA miles 1:1.

Also, the Explorer card charges 3% foreign transaction fees (really stupid for a traveler's card).
I have the Sapphire Preferred as my main card but i want to ADD the Explorer to my wallet. I flew 4 roundtrips on UA last year with a companion, that was $400 worth of baggage fees. With the Explorer card, I would of had it COMPLETELY FREE (w/ $95 AF of course). Wouldn't it make sense for me to add the Explorer? I dont have status on UA.

Basically, my Sapphire Preferred for all spending, but Explorer for baggage fees and Primary CDW. good deal, no?

my CSP for $95 a year and $400 baggage fee or
my CSP for $95 a year and $95 Explorer Card no baggage fee with Primary CDW.

I guess I talked myself into it already. Lol.

Just as a bonus, could I book a car rental with my Explorer and if everything is a-ok at the end, charge the car rental with my CSP (for 2x points?).

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 27, 2013 at 11:38 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I have the Sapphire Preferred as my main card but i want to ADD the Explorer to my wallet. I flew 4 roundtrips on UA last year with a companion, that was $400 worth of baggage fees. With the Explorer card, I would of had it COMPLETELY FREE (w/ $95 AF of course). Wouldn't it make sense for me to add the Explorer? I dont have status on UA.

Basically, my Sapphire Preferred for all spending, but Explorer for baggage fees and Primary CDW. good deal, no?

my CSP for $95 a year and $400 baggage fee or
my CSP for $95 a year and $95 Explorer Card no baggage fee with Primary CDW.

I guess I talked myself into it already. Lol.

Just as a bonus, could I book a car rental with my Explorer and if everything is a-ok at the end, charge the car rental with my CSP (for 2x points?).
Maybe it's worth it, in your case. My experience with car rental companies has been that you CAN change which card you charge to, IF you present a different card from the one you booked with. HOWEVER, if you have services like Avis Preferred, Budget Fastbreak, etc., then having to go talk to a person to get your car kinda defeats the purpose of those services.

How do you do 4 roundtrips and not get status? How far were you from getting Premier Silver? Perhaps put some money into a MR instead of another credit card? 2 roundtrips usually gets me to Silver (or at least, almost there), and by 4 roundtrips, I'm nearly to Gold.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:01 am

Maybe it's worth it, in your case. My experience with car rental companies has been that you CAN change which card you charge to, IF you present a different card from the one you booked with. HOWEVER, if you have services like Avis Preferred, Budget Fastbreak, etc., then having to go talk to a person to get your car kinda defeats the purpose of those services.

How do you do 4 roundtrips and not get status? How far were you from getting Premier Silver? Perhaps put some money into a MR instead of another credit card? 2 roundtrips usually gets me to Silver (or at least, almost there), and by 4 roundtrips, I'm nearly to Gold.
Thanks. Unfortunately I was going from NYC to DC a lot. I wasn't even close to Silver, lol. But I won't be doing that much this year (much longer flights this year). Assuming I do get Silver next year, can the Explorer waive the baggage fee for companions? Man, 2 RTs for Silver? where do u fly? What is MR?

Last edited by SuperKirby; Mar 28, 2013 at 12:08 am
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Thanks. Unfortunately I was going from NYC to DC a lot. I wasn't even close to Silver, lol. But I won't be doing that much this year (much longer flights this year). Man, 2 RTs for Silver? where do u fly? What is MR?
To Asia, mostly. Did 2 roundtrips to Asia, one roundtrip to the UK, then some flying to Hawaii and got gold.

MR = Mileage Run, a trip taken for the sole purpose of getting elite qualifying miles and status. You'll find another forum on Flyertalk for that one.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:15 am

To Asia, mostly. Did 2 roundtrips to Asia, one roundtrip to the UK, then some flying to Hawaii and got gold.

MR = Mileage Run, a trip taken for the sole purpose of getting elite qualifying miles and status. You'll find another forum on Flyertalk for that one.
Yes, that is much further than NYC/DC. lol.

Ahh of course, MRs duh...

Last edited by SuperKirby; Aug 15, 2013 at 2:08 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.