Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire v. MileagePlus Explorer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Hey JordanDawg, wow, we run into each other again, lol. Anyways, do you know if I HAVE to book with my Explorer card in order to waive my baggage fee? I've read on FT that others book flights with a different card (in my case I would use CSP on UR Travel for 3x of course) but still use the Explorer's card while checking in for the waived baggage fee. This true?

TIA again
My understanding is that you have to buy the ticket with your explorer card to get the first bag free. When i first signed up with this card, i already bought a ticket for christmas break that i paid for using my amex. In nov i signed up for the explorer card ( gave milageplus number) and wheni checked in for my flight i did NOT pay for my bag ...i guess some how since my explorer card had my milageplus number and my reservation had my number it matched up i assume and gave me my free bag on both ways. I had another (seperate reservation) for my wife and she did have to pay for her bag ..i fought for her to not pay for it but i ended up paying for it since my original purchase was on an amex and not explorer.

I don't have any experience using the UR travel to advise you if this will apply to you. I know it'll be nice to get teh 3x and still get the benefit of the card. IN order to ensure you get bag for free i would buy the ticket with the card..thats the way technically its suppose to work.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by crackers8199
on the MPE, the collision coverage is primary. i.e. they pay everything, my insurance doesn't get involved unless there's a liability claim. on the sapphire, it's secondary...hence my dilemma (whether to pay with the MPE and get the primary insurance, or the sapphire and get the extra rewards points for travel).
I fail to see why this is that big of an issue. First of all, having anything happen to the rental car is a very low probability event, and the probability that it exceeds the deductible on your insurance is even lower.

And if something does happen, you'll end up dealing with an annoying trail of paperwork either way. I had a small but very noticeable scrape on a rental car once, that didn't end up hitting my deductible, but I had to deal with correspondence between the MasterRental insurance and the rental car company for a couple of months.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
Book with Chase Sapphire preferred or Chase MP Explorer?

Which card should I book tickets with? I'm 1k as it is...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: UR, MR, United, SPG
The only reason to book with the Mileage Plus Explorer is to get a free checked bag, which you already get being a 1K. So you might as well use the CSP, and dont forget to book through travelocity to get 2 extra UR pts/$
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SumGai88
The only reason to book with the Mileage Plus Explorer is to get a free checked bag, which you already get being a 1K. So you might as well use the CSP, and dont forget to book through travelocity to get 2 extra UR pts/$
The checked bag is tied to your MP number, not the card.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Unless you're trying to hit the $25k spend bonus, you should definitely use the CSP.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by bribro
Unless you're trying to hit the $25k spend bonus, you should definitely use the CSP.
WHy do you say that? What is the 25k spend bonus? I got 50k points with CSP after doing 9k in 3 months. I don't think I got any bonus for the MP Explorer.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:09 am

So, how many points in total do you get if you book through travelocity, because don't you get double points for travel already?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by GITU
What is the 25k spend bonus?
https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...t=2&iCELL=6B12
Plus, earn 10,000 bonus miles every calendar year you spend at least $25,000 on your Card.
So, how many points in total do you get if you book through travelocity, because don't you get double points for travel already?
2+2=4. UR Mall bonuses are in addition to the standard rewards.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 9:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
So, how many points in total do you get if you book through travelocity,
You must book through the Travelocity link in the Ultimate Rewards Mall, as discussed here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UR, MR, United, SPG
Originally Posted by PainCorp
The checked bag is tied to your MP number, not the card.
Have you been able to have a free checked bag when booking with another credit card? Earlier this year I booked a ticket with a different card while still holding the MP Explorer, but was not given a free checked bag for the trip.

Priority Boarding is definitely linked to your MP number though.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Have you been able to have a free checked bag when booking with another credit card? Earlier this year I booked a ticket with a different card while still holding the MP Explorer, but was not given a free checked bag for the trip.

Priority Boarding is definitely linked to your MP number though.
Ask anyone that actually flies UA, it's widely known. I avoid them like the plague.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Does having both Sapphire and Explorer cards make any sense

Hello everybody,

I have both Sapphire and Explorer cards. Plus I have Ink Bold card too but that was obtained just for personal business expenses so it is outside of this conversation.

Question is - does it make any sense to keep both cards with the following situation in place:

- I am based in SIN, I do need a card with no foreign transaction fees for my daily expenses and vacation travel.
- for all my company business expenses I have to use AMEX card and travel agency to book flights.
- 70% of my flights are on UA and the rest - TK.

That's pretty much it. With the situation above can I safely cancel my Explorer card w/o endangering my status or potential earning of miles?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, DL Diamond, UA Silver
You would get the same points/$ on the CSP vs the Explorer for all Dining and Travel expenses. The only advantage to the explorer card is the no checked luggage fee and earlier zone boarding (but it doesn't matter if you already have status with UA). And I believe the explorer card gives you 2 passes to the lounge annually but that's not worth much imho.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Hello everybody,

I have both Sapphire and Explorer cards. Plus I have Ink Bold card too but that was obtained just for personal business expenses so it is outside of this conversation.

Question is - does it make any sense to keep both cards with the following situation in place:

- I am based in SIN, I do need a card with no foreign transaction fees for my daily expenses and vacation travel.
- for all my company business expenses I have to use AMEX card and travel agency to book flights.
- 70% of my flights are on UA and the rest - TK.

That's pretty much it. With the situation above can I safely cancel my Explorer card w/o endangering my status or potential earning of miles?
I wrote the following in another thread seen here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-ua-card.html

Maybe it will be of some use to you:

If I had to choose just one, no doubt the CSP is the winner for me. However, there are reasons i'd consider the MPE as well...

As an UA elite, you'll benefit 5 main things from the MPE:
1. Bonus 10K miles at $25K spend
2. Two Lounge passes
3. Primary car insurance for rentals.
4. CPU on domes. award travel
5. PQD waiver for stati (plural for status? lol)
If you value these 5 things for $95 AF, then keep the card in addition to your CSP.

As non-UA elite, these are the main benies in addition to #1-4:

6. Free Checked bag (this alone can be worth a ton depending on how you travel).
7. Priority Boarding
8. EXTRA Saver (XN) award availability! (unofficial benefit however, some consider this to be worth $95 alone)

Then the "little" things that no one really considers:

9. Inside Access (competing with Amex Platinum's By Invitation OnlyŽ)
10. Luxury Hotel & Resorts (competing with Amex Platinum's Fine Hotels & Resorts)
11. Purchase protection is $10,000 per claim up to $50,000 a year (same as Amex Platinum). CSP is only $300 per claim up to $50,000 a year. The per claim makes a huge difference as you usually need purchase protection on large items.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.