Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Now Dead]100,000 BA Avios Chase Card, $150 fee

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 11:12 am

Applied today and was instantly approved. I went ahead and created an EC Account beforehand, and was logged in when I went through the booking/application process.

Interestingly enough, for some reason I got it into my head that the best flexible/refundable ticket would be an F ticket, so I went through the process 3 times without success before re-reading the first post and realizing I should book Y instead. While this experience does not provide enough data to make a certain claim, I wonder if this is a card not targeted at people who pay full-fare F?
Old May 31, 2012, 11:15 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I wonder if this is a card not targeted at people who pay full-fare F?
I think it's just that there is a limit of something less than $2,000 for the transaction (bearing in mind that they're inviting you to charge it to the new card).
Old May 31, 2012, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by IMH
I think it's just that there is a limit of something less than $2,000 for the transaction (bearing in mind that they're inviting you to charge it to the new card).
Ahhhh, very good point. Makes sense.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:43 pm

I applied today and get pending message. I wait about an hour and call 1888-245-0625 asking about my application. I had to transfer balance from my existing card to the new BA card. She put me on hold for 3 minutes and told me that I got approve and I will get a card in a next couple days.

I did not have to buy ticket and I took advantage of the 100K BA miles a while back (but I already cancel that card) and still have that 100K unused BA miles in my account. I was strugle to get the offer to come up. Finally, I use Firefox without sign in to my account, then the offer pop up. I hope this information help.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, SW, BA, AAA, AmEX Gold. SPG,Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by mizzou1
It seems that I cannot communicate my point.
No, I think you do communicate your point. I believe that the community does not want to get into the same pissing contest that happened last year with American Express over the additional users for 10K MR point and the other promo regarding using your AmEx card 15x in a month to get 10k MR a month for 5 months. There were other big disputes over multiple offers which were disavowed by the card company and the whole thing was not pretty.

I for one did not get in on any previous British Airways promo's. Mine was a first application. In the instant case I applied for the 100k offer which required a big spend to get the second 50K point. The better offer was run almost simultaneously with the the one I applied for and awarded 100k points without that big spend.

Chase has had a standing procedure that they would upgrade a card applicant to a better offer that exists for a Chase card within 90 days of application. If Chase now refuses to give those people who took the poor offer, because they didn't know of the better one they are abandoning their high road position and are really no better then AmEx who simple took a hard position by refusing requests for an increased bonus based on the fact that the person was not targeted even though an AmEx CSR said that the promotion applied to that person. Chase was the clear winner when AmEx did that because a lot of people moved away from there use of AmEx cards and I suspect fewer applied for AmEx cards. Chase should continue to follow it's establish policy and honor a request for the better offer if it came on board with in 90 days of the application and a request for those additional points is timely made.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:50 pm

I think the problem with this offer is the need to wait 1 year for the second 50K miles. Much can happen in a year and with the way CC companies change their minds, and with Blogger/Flyer talk effect, not sure how many will really get the second installment.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by dapet
No, I think you do communicate your point. I believe that the community does not want to get into the same pissing contest that happened last year with American Express over the additional users for 10K MR point and the other promo regarding using your AmEx card 15x in a month to get 10k MR a month for 5 months. There were other big disputes over multiple offers which were disavowed by the card company and the whole thing was not pretty.

I for one did not get in on any previous British Airways promo's. Mine was a first application. In the instant case I applied for the 100k offer which required a big spend to get the second 50K point. The better offer was run almost simultaneously with the the one I applied for and awarded 100k points without that big spend.

Chase has had a standing procedure that they would upgrade a card applicant to a better offer that exists for a Chase card within 90 days of application. If Chase now refuses to give those people who took the poor offer, because they didn't know of the better one they are abandoning their high road position and are really no better then AmEx who simple took a hard position by refusing requests for an increased bonus based on the fact that the person was not targeted even though an AmEx CSR said that the promotion applied to that person. Chase was the clear winner when AmEx did that because a lot of people moved away from there use of AmEx cards and I suspect fewer applied for AmEx cards. Chase should continue to follow it's establish policy and honor a request for the better offer if it came on board with in 90 days of the application and a request for those additional points is timely made.
So it's Chase's fault you signed up for an offer and now want a different one? If I go buy a house and get a loan at 4.25% and later the rate drops to 4.0% after I signed the loan docs, tough luck as I already agreed to the higher rate. Same thing if the rate goes up. Banks are not your friend.... Get over it, they are there to make money not befriend every customer who wants to change the terms of a contract in their own favor after signing up for lending product.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:06 am

I just applied for the 100k mi/$20k spend offer (which expires June 7) and got a pending further review message.

I had received a BA Visa with a 50k mi bonus 12/31/10, so that's nearly 18 months ago. And I got a Chase Marriott Visa with a 70k point bonus on 1/29/12. Is it because of the Marriott Visa 4 months ago that there is further review?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I just applied for the 100k mi/$20k spend offer (which expires June 7) and got a pending further review message.

I had received a BA Visa with a 50k mi bonus 12/31/10, so that's nearly 18 months ago. And I got a Chase Marriott Visa with a 70k point bonus on 1/29/12. Is it because of the Marriott Visa 4 months ago that there is further review?
Why would you apply the 100k/$20K spend versus this 50K+50K and only $150 in total version?

It would be interesting to see if Chase gives you a bonus or a nasty letter after your 1st statement.

Time line makes little difference in Chase cards unlike that with Citi. Different product is the key. Unfortunately the 100K with $20K spend offer seems to be the SAME product as the one you canceled before. The card in this thread seems to be treated as a different product from previous product, as evidenced by the difference in annual fee. There are already reports about folks who have had the 100K version cards before, have gotten bonus on this version. Why re-invented the wheel when there are already trail-blazers to provide proven results?

Good Luck and please report back the outcome for the community.

PS
As with airline programs, DONT ever generalize rules among card issuers - they all work differently and have different nuances to be aware of.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 1, 2012 at 10:41 am
Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:38 am

Call the reconsideration line. More than likely you can shift some available credit around and get approved. That doesn't mean you'll get the bonus though. There are mixed reports on this... Give it a whirl and let the board know once you find out.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by tru2logan
Call the reconsideration line. More than likely you can shift some available credit around and get approved. That doesn't mean you'll get the bonus though. There are mixed reports on this... Give it a whirl and let the board know once you find out.
Isn't it premature to ask to be reconsidered when they haven't denied me yet?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 7:18 pm

No, most of us have done it and were successful on reconsideration line.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:01 pm

Angry Going nuts with Avios

I am a newbie to Avios points and am going nuts trying to figure out how to use the first 50k points (x2, due to my wife's application), let alone the 50k for the next year.

I have read almost every post/blog as to how to maximize Avios to go to South America and also within the US and to look for availability on AA.com first and then search in BA.com. The problem is that the BA website is, to put it mildly, an absolute torture to look for any availability. Every time I need to search for partner availability, it involves first searching for BA flights then clicking on partner flights and then it comes up with no availability. Heck, it should have a choice to select partner flights right at the beginning. Each click results in ~10-20 secs of back-end activity before anything shows up on the screen.

I was hoping to look for good redemption options over Thanksgiving or Christmas and availability on AA.com does not show up on BA.com 99% of the time. Availability on Alaska Airlines doesn't even show up at all.

I guess next step is to call BAEC and check for each of my options but the sheer wastage of time in this whole process is mind numbing. I don't think I will be paying the $75 fee next year to get the other 50k.

/rant over. Sorry needed to vent

On a more sane note: does anyone know of a website which has access to the BAEC website and makes the search-for-partner-flights process faster? For example, let's me select nearby airports, shows grid of calendar dates etc?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miki79
I think the problem with this offer is the need to wait 1 year for the second 50K miles. Much can happen in a year and with the way CC companies change their minds, and with Blogger/Flyer talk effect, not sure how many will really get the second installment.
CC companies do not change an existing offer. The 2nd year bonus would come as long as the account is open and in good standing.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by koolr
No, most of us have done it and were successful on reconsideration line.
Many of us kind of know how much max credit lines Chase would extend to us - when we apply new cards and do not get instant approvals, we pre-emptively call the recon dept to shuffle credit lines. Of course, this is based on the assumption that the total credit exposure is the ONLY issue and nothing else is the cause of the deferred approval.

My last 3 Chase cards all were approved via such action BEFORE any notification is given. I usually call 24 hours after the application so to give time to let the application go thru the system process and a human at the recon dept can pull it right up to see the initial "result" before s/he exercises her/his discretionary decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.