Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:55 pm

There's chatter that on March 26 Chase will offer a Freedom that will earn 1.5x UR on all spend. With that option the points earning value proposition for the club card just took a nosedive
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year $395 Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

I didn't think people put the Club Card in their wallet for the 1.5 miles/$, but rather for the club and Premier Access. Seems like people who have the Freedom (5x quarterly) may want to revaluate more so than the UC cardholders.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by JaysonW
I didn't think people put the Club Card in their wallet for the 1.5 miles/$, but rather for the club and Premier Access. Seems like people who have the Freedom (5x quarterly) may want to revaluate more so than the UC cardholders.
If you're succesful at generating points with this card, then you don't have status, or at least I don't. Yet I flew transcon on UA 8-10x last year. So the premier & club access, free bags, and waived close-in booking fees make a massive difference. As much as I can be anti-UA at times, the UA Card, for me, is fantastic.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I searched the forum and could not find an appropriate thread for this (mods feel free to move).

What is the timeframe for getting the United club card in the mail (the actual club card, not the cc)?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by popoemt
I searched the forum and could not find an appropriate thread for this (mods feel free to move).

What is the timeframe for getting the United club card in the mail (the actual club card, not the cc)?
I would assume that like the citi Exec card it will automatically show on you boarding pass so no card needed. But, I don't know for sure and I'm also curious. Will be traveling on united soon and expect approval shortly, got the call today re my application.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I would assume that like the citi Exec card it will automatically show on you boarding pass so no card needed. But, I don't know for sure and I'm also curious. Will be traveling on united soon and expect approval shortly, got the call today re my application.
I'm curious as some of the comments are the need for the actual club card if trying to gain access to *A lounges (I have a trip in April that takes me to CDG and DUB), and was hoping to have the club card before then.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by popoemt
I'm curious as some of the comments are the need for the actual club card if trying to gain access to *A lounges (I have a trip in April that takes me to CDG and DUB), and was hoping to have the club card before then.
You should get it by then. the *A Lounges do insist on seeing the card, based on my experience.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:55 pm

The full UA Club card also shows up in the app, so as soon as UA links it to your account, it should show up on your United App.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
The full UA Club card also shows up in the app, so as soon as UA links it to your account, it should show up on your United App.
Great, this was very useful, checked the app and there it is... thanks for that heads up! ^
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:10 pm

One pesky thing about this card is the delay in miles posting. My statement closes on the 20th with Chase. Chase yesterday is showing the miles as earned. United is a no show. I thought this was the case last month, but now it is confirmed. United will eventually show them and if the past is any indication they will show them as posting on the 19th. Just a data point for anyone needing miles ASAP.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
One pesky thing about this card is the delay in miles posting. My statement closes on the 20th with Chase. Chase yesterday is showing the miles as earned. United is a no show. I thought this was the case last month, but now it is confirmed. United will eventually show them and if the past is any indication they will show them as posting on the 19th. Just a data point for anyone needing miles ASAP.
I've had the card for two years and it consistently posts within two business days after close.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by JaysonW
I'm one of the chumps that use this card for non-bonus spending. I also have 2 Freedom cards. I suppose that I'll switch one of them to the new scheme but I'll have to think about it.

The club card is obviously aimed at big spenders but the earn rate is eroded by the new Freedom if one uses the club card as I do. I'll have to see how much I value the other bennies as I don't put much value into the club nor do I visit it very often. I suspect that I'll deep-six the club card in 10 months unless something changes between now and then. I don't think that they can go 2x on all spend but perhaps a bonus for 50K in spend might be warranted. Of course, if they don't have many defections, I doubt that anything will be done as probably only 10-20% of the card holders are of a similar mindset as I am.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:10 pm

So the Chase Freedom card does 2x on United miles and the Club card does 1.5x?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 9:50 pm

This link worked for me today: https://www.theexplorercard.com/ClubAFW

My application was auto-accepted online.

I currently have the MileagePlus Explorer and MileagePlus Explorer Business Card.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
What to do?

I am trying decide whether to keep the Club Card or downgrade upon renewal. Can someone give me an idea as to how many more award flights become available to the Club card holder? And another question; As a flyer without status, how much is premier access worth when flying from EWR to different cities in Europe? I have a handle on how much club membership is worth to me and what little 1.5 miles per dollar adds compared to the Explorer Card. Any help is appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.