Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RNE
How do I get the first-year free offer for the United Club card?

There is no foolproof method. As of January 2016, anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that the first-year-free offer (as opposed to the standard offer with $395 AF, minus $100 credit with first purchase) is targeted at UA elites and former paid Club members.

In prior years, some of the following links gave non-elites access to the first-year-free offer. Current odds of success appear to be low.
Regardless of the method used, you will need to log into your UA account to see the offer available to you.

How do I find/apply for the United MileagePlus Club Business Card?

https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club50kAF

Go to www.theexplorercard.com, then either
  • Click "Are you a business owner?" in the top right then "Learn about the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.
  • Click "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Card" in the right column then "Compare to the MileagePlus Club Business Card" in the right column.

After logging into your United account, you may be targeted for the annual fee waiver on the business version of the card.
Print Wikipost

United MileagePlus Club Card, 1st Year Annual Fee Waived, Tied to United Status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by MASTERPC
Thank you brother. ^^
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
The link worked for me too, perfect time to ditch my BA Visa for this one, especially with zero fee- thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by davidord
Clicked on the https://www.theexplorercard.com/ClubAFW link - asked me to enter my united info and got the $0 1st year offer.
Took less than 5 minutes to apply and got instant approval.

Feb4, how long did it take for your card/kit to arrive after you applied.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Originally Posted by tpvn
For the benefit of this card, do you know if I book award travel using miles, and pay the taxes and fees using this card, will get the second luggagge check for free?
Do you know of any trick to get the changing fee waived? My status expire today totally forgot about it.
Yes to the first question. Not sure about the second since I haven't encountered this fee yet.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by februaryfour
Yes to the first question. Not sure about the second since I haven't encountered this fee yet.
Thanks februaryfour! I am planning for a wedding, and the extra luggages will really help us!

Anyone knows the answer to the second question?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:34 pm

I asked Chase about converting an Explorer card to the Club card. I am indeed eligible as my card has been opened 8 months. (I believe the card has to be 6 months old, as others have reported.) When I asked about the annual fee via Secure Message, this was the response:

"The $395.00 annual fee for the new product will post within the next 6 billing cycles following the product change."

Some have reported a full year with no AF, so perhaps the rep was being conservative. Regardless, I'll probably convert and re-evaluate my lounge needs once the AF hits.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ninjaFred
I asked Chase about converting an Explorer card to the Club card. I am indeed eligible as my card has been opened 8 months. (I believe the card has to be 6 months old, as others have reported.) When I asked about the annual fee via Secure Message, this was the response:

"The $395.00 annual fee for the new product will post within the next 6 billing cycles following the product change."

Some have reported a full year with no AF, so perhaps the rep was being conservative. Regardless, I'll probably convert and re-evaluate my lounge needs once the AF hits.
Only 6 months for Chase to upgrade? That's awesome! (Especially compared to Amex which is ~13 months.)
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by ninjaFred
I am indeed eligible as my card has been opened 8 months. (I believe the card has to be 6 months old, as others have reported.)
When I asked Chase if it was possible to upgrade, I was told it was 12 months. It was a quite a while ago when I asked, however, so maybe they changed the rules.

Last edited by LETTERBOY; Feb 3, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: punctuation
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
When I asked Chase if it was possible to upgrade, I was told it was 12 months. It was a quite a while ago when I asked, however, so maybe they changed the rules.
Or you got a lazy / unaccommodating CSR.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
Or you got a lazy / unaccommodating CSR.
I've heard 12 months from multiple sources for a while. This is the first I've heard of being able to upgrade after 6 months.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Asked Chase again this morning, and was again told 12 months.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:29 pm

Data point:

I'm United Gold, this link worked for me: http://www.united.com/2014clubfree

Confirmed the T&C and printed a copy as an insurance policy.

I believe it also worked when I was silver last year, too.

My strategy is to use this free for a year, since I received no retention offer on my Explorer card once the annual fee hit.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:40 pm

United MileagePlus Club free first year.

Just received an offer in the mail for United FFP members to sign up for the card waiving the first year membership fee. I think this is the first time I hear the annual fee for this card to be waived. It is a targeted offer requiring you to sign in with your MileagePlus credentials. No additional bonus though.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Mrs. CO FF got the offer in the mail last week -- she was Silver last year, but didn't requalify. She's going to take it, because it gets her out of the minimum spend requirement and we have 50k EQMs of *A travel coming up this year...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I haven't applied yet, but the offer is available to me. No UA status of any kind, had a couple of flights last year on UA.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:24 pm

Offer not available for me with either of the links, redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/Club100SC

Didn't fly united last year and don't have status with them, though do have 2 upcoming award trips booked :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.