Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'd probably bite on the 50k WN - we'd consume about $800 for 4 of us to go out to the West Coast for a few days. WN operates a couple nonstops from our home airport that UA and AA don't.

But I still think I'm on Chase's sh*t list. I got in on the BA 100K the first time around but went for the Hyatt and got the "stop churning" rejection. I'm probably over six months since that rejection but don't really want another hard pull on my credit if I'm going to get rejected again.

I don't know if there's any correlation here, but my snail mail box at home gets daily spam from Citi, BofA, and American Express. (Plus trash like Discover, etc.) It *never* gets Chase or CapitalOne spam. My credit score itself is high 700's...I'm still holding 4 Chase cards with high limits on 3 of them - I think I'm blackballed for a while.

I've attempted to call Chase to say "Hey, let's nix $30k of credit line on one card and open some new accounts with low limits. I'll feed you guys some annual fees and usage, you'll feed me points, everybody's happy." But I can never reach an empowered, informed banker who actually understands why I'm calling or what I'm really asking. I feel like if I say "I'm a loyalty program junkie" they'll just laugh and tell me to go find a support group.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
You should be aware that unlike the two links on this page of the thread, clicking through to the offer on Southwest's home page will only get you a 3000 point annual bonus. The two links here offer 6000. The language about the annual bonus is very easy to overlook so be very careful to clear your browser's cache and read that term specifically to make sure you don't cost yourself the added points. All the links offer 50K, but the better annual bonus sounds like a good reason to use TPG's link.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'd probably bite on the 50k WN - we'd consume about $800 for 4 of us to go out to the West Coast for a few days. WN operates a couple nonstops from our home airport that UA and AA don't.

But I still think I'm on Chase's sh*t list. I got in on the BA 100K the first time around but went for the Hyatt and got the "stop churning" rejection. I'm probably over six months since that rejection but don't really want another hard pull on my credit if I'm going to get rejected again.

I don't know if there's any correlation here, but my snail mail box at home gets daily spam from Citi, BofA, and American Express. (Plus trash like Discover, etc.) It *never* gets Chase or CapitalOne spam. My credit score itself is high 700's...I'm still holding 4 Chase cards with high limits on 3 of them - I think I'm blackballed for a while.

I've attempted to call Chase to say "Hey, let's nix $30k of credit line on one card and open some new accounts with low limits. I'll feed you guys some annual fees and usage, you'll feed me points, everybody's happy." But I can never reach an empowered, informed banker who actually understands why I'm calling or what I'm really asking. I feel like if I say "I'm a loyalty program junkie" they'll just laugh and tell me to go find a support group.
I'd definitely call again- a good rep can do anything. I had a friend who got rejected for BA due to fair credit and a relatively high amount of outstanding debt and he called the reconsideration line, answered some questions about his situation and within 2 weeks had a BA card (albeit with a $3k limit) mailed to him. He was stunned.

Considering you already have the relationship, I'd say your odds are VERY good. You probably could have gotten the Hyatt approved if you got the right rep. The number is 1-888-245-0625 in case you need it!
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You should be aware that unlike the two links on this page of the thread, clicking through to the offer on Southwest's home page will only get you a 3000 point annual bonus. The two links here offer 6000. The language about the annual bonus is very easy to overlook so be very careful to clear your browser's cache and read that term specifically to make sure you don't cost yourself the added points. All the links offer 50K, but the better annual bonus sounds like a good reason to use TPG's link.
Thats a good point- make sure you apply through an active link. Chase just emailed me their new offer and its now displayed on the large side banner of my website (and on my Top Deals page) in case anyone wants to be 100% sure the link is good. Full disclosure- those are my referral links, but I can vouch they are active.

Last edited by thepointsguy; Jul 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm
Old Jul 6, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I just tried clicking through the link on Southwest's site and it brought me to a page for the Premier card with a 6000 point annual bonus, so I don't think that's the case.

It's the standard (Plus) version of the card with a lower annual fee that only has a 3000 point anniversary bonus. AFAIK, all applications for the Premier card should earn a 6000 point anniversary bonus.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:48 pm

Applied and instant approval. Didn't mention credit limit. Largely unimportant I assume.

It's really a good offer. Surprised it's not tied to an initial min spend.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:12 pm

I wonder if you can apply for both the personal and business cards to get twice the promo bonus...
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by mikensf74
Surprised it's not tied to an initial min spend.
They must have realised that ppl were able to meet them.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by creditcardwatcher
I just tried clicking through the link on Southwest's site and it brought me to a page for the Premier card with a 6000 point annual bonus, so I don't think that's the case.

It's the standard (Plus) version of the card with a lower annual fee that only has a 3000 point anniversary bonus. AFAIK, all applications for the Premier card should earn a 6000 point anniversary bonus.
I did exactly the same as you when I posted yesterday and got the 3000 annual bonus offer; after reading your post and from another computer, I tried again and got the 6000 offer. Southwest may have updated or corrected the offer on their page, but it remains a good idea to clear your browser's cache and check that language, which is printed in much smaller type, before applying for the offer.

By the way, it occurred to me last night that given Southwest's presence currently or with the coming merger with Airtran at several airports that also serve BA, this offer might be a good one for those who need positioning flights to take advantage of the Chase BA 2-for-1 offer which applies only to flights on BA metal. From my home airport, I can easily get to Boston, Newark, Baltimore, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, Chicago, and Dallas and for folks on the west coast, San Diego, Denver, San Francisco, and Seattle come into play. Of course, JFK, Dulles, Miami, and Los Angeles are not Southwest cities so this is not a perfect match, but it might help reduce the cost of going for the 2-for-1.

I'm using Southwest in September to complete an award ticket on BA to Glasgow. I was able to get a flight out without any issues, but I was having difficulty getting a flight back on the day I wanted. There was a good flight for me going into Baltimore so I simply purchased a $39 fare home, which made my life easier. But not as easy as having SW miles to cover the cost.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Chairman's Club
Is this considered a new product? I applied for and still have the SW Visa Signature Card from last summer that I got with a 32 credit signup bonus (=38,400 points?).

The terms say:

one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.
This read to me that I would not be eligible but I am reading conflicting things on other sites disucssing this card.

Second question: would the Business card be considered separate? Has anyone had luck have both personal and business cards from Chase?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:52 am

Wondering about the above posters question as well.

My wife is an authorized user of my card but never had her "own." (the signature version).

Applied about an hour ago, instantly approved. Credit score around 790
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
Originally Posted by bjcleaver
This read to me that I would not be eligible but I am reading conflicting things on other sites disucssing this card.
My initial reading of the terms I concluded the same thing as you that I am not eligible for this since I currently have a SW card I got back in April of last year.

Originally Posted by bjcleaver
Second question: would the Business card be considered separate? Has anyone had luck have both personal and business cards from Chase?
Reading the terms of the business card it sounds similar to the terms for the personal card with:

http://creditcard.chase.com/cgi-bin/...erms&card=DHT8
If applicable, Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing.
I think since it's personal vs business it should be separate much like the Citi AA cards and the Amex cards. I'm not sure if I want to push my luck with Chase right now since I had to work with them a bit to approve my CO and BA cards and I'm waiting to see if they come out with a good offer for United in the near future.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA, BA, CO, US
Originally Posted by slider34
Wondering about the above posters question as well.

My wife is an authorized user of my card but never had her "own." (the signature version).

Applied about an hour ago, instantly approved. Credit score around 790
I think your wife would be eligible since she has never had her "own" card and has only been an authorized user on your card.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:33 pm

already have 4 cards with them, not instantly approved last night, called today thinking i would have to cancel one of them but was told it was approved. 5 chase cards now.

can't wait to use those miles on some good sale. last year there was a good sale in december or late november, it was 140$ roundtrip ord-den
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:22 pm

Hey got a quick question on the rejection process for this card. I applied yesterday and got the 10 day wait. Called in today and spoke with a lady who said sorry your declined due to lots of inquiries and to much debt on credit report. Called back in and spoke to a different person, I explained the situation but really had no good reason for the major number on inquiries. The high debt is related to business but I pay cards off in full. What would be the best way to approach the high number of inquiries question? Chase is currently my worst relationship as they have extended me very little credit even though income is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.