Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:24 pm

have succesfuly churned the chase swa card over the last few years numerous times. Has things changed? Recieved the 50K offer on all 3 accounts that I handle.

Originally Posted by strucklee
I also received the email with a specific invitation code for the same 50,000 points offer - 2 free flights). My question is I previously had a SWA Visa card that I cancelled last year so was leery of applying because of Chase's policy of no churning. However, having a specific invitation code option piqued my interest and am looking for input on the odds of actually getting the bonus miles under this scenario. Clicking on the offer code brings up an application with my name and address pre-printed on the form. Thanks for any guidance/information anyone could provide
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Good Thru 8/1/2011

FYI - My wife just got this offer and it does have an expiration on August 1, 2011.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jethro
Data point.......I received the SW signature visa in Februrary this year and got the 2 RT ticket sign up bonus. After looking at the new bonuses offered I seen that my CC has a $69.00 annual fee and 3000 anniversary point bonus.....thus it is now considered by Chase to be the SW Plus card and not the SW Premiere card. Called the Chase CSR and asked if I would be elgible for a new sign-up bonus for a new premier card and after waiting on hold for awhile she did in fact say that I was elgible for the new bonus upon a successful application............I don't know if that will help anyone else but I was pretty stoked............SCORE one for Jethro
According to the terms and conditions in the e-mail offer:
This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.

Previously I had the Chase SW RR card ($59 or $69 annual fee) which I cancelled a couple of months ago. Last week, I received the invitation code by e-mail. If not eligible, why would they send the invitation(?) Would it be better not to include my current SW frenquent flyer Rapid Rewards membership number in the application, and just let them assign a new RR number if approved?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by frecuente-flyer
According to the terms and conditions in the e-mail offer:
This one-time bonus offer is valid only for first-time Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers with new accounts. Previous and existing Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards personal Cardmembers/accounts are not eligible for this bonus offer.

Previously I had the Chase SW RR card ($59 or $69 annual fee) which I cancelled a couple of months ago. Last week, I received the invitation code by e-mail. If not eligible, why would they send the invitation(?) Would it be better not to include my current SW frenquent flyer Rapid Rewards membership number in the application, and just let them assign a new RR number if approved?
I'm curious about this too. I just cancelled my Chase Continental card, and got a similar "targeted" 50K offer, with similar clause on first time cardholder. You would think if it were "targeted" they would know that I had a CO card before?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 1:56 pm

If you didn't receive a targeted offer, don't stress.

I emailed Chase through the secure message center as recommended by others, and they replied that if I were approved for the Premier card on SW web site, then they would award me an additional 20,000 pts once I made my first purchase and was awarded the 30,000 points.

I tried applying online at SW, but my app wouldn't go through. After confirming that my app wasn't pushed thru, I applied via phone for the Premier and was approved instantly.

Agent gave me CS number to call in day or two to expedite the mailing of the visa so I can push up the billing date.

Hopefully applying via phone will be a non-issue.
Hope this works out!

Last edited by Rampage1967; Jun 29, 2011 at 1:58 pm Reason: added
Old Jun 30, 2011, 2:50 pm

For those on the fence, might want to skip it. I received the targeted offer but it was in no way a pre-approval. What's amazing is that Chase has me marked as a churner and won't give me any more credit, even though I currently have just one active card with them (Marriott Rewards) and closed a second earlier this year (Continental).

My credit is spotless clean. 4 other credit card accounts with other banks, all paid off end of each month, small mortgage, no other loans. So my denial was based solely on the fact that Chase doesn't want me churning their cards.

Refusal letter stated "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us."

Is there a way to see just how many requests or open Chase accounts I have via a credit report or to find out at what point Chase would even be willing to accept my business again? Frankly it will take a REALLY good offer for me to even want to have any of their cards (and I'm closing the Marriott one ASAP now) but I'm pretty upset/disappointed that they would be so tough.

Chase is the ONLY company that ever denied me credit in my life.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BBDDPP
Refusal letter stated "Too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us."
Did you call them and offer to move credit line from the Marriott card over to this new card?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Did you call them and offer to move credit line from the Marriott card over to this new card?
I actually didn't even know that was an option/worked - is it? That would be great as I'd be more than willing to do that if there's a chance of success.

I more took the letter as a "stop opening accounts with us just to get the bonus and closing them afterward."
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:02 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I actually didn't even know that was an option/worked - is it? That would be great as I'd be more than willing to do that if there's a chance of success.

I more took the letter as a "stop opening accounts with us just to get the bonus and closing them afterward."
It is frequently an option, especially if there's something unique about the new card that interests you besides the bonus. You'll need to move at least $5000 of credit line.

Most people on FT report being able to do this at least once. Give it a try; they tend to be pretty reasonable at Chase.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
It is frequently an option, especially if there's something unique about the new card that interests you besides the bonus. You'll need to move at least $5000 of credit line.

Most people on FT report being able to do this at least once. Give it a try; they tend to be pretty reasonable at Chase.
Thanks, I certainly will. So I don't call the phone number (I think it's for transunion) on the refusal letter, but instead call Chase directly? I tried calling Chase last night and talked to what sounded like a fairly clueless agent, who just seemed to want to get me off the phone as fast as I could when I told them I had an denied application, and just said a few times that I could protest it in writing if I wanted to.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 6:38 pm

Thanks, I certainly will. So I don't call the phone number (I think it's for transunion) on the refusal letter, but instead call Chase directly? I tried calling Chase last night and talked to what sounded like a fairly clueless agent, who just seemed to want to get me off the phone as fast as I could when I told them I had an denied application, and just said a few times that I could protest it in writing if I wanted to.
Try calling 888-245-0625. This is the number I dialed to get to a new account lending analyst when I was under review for the Chase Continental card. The credit analyst reviewed my application, suggested that I move some existing credit lines into the CO card (as someone suggested in earlier post), and approved my application.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by ia9561
FYI - My wife just got this offer and it does have an expiration on August 1, 2011.
I received the e-mail on June 23rd, but have not yet applied because I need some time for other credit inquiries to fall off first.

Would you happen to know if the 8/31 expiration applies to all such offers or just to your wife?
Old Jul 3, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hpewen
I received the e-mail on June 23rd, but have not yet applied because I need some time for other credit inquiries to fall off first.

Would you happen to know if the 8/31 expiration applies to all such offers or just to your wife?
I'm not sure. She received the offer in the mail and it had the August 1st deadline printed in the documentation.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I got this offer emailed to me on 6/23, and sort of forgot about it until I saw this thread. Debating on whether or not I want to go for it as I typically fly out of ORD and Southwest is only at Midway which is about 45 min from me.

If I combine with current Hyatt promo of 19000 WN points after 5 stays then that would get me 69000 pts, or about $1150.00 in WN $$ to spend (hopefully I'm figuring this out right). That might be enough to actually compel me to go to Midway a few times.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ia9561
I'm not sure. She received the offer in the mail and it had the August 1st deadline printed in the documentation.
I got an email on 6/23 and don't see any expiration date. I hear rumors of some good offers soon, just closed on a house, so I'm planning on waiting until at least late July for another couple of applications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.