Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
What is the minimum fare class u need to book for mileage upgrade on the redeye?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by carwag25
I just called the reconsideration line for the personal accounts and they transferred me to the biz recon line. I have never seen a different number for biz Chase.
Okay, thanks. I will give a call. I'm really hoping for both and to go for the CP.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Is the application for the business card the same as the regular card? When I clicked on the biz link, the app asked for my soc security # instead of biz ID #.

Biz card applications ask for my biz ID #. I'm confused.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by koctail
ok so the wife and I both have the old Southwest Visa Sig card and were approved in Feb under the deal where you rec'd $500 in Souhwest gift cards with $5000 spend. From what I have read it appears that since it has been 6 months from our app that we would be eligible for the 50k bonus. i am wondering if it would help or hurt my chances if we both cancelled our existing cards today and applied say in a week for this new card. would appreciate any thoughts.
I have a similar question. I got the SW Card earlier this year (when the offer was 32 credits/ two roundtrip flights). However, Chase and Southwest keep sending me the 50k points offer. My questions are:
1) I used the 32 credits for two (award) flight tickets. If I cancel the card now, will the tickets be impacted (I'm flying in January)?
2) Can I try cancelling this card and applying for the new card with the 50k bonus?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Is the application for the business card the same as the regular card? When I clicked on the biz link, the app asked for my soc security # instead of biz ID #.

Biz card applications ask for my biz ID #. I'm confused.
That's the app I used too. It's like they just assume that it's being applied for by regular people w/o a business who want the extra miles. Even when I called the reconsideration line, they didn't ask for my tax ID.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
high fee, but at least you get miles..UA just gives EQMs which could be worthless ...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:14 pm

approved

AHHHH...happy happy, joy joy

applied for both the business and personal on same day, just before going out of town for a week. When I got back I had the denial for the personal card in my mailbox (too many apps or open accounts).
I intentionally waited for the 6 month mark to apply (got 100k BA card and 80k priority club in April)
I intended to kill my BA card but waited until talking to the reconsideration line. As soon as I told them I wanted to cancel the BA card they approved the SW card. Then I asked about the business app, he said it was still being considered and transferred me to the business dept.
They asked a few questions about my business and about the high number of applications in the past year.
I told them I was finding some cards were not as useful as I had thought, and explained when I tried to use my BA points I found out they had ultra high taxes and fuel surcharges, and since I'm moving to DFW (a SW hub) I wanted to concentrate my spending (both personal and business) on a program I'm more likely to use.
It seemed to be what he wanted to hear because they approved that one too.
Now I'm going to wait until Jan. for first spend on both of these to make the companion pass good for 2012 and 2013 (i hope, unless they change the rules) I have tons of choice points that I can transfer to make the extra 10k needed to get the CP so I should have it by the end of Jan. I will post back and let y'all know how it goes.
To answer someones question: Yes you can apply for both on the same day and get approved....maybe not instantly, but still approved
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:31 pm

I applied for the RR plus card 10 days back and received a denial in mail last Friday.

2 reasons listed were
'Too few accounts on file for sufficient length of time'
'Too many requests made for new credit'

Called today for reconsideration on the 1-800-245-0625 number and asked to be reconsidered. The CSR asked me why have I applied for so many cards and why do I need this card.
Clarified to him as I live in southern Wisconsin - I use MKE, ORD and MDW to fly - and that's why I need both Onepass and RR plus (ORD for *A and MDW for WN. Also mentioned the fact that probably next year MKE, a hub for FL, may get rolled up to RR). As for multiple requests - I had to apply 3 times for the OP plus and just have another Amex.
The CSR put me on hold for 5 mins - and came back to approve me for the card - a measly $2000 limit. Should have the card in 2 weeks.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:56 pm

SWA offer

Can anyone please give me a phone number that you call when trying to apply for a SWA card? Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:58 pm

SWA 2

When you apply online how and when do you find out if you'are approved or rejected? Thanks.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:46 pm

use a link

use a link to sign up and take a screen shot of the offer your applying for.
you can go to southwest airlines site and sign up for their reward program if you need to get a RR number, if you already have a RR number they have the links to apply on the site as well...2 personal cards and 2 business cards... one of each has a higher annual fee but offers 6000 points after your 1 year anniversary the other has a cheaper annual fee but only offers 3000 point bonus at the end of a year.....personally I think it's a slick way to get people to keep the card a year.

the cheaper card is easier to get.
you find out online if your instantly approved, if your not they will tell you they are considering it and will send you a letter in the mail within 10 days with a phone number to call to be reconsidered.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by wise2u
AHHHH...happy happy, joy joy

applied for both the business and personal on same day, just before going out of town for a week. When I got back I had the denial for the personal card in my mailbox (too many apps or open accounts).
I intentionally waited for the 6 month mark to apply (got 100k BA card and 80k priority club in April)
I intended to kill my BA card but waited until talking to the reconsideration line. As soon as I told them I wanted to cancel the BA card they approved the SW card. Then I asked about the business app, he said it was still being considered and transferred me to the business dept.
They asked a few questions about my business and about the high number of applications in the past year.
I told them I was finding some cards were not as useful as I had thought, and explained when I tried to use my BA points I found out they had ultra high taxes and fuel surcharges, and since I'm moving to DFW (a SW hub) I wanted to concentrate my spending (both personal and business) on a program I'm more likely to use.
It seemed to be what he wanted to hear because they approved that one too.
Now I'm going to wait until Jan. for first spend on both of these to make the companion pass good for 2012 and 2013 (i hope, unless they change the rules) I have tons of choice points that I can transfer to make the extra 10k needed to get the CP so I should have it by the end of Jan. I will post back and let y'all know how it goes.
To answer someones question: Yes you can apply for both on the same day and get approved....maybe not instantly, but still approved
Nice job...I just did the same thing...denied for both, called in and was told no for the personal, transferred to business and they let me move credit line around from my Chase CO...called back today after paying off a large balance on my Amex and asked if they could look at it again and move more credit line around...told them why i wanted the cards and stuff, got approved.

So, if i don't charge on them until the first of the year, i'll get the 50K points for both and then just need to gather an additional 10k for the companion pass? Just want to make sure i'm understanding it correctly. Thank you.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:03 am

yep

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Nice job...I just did the same thing...denied for both, called in and was told no for the personal, transferred to business and they let me move credit line around from my Chase CO...called back today after paying off a large balance on my Amex and asked if they could look at it again and move more credit line around...told them why i wanted the cards and stuff, got approved.

So, if i don't charge on them until the first of the year, i'll get the 50K points for both and then just need to gather an additional 10k for the companion pass? Just want to make sure i'm understanding it correctly. Thank you.
thats the plan...I heard if you transfer points from a hotel program like choice rewards, the points are eligible towards the companion pass.... great for me since I have 350k in choice points.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:11 am

I just got approved for both personal and biz cards this week. Applied over the weekend, got waitlisted for both. Called and got the personal first, I explained I was interested in using the card to earn points for domestic flights. I had to cancel an old Slate card and got approved. Then called back a couple of days later and asked for the biz department. They asked a few questions about my biz and then moved some credit around so I got the card. I plan to start sending on them both in Jan to try for the CP.

Only bad thing, I ended up with the personal card with the $99 fee. I really wanted the $69 fee, that was why I didn't apply a couple of months ago when the card was out, I heard reports of people getting a $69 annual fee but there was no link, I think it was just at the airport or something. I must have been looking at too many pages and somehow messed up and applied on the wrong link.

Is there any real benefit to having the $99 fee card? I tried to get them to change it and they said they are two different products and it can't be done until the end of the year. Would this mean that I could be able to get the $69 card also? Not right now of course, too many apps, but maybe in the future?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Lyssa
Is there any real benefit to having the $99 fee card? I tried to get them to change it and they said they are two different products and it can't be done until the end of the year. Would this mean that I could be able to get the $69 card also? Not right now of course, too many apps, but maybe in the future?
Some bloggers have suggested you might be able to get both, but I have not seen anyone report that they have been approved for both the personal Premier ($99) and the personal Plus ($69) bonuses.

That said, I think the Premier is a better card because you get an annual bonus of 6,000 points ($100 of airfare) for your annual fee of $99, while the Plus version only gives you 3,000 ($50) for $69. If you plan to continue flying WN, the Premier essentially becomes a no-fee card you can keep forever, which helps your credit score.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.