FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

Aitchly Nov 18, 2009 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader (Post 12844109)
I'm still running the numbers but my early take goes like this:

Even with the 100,000 points, there's not much here if you want to fly TATL in economy. Get one card and spend $2,000 and you'll get 2 free tickets TATL. Those "free" flights will each cost you about $400 in fees

Check the numbers on TATL on airlines -other than AA-, for instance you could make a quick trip to Amman on RJ in economy without paying BA taxes.

moondog Nov 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Clearly Business Class is another story. Those 100,000 miles will get you TATL in C for the same $37 in annual fees and about $500 in fees and taxes. That's a deal.

Or, you could redeem awards that don't entail fuel surcharges (as has been discussed quite a bit here).

Happy Nov 18, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm still running the numbers but my early take goes like this:

Even with the 100,000 points, there's not much here if you want to fly TATL in economy. Get one card and spend $2,000 and you'll get 2 free tickets TATL. Those "free" flights will each cost you about $400 in fees. ......

Add in BA's shoddy treatment of non-status economy customers (eg. lack of advance seat assignments)

Currently, at least 3 partners other than AA that can be used TATL without fuel surcharge.

If unable to pre-select seat assignment is what you call shoddy treatment BA has towards customers in economy, then you would be surprised to find out, that without OW Sapphire or Emerald status, even flying in award C or F, you would not be able to pre-select seat either. Of course, if you fly in Paid C or Paid F, you certainly can pre-select seat at time of booking. ;)

Do your homework a little harder before jumping to the conclusion too quickly.

Hvanv0405 Nov 18, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm sure somesort of answer to my question has already been noted but I just can't seem to find it. .i've been keeping up here for the last week. I applied for my husband and myself on Sunday, called and hubby's been approved. . i'm still pending.

My question is:

Can we use these miles on Alaska Airlines for say Spokane, WA to Hawaii (with either a stop in Portland or Seattle). . .GEG-SEA-OGG or worst case drive to Seattle and go SEA to OGG RT?

Trying to avoid AA since they don't fly from Spokane, AS does but we'd have a layover/plane switch in either PDX or SEA. Would this flight qualify for booking with BA miles if I call?

guv1976 Nov 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by Hvanv0405
I'm sure somesort of answer to my question has already been noted but I just can't seem to find it. .i've been keeping up here for the last week. I applied for my husband and myself on Sunday, called and hubby's been approved. . i'm still pending.

My question is:

Can we use these miles on Alaska Airlines for say Spokane, WA to Hawaii (with either a stop in Portland or Seattle). . .GEG-SEA-OGG or worst case drive to Seattle and go SEA to OGG RT?

Trying to avoid AA since they don't fly from Spokane, AS does but we'd have a layover/plane switch in either PDX or SEA. Would this flight qualify for booking with BA miles if I call?

AS is a BA partner, and BA miles are therefore redemable for travel on AS. Free en route stopovers are permitted at connecting points along the "most direct routing." So yes, give BAEC a call if/when you want to book this itinerary.

GregL Nov 18, 2009 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by RedSox (Post 12830976)
Yikes=Low or Yikes=more than expected?

More.. I don't think I have a credit limit anywhere near that level, even though I have an excellent credit record.

Greg

zeke321 Nov 18, 2009 9:42 pm

British Airways VISA offer

I rarely post here but after reading all this thread, here's my story:

I was a loyal BA flyer from about 1996 -- 2002. Part of it was that I was involved with someone who lived in Toulouse and BA was the best connection and often the cheapest. I racked up nearly 200K flight miles with them.

I got a BA Visa way back when it was branded by some other bank (can't recall what bank, I think it was BoA or US Bank) and got I think 20K bonus miles for signing up. The majority of my miles were earned in the air. There were measly bonus offers here and there but the first big one was 25K for test driving a Jaguar in 2001.

I jumped through their hoops and they failed to give me my miles. They said they lost the paperwork. I sent them copies of everything with a new original letter from the Jag dealer. They told me they wouldn't award the miles because I submitted a copy of the original invitation (because they LOST the original). At that point my opinion of BAEC customer service went into the toilet and it has stayed there.

I haven't flown them since 2002 because I find other flights cheaper. I got an email from BAEC advising me my existing Chase BA VISA was being "upgraded" to a "signature VISA" and about 4 days after that, I got the email solicitation for the 50k/50k Bonus Offer (why, I don't know).

I emailed BAEC about it asking why as a long time member I had NEVER seen a bonus offer like that and why "new" members were essentially getting the same benefits plus a 100K miles bonus (Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great offer for new BA members and good luck to you all). Their response was generic, formulaic and didn't answer the question. I re-emailed and this time the response was trite and rather smug:

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed not to be able to take advantage of our recent Chase Visa card offer. Please accept my apologies if this offer has made you feel we do not appreciate our loyal members such as yourself. This was not our intention and I would like [to] assure you, your custom is important to us.

I understand it can be frustrating to learn new members are able to earn BA Miles by signing up to a card you already hold but I would like to say we do run many promotions each year, which you may able to benefit from and earn extra BA Miles.

I'm sorry you were unable to benefit from our offer on this occasion but hope you will enjoy receiving bonus' from some of our future promotions.

Well, my response was to call Chase and cancel my BA VISA card. The Chase BA rep was sympathetic but totally unhelpful and offered me "2000 bonus miles if [I'd] keep my card active," but I declined. I won't fly BA ever again. They had a great direct flight from TPA over the pond but I get cheaper flights with other carriers to Europe now and Virgin still has direct flights from MCO. I don't need the BA card and they don't need my "custom" anymore.

Zeke

Hvanv0405 Nov 18, 2009 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 12844679)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

AS is a BA partner, and BA miles are therefore redemable for travel on AS. Free en route stopovers are permitted at connecting points along the "most direct routing." So yes, give BAEC a call if/when you want to book this itinerary.

thanks for the response. . the "Stopover" info helps me understand it a bit better. .i was worried with all this talk of not allowing two (metals) or whatever or talk with changing plans. . i was hoping i'd be safe since all with AS but it's nice to be reassured. Thanks again.

coolwind Nov 18, 2009 11:04 pm

tempting

pgary Nov 18, 2009 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by brasov02 (Post 12836662)
..this card, or specifically, BA miles, are not worth it for someone whose home base is not near a BA gateway because you'll have to make your own way to that gateway, which sort of defeats the whole purpose of getting an award flight. Apparently there is no way to use BA miles to get from PDX to a BA gateway, or anywhere else for that matter, even though several of their partner airlines fly out of PDX to their gateways.

1. So stay on the partner airline. Does AA fly out of PDX?
  2. There is always Amtrak and Greyhound.

nearpost Nov 19, 2009 12:44 am

Chase maximum number of enquiries policy

Can anyone on this thread confirm if Chase have a "maximum number of hard pull's" policy. Over on the Citi forum it is understood that 7 or more hard credit pulls in 6 months will result in an automatic denial. Does Chase have such a rule?

I am good to go in every other category, but would like to avoid wasting a credit pull, if I am already out of the running, due to the fact that I have 6 hard pulls currently in the last 6 months. Thanks

moondog Nov 19, 2009 2:15 am

Originally Posted by zeke321 (Post 12844771)
I won't fly BA ever again...
Zeke

I've never flown BA, period, nor do I intend to in the near future, but I'm looking forward to spending their miles.

Mr. Bean Nov 19, 2009 4:32 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 12845451)
I've never flown BA, period, nor do I intend to in the near future, but I'm looking forward to spending their miles.

I (still) have one trip upcoming on BA to India :D

But I agree that I will most likely use these miles for non-BA flights.

upgrader Nov 19, 2009 5:51 am

I applied online this past Saturday. BA card appeared on my Chase online page today. Pretty fast process.

christianj Nov 19, 2009 6:15 am

Originally Posted by upgrader (Post 12845796)
I applied online this past Saturday. BA card appeared on my Chase online page today. Pretty fast process.

Now just sit tight and WAIT for the card. It seems to be taking forever for me. I applied on 11/5, got approval message one week later on 11/12 and one week later still no card in the mail. I had several large charges yesterday that I wanted to put on the card but NO....still waiting! Oh and no there were no issues with my credit or anything. Have had a UA Chase card for several years with a $20k+ limit and they gave me a very similar credit limit on the BA card.