FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   [Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1013709-expired-2009-offer-100-000-miles-new-ba-chase-visa.html)

josephstern Nov 5, 2009 9:40 am

I just converted my account to a household account to include my wife. No reason to add my kids for now, as far as I can see.

So hopefully we'll each get cards, get some coins, and get our 200K miles and some companion tickets. Looks pretty good!

As an aside, I don't think I've ever flown BA, but considering my one and only trip on RyanAir, I'd be more than happy to patronize their rival.

doubled79 Nov 5, 2009 10:12 am

Can I fly BA from MCI or IND

I'm in for the offer. Thanks, Gary!

But can I redeem BA miles from MCI or IND. Or do I have to go to ORD or another airport where they fly out of? I looked at the BA online booking tool and MCI or IND were not listed as options.

That would reduce the value of my award. Also, any idea on the taxes on an F award to Europe?

Thanks!

adamak Nov 5, 2009 10:19 am

Last year I redeemed JFK-LHR-JNB in J, and taxes were $1k. Still worth it though, IMHO.

I am looking forward to this, esp T&C. I hope they have a long signup windows. I just applied my AA and don't want another credit pull in a week.

mia Nov 5, 2009 10:24 am

Originally Posted by doubled79 (Post 12772513)
any idea on the taxes on an F award to Europe?

Look here...

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...e/public/en_gb

Kibison Nov 5, 2009 10:30 am

I have had five of these BA cards over the last four years and I have gotten the sign-up bonus every time EXCEPT the last time, in May, 2009. They sent me a letter with my new card saying I would not qualify since I was a previous card holder.

So, I cancelled the last card to avoid the $75 annual fee.

I am certain existing or past recipients of this card will not qualify for the bonus miles.

yanxfann Nov 5, 2009 11:17 am

I guess that I'm unlike most other FT'ers in that all of the 3M+ frequent flyer miles that I've redeemed in the past 20 years have been for coach "saver" type travel, zero for Business or First. Of those miles approx 200K have been BA - mostly from Diners Club redemptions - of which all have been redeemed for use on AA metal for travel from east of the Mississippi to Hawaii (taxes have always been less than $20 roundtrip). I see this particular Chase BA Visa promo as an easy way to get almost 3 coach roundtrips - or 6 one-ways - to Hawaii for only $75, personally I don't even care about the free companion award redemption as I don't anticipate ever setting foot on BA metal.

maracle Nov 5, 2009 11:20 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 12771969)
If I'm understanding the BA redemption structure correctly, I could fly AA from NYC to Hawaii roundtrip in first class (on two-class aircraft) with en route stopovers for 70,000 BA miles, versus flying the same route without stopovers for 75,000 AAdvantage miles. Is this correct?

I'd be interested to know the situation with partners as well. If I understand the BA site, I can fly North America to South America for only 40k miles? For example I'd be interested in Detroit to Buenos Aires on AA...it would only be 40k AA miles on "offpeak" dates, which are rather limited...otherwise 60k.

However I've also tried searching on BA's site for award travel on AA and it's hard to find anything. Even dates where I can see on AA's site that there are 20k offpeak fares available they don't necessarily come up on BA - it wants to put me half on AA and half on LAN, which then costs quite a bit more miles.

Any advice on this? How does inventory work when trying to redeem BA miles on partners (not through oneworld awards)?

gleff Nov 5, 2009 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Kibison (Post 12772649)
I am certain existing or past recipients of this card will not qualify for the bonus miles.

I'm assuming not as well, but I did receive a commitment to have this question answered.

yuel Nov 5, 2009 11:36 am

if i am correct the fuel surcharge for economy usa to europe award ticket is $107 or $141 depending on # of hrs, each way or rt?

adlibitum Nov 5, 2009 11:38 am

I'm also wondering how easy it is to redeem, in my case on BA metal. We're looking for 2-4 SFO-LHR roundtrips for the family next year. Anyone have experience redeeming in economy with BA miles?

cupps Nov 5, 2009 12:03 pm

Household accounts- before or after application

Thanks for posting this great card offer. Saw the mention about household accounts. Would'nt you want to wait until after both of you have applied for a card to change to household accounts? I presume if you are all under one account that you would then only be able to apply for one card. Just want to make sure I maximize the opportunity.

mia Nov 5, 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum (Post 12773120)
Anyone have experience redeeming in economy with BA miles?

I don't think past performance will be a good indicator because BA is (potentially) flooding North America with miles. It isn't only this 100,000 mile bonus, they have also increased the earnings on the card by 25% from 1 to 1.25 miles per dollar. BA miles are also offered through any Chase card which participates in Ultimate Rewards, as well as the Amazon VISA,

In addition BA has announced their intention to join American Express Membership Rewards. The relative importance of MR redemptions is hard to judge because many business travellers have corporate cards linked to the program and no option to use another program.

This is on top of the existing ability to earn BA miles thorough Starwood Preferred Guest, one credit card issue by Bank of America (Merrill+ VISA) and one charge card issued by Citi (Diners Club Mastercard).

mia Nov 5, 2009 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by cupps (Post 12773298)
...household accounts....if you are all under one account...

The Household Account does not replace each member's separate BAEC account, it merely links them together for redemption purposes. Each member still has a separate frequent flyer number and account balance. When we transfer miles from Amazon, Chase Freedom, Diners Club or Starwood the miles are credited to an individual account.

adlibitum Nov 5, 2009 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 12773348)
I don't think past performance will be a good indicator because BA is (potentially) flooding North America with miles. It isn't only this 100,000 mile bonus, they have also increased the earnings on the card by 20% from 1 to 1.25 miles per dollar. BA miles are also offered through any Chase card which participates in Ultimate Rewards, as well as the Amazon VISA,

In addition BA has announced their intention to join American Express Membership Rewards. The relative importance of MR redemptions is hard to judge because many business travellers have corporate cards linked to the program and no option to use another program.

This is on top of the existing ability to earn BA miles thorough Starwood Preferred Guest, one credit card issue by Bank of America (Merrill+ VISA) and one charge card issued by Citi (Diners Club Mastercard).

Does that mean it will be harder to redeem with so many more miles out there, or would they open more inventory?

luv2ctheworld Nov 5, 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 12772598)

Wow... those fuel surcharges can get mighty steep!