Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by stevens397
So should I cancel my existing BA card immediately? Or should I keep it and get one for my wife?
I'll be it's only for new cardmembers.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:00 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Sign me up ... any promotional codes available to join BA's Executive Club?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:19 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by Happy
Originally Posted by abcx
I might still get the card but only because the 100k can be used on OneWorld carriers like AA which does not have a YQ. Terrible redemption value (100k for coach upto 20k miles flown like in this US-DEL example), but makes a long-haul ticket about $200 incl. all taxes and card fees which is a decent deal.
Why would it be terrible redemption value for the 20K miles flown OW award?

It is the same as AA's, 100K in Y, 130K in J and 180K in F.

Though I suspect the tax / fee would be much lower using AA miles.
For BA, the J award is 2X the Y award. So 200K BA miles for 20,000 mile OW award (instead of 130K AA). F is 3X (300K BA vs. 180K AA).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...r/public/en_us

The real value in the OW award (IMO) is because of unlimited stopovers + 1 open jaw, up to 16 segments.

I don't think BA can charge YQ for partner routes (unless the partner themselves charges one), since it's not booked as a codeshare or anything. But I may be wrong
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tmcneill
Redemption Flights and Redemption Vouchers may only be used for flights on British Airways mainline service, which have a BA prefixed flight number. Travel on franchise, codeshare or alliance airlines is not permitted.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...2/public/en_us
For those of us located on the east coast, the next sentence is also a problematic restriction:

"All travel must originate in and return to the US."

If all you wanted was a pair of BA J or F seats from LHR to CPT, MRU, or DEL etc., this offer won't work for you. [From NYC one can almost always find a cheap, paid TATL flight on AA, CO or DL that costs significantly less than what BA charges for fuel surcharges alone. To also spend a lot of miles for the TATL --- in addition to high fuel surcharges --- is typically not a good use of BA mles]
Old Nov 4, 2009, 11:31 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
For those of us located on the east coast, the next sentence is also a problematic restriction:

"All travel must originate in and return to the US."

If all you wanted was a pair of BA J or F seats from LHR to CPT, MRU, or DEL etc., this offer won't work for you. [From NYC one can almost always find a cheap, paid TATL flight on AA, CO or DL that costs significantly less than what BA charges for fuel surcharges alone. To also spend a lot of miles for the TATL --- in addition to high fuel surcharges --- is typically not a good use of BA mles]
And even if there is partner availability, I think BA will put you on their own metal if it's available (and subsequently charging you their extra fees).

That's why the oneworld award seems like the best deal to me, unless you're pooling multiple of these bonuses together for a longhaul F/J award. You get to at least choose the metal you fly on.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The value in the card is the free companion award, that requires BA metal, and there the value is in premium class travel.. leverage it the way I described above, 2 people get the card and pool miles via a household account... one hits the minimum spend for the voucher.. 240k miles 2 ppl fly F US-LHR-DXB. Crazy, considering it's only $32k in total spend on a credit card to get that. ^

Or 1 person could get the card, put $40k in spend on it, hit 150k miles and 2 people fly say LAX-LHR in F.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is already a thread in the BA forum discussing the 2-for-1 voucher and other changes to the card.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-earnings.html
Old Nov 5, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Plat.
This is a big time win for me. I live in Tampa, and Tampa's only non-stop to Eurpoe is BA to Gatwick. It kills me that my AA miles won't work on the flight, and I have thought about trying to rack up BA miles just to redeem for that award, so Mrs. Mike1625 can have a non-stop (where I have grown used to looking for out of the way stops as often as possible).
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
How do I household accounts? I have a BAEC account and my wife doesn't. Does she need to sign up for an account and then we combine them?

Mike
Old Nov 5, 2009, 7:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
I household accounts?
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

Scroll down to Section 16, Household Accounts
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by mia
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...s/public/en_us

Scroll down to Section 16, Household Accounts

Mike
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
This always happens. Get the card, then a better offer comes along. Will they allow a second card or are all of we early adopters out of luck on this offer?

JudyJFLA
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If I'm understanding the BA redemption structure correctly, I could fly AA from NYC to Hawaii roundtrip in first class (on two-class aircraft) with en route stopovers for 70,000 BA miles, versus flying the same route without stopovers for 75,000 AAdvantage miles. Is this correct?

Edited to add: BAEC has advised that flying first class on AA, even on a two-class aircraft, requires redemption at the first class award level, which would be 105,000 BAEC miles for NYC-Hawaii on AA. But en route stopovers, at connecting points along the "most direct routing," are free and unlimited.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 16, 2009 at 8:32 am
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
knowing BA's wonderful standards..they will probably cancel the miles bonus once you sign up for the card...just because they can. leaving you with a card you don't need or necessarily want and no "free" trip if you can even call it that.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by guv1976
If I'm understanding the BA redemption structure correctly, I could fly AA from NYC to Hawaii roundtrip in first class (on two-class aircraft) with en route stopovers for 70,000 BA miles, versus flying the same route without stopovers for 75,000 AAdvantage miles. Is this correct?
Hmmm...anyone confirm this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.