Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired 2009 offer]100,000 miles for new BA Chase VISA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Certainly, you can get to any city that AA serves with its own metal. You may have to make a connection or two to get there from LIT, but that should not be an issue. I know that AA serves both Tokyo and Shanghai (and will be adding Beijing in a few months), so those are possibilities.

You might also want to inquire of the BAEC service center as to whether cdeshares operated by a second carrier -- but carrying an AA flight number -- count as AA flights for award redemption purposes. If codeshares are permissible for redemption purposes, and if you can leave from DFW, you should have many more destination choices, as the AA nonstops between DFW and NRT also carry JL flight numbers as codeshares.
I thought that the BA award program won't let you fly a transatlantic flight (or cross either side of the North America pond) using AA. I remember reading that it won't let you fly to Europe or India on AA with BA awards. I'm not sure that Hong Kong (or another Far East Zone) would qualify as a transatlantic flight too?

That is a good tip with the second carrier AA flight number, i'll check into that.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by frankiwa
I thought that the BA award program won't let you fly a transatlantic flight (or cross either side of the North America pond) using AA. I remember reading that it won't let you fly to Europe or India on AA with BA awards. I'm not sure that Hong Kong (or another Far East Zone) would qualify as a transatlantic flight too?

That is a good tip with the second carrier AA flight number, i'll check into that.
I was not suggesting crossing the Atlantic. AA offers nonstop service between the U.S. and both Japan and China, and these are NOT trans-Atlantic flights; they are trans-Pacific flights.

If codeshares are permitted, you could fly AA to California, and then CX to HKG, or the AA-JL codeshare to NRT, and then JL to some other Far East destination. And remember: BAEC awards permit free en route stopovers.

Last edited by guv1976; Dec 20, 2009 at 1:11 pm
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all of the posts about what works here. Looks like after all of my miles post, I'll be able to go LAX-NRT on AA for my family of four with our two credit cards on our household account. For $85 x 2! Amazing!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:05 pm

Guv, You are the man! That site you posted to keep the search a solo airline is extremely helpful. It should be on a sticky somewhere.

Josephstern, Enjoy your trip! You might want to see if you can make NRT just a stopover (for a week or so) and go further into Hong Kong (or another East Asian destination) if you can line up the next leg on the same airline metal as your LAX-NRT.

By the way the single partner airline to South America is only 40,000 miles which is also a fantastic deal!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by deltame
Yeah, I worked hard to "spend" the $2k: bought a number of airline gift certificates in relatively small and sensible denominations as I'd want pay the remainder cost of each trip using a PPE card in order to earn flight points. It was an obsession, nevertheless.
holy guacamole! thats a great idea! buy airline GC....duhhhh...I'm gonna spend money anyways on air travel in the future...so might as well get these and cover the basic spend.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
codeshares can't be used that way
Old Dec 20, 2009, 4:55 pm

We did not get our sign-up bonuses from Chase

Partner and I both signed up with Chase. We have both had the BA card with Chase before. We had our first miles post after the first bill closed, (for both of us). No bonus sign up miles (50K) for either one of us, only miles for the actual spend on the card (only1:1 too, not 1:1.25). I will contact Chase when I get back from out of town, to hopefully straighten this out!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by SkinsFan0521
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but I was looking at the T&C for the companion ticket and this was in there:

15. Frequent Flyers Miles may not be used for redemption or upgrades in conjunction with this offer but frequent flyer mileage may be earned on the revenue ticket.

So, does that mean that if you get one of these companion tickets you can't use your 100k miles for your ticket and the companion ticket together?

I have read through this entire thread once and I thought I read (but admittedly I didn't go back through the 100+ pages to double-check) that you could use your 100k miles to get yourself a Business Class ticket and use the companion ticket to basically get 2 "free" business class tickets to Europe? That doesn't seem to be allowed, unless I just don't understand the T&C?

Also, the original reason that I was looking at the T&C is to see if I could use the companion ticket on a partner airline, but it says that it's only good on BA flights. I hadn't seen that mentioned in this thread yet either, but I may have missed it.
Well the T&C do put a damper on that option. However, the specific T&C are linked from this page which does not indicate a spend requirement for getting the ticket.

However, you can view this post which points to the correct web page and T&C that indicate a bonus companion with FF mile use.

Last edited by Aitchly; Dec 20, 2009 at 7:10 pm Reason: added info
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The oneworld interactive map is helpful indeed, but it wouldn't work for me because it doesn't show an interactive map for any single airline within the one world partners, it only shows the oneworld grouped together and not broken down for which airline is used on any route. To get the 50,000 mile economy class deal to the Far East Zone it has to be on a single partner airline round trip.
Dont know why it seems so complicated to you.

It really is not very many choices out there when you stick with SINGLE member airline of the OW from US to Far East. JL and AA to NRT, AA also goes to China from US. JL can go to NRT and then either China or Hong Kong, and SE Asia. CX can go to HKG and from HKG to China and SE Asia. You just need to know each airline's Gateway cities in US. Hint: they are all hub cities, incl JFK, ORD, DFW, LAX, SFO & YVR. Not all the 3 mentioned would depart from all the above-mentioned cities to Far East, but the search shouldn't be that hard?

Besides, you are not going Transatlantic to Far East. You are going Trans Pacific, heading West.

No codeshare is allowed. i.e. you cannot use a JL codeshare with AA metal to get from DFW to SFO then onto NRT on a JL metal.

Again, you can claim 2 x One-Way awards - you can go to Far East on AA and return on JL, for example.

If you insist to search on a r/t and from a specific city, you limit a lot of your options.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 20, 2009 at 8:37 pm
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vindesante
Partner and I both signed up with Chase. We have both had the BA card with Chase before. We had our first miles post after the first bill closed, (for both of us). No bonus sign up miles (50K) for either one of us, only miles for the actual spend on the card (only1:1 too, not 1:1.25). I will contact Chase when I get back from out of town, to hopefully straighten this out!
This is the reason why you do not get the bonuses. But you are supposedly still get the 1:1.25 earning rate, as well as the spending $30K a calendar year to get the free companion award voucher.

Good luck for getting this sort out with Chase but the chances dont look good as it has already reported on this thread that someone who has BA card before, is shot down by Chase on the bonus miles - the T&C clearly preclude such for previous BA cardholders.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in the same boat - no miles have posted, other than the miles for purchases.

I haven't had a Chase card in any recent memory, nor has my wife.

But neither 50K has posted, and both of our statements have closed.

Am I SOL?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I take that back - I just saw mine post today!

So I got 100K, but nothing for my wife. I'll give it a few days rather than go through the phone call hassle.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm in the same boat - no miles have posted, other than the miles for purchases.

I haven't had a Chase card in any recent memory, nor has my wife.

But neither 50K has posted, and both of our statements have closed.

Am I SOL?
No.

Have you received email from Chase welcome you to the BA card? In that email the bonuses and benefits are detailed out. If your apps were done before Nov 30, you should definitely have that Welcome email.

Do you see the miles on Chase Statement? Or you are only checking your BA accounts? As long as the miles are on Chase Statement (viewable online), it is a timing issue.

It could be a matter of batch-processing of bonuses and your statement dates happened to miss the last processing time. But this is just my guess.

You can send Chase a secured email to inquire why your bonus is a no-show. Secured email gives you a written record and works far better than talking to phone rep.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All I see on my wife's Chase statement is:

"Miles earned for purchases this period 625
Total miles transferred to Executive Club 625"

I do have the emails.

Think I should call, or give it some time?

For reference, I do see the two bonuses on my statement.

Strangely, my wife got her card first. But she did apply for it after mine.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Guv, You are the man! That site you posted to keep the search a solo airline is extremely helpful. It should be on a sticky somewhere.
No, that stuff doesn't belong in the sticky because FT has an entire forum devoted to the BA Executive Club (and BA also has website of its own). This thread is about the BA Chase Visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.