Wiki Posts
Search

Panama and El Salvador passport stamp questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Panama and El Salvador passport stamp questions

I am considering a trip to Panama and El Salvador, I would arrive in each country by air. My current passport is nearly full and I have some travel booked before my planned trip to Panama and El Salvador. Realistically, once I return from my first trip, I will have one full blank page (or maybe even half a blank page left in my passport). I will only be home for about a week; so I will not be able to get a new passport (I have a Canadian passport and I can't just add pages like some countries do). My questions:-

How large are the Panama and El Salvador entry stamps? Do the countries stamp on entry and on exit (all the Central American countries I have been to have only stamped passports when I entered the country). I will only enter each country once.

Any information will be appreciated, I need to organize my schedule and the only thing stopping me from buying my airline ticket is the lack of space in my passport. Going at a later date isn't an option for now, as I have commitments at home.

Last edited by startpacking; Aug 18, 2012 at 7:34 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Panama stamps you both in and out. Each stamp takes up about one-quarter of a passport page. (Mine is U.S.) I see only entry stamps in my passport for El Salvador. They're also about one-quarter of a page each.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, SJOGuy; it sounds like I need a full blank page for Panama and El Salvador.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I always find these threads interesting because, even though my passport has ALWAYS had plenty of space for stamps.........immigration agents of both the US and CR do not really care one bit and relentlessly put stamp over stamp to the point that I counted at least 10 in one page, its crazy
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
Actually, El Salvador is the only Central American country that I have visited that actually inserts a large visa sticker into the passport upon arrival and then stamps that. It easily takes 3/4 of a passport page or possibly a whole page depending on how it is positioned. It is then stamped on arrival but not exit upon payment of USD 10. Not sure if this is required from Canadian citizens, but I imagine it likely is. The previous poster may not have encountered if he holds a passport from another Central American country.

Years ago, I recall that Panama stamped on both entry and exit, with a round quarter-page stamp. On my most recent visit, they only stamped on entry.

I don't recall the airline ever checking that I had sufficient pages on trips to Central America as they do in the case of South Africa. You never know, but I probably wouldn't be too concerned.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:56 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I've never been given an exit stamp in PTY. When I asked, I was told that if you're flying CM, you don't get one.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:27 pm

El Salvador only stamps on entry at the airport.

Stamp sizes:

Originally Posted by mkt
I've never been given an exit stamp in PTY. When I asked, I was told that if you're flying CM, you don't get one.
I didn't get an exit stamp either, I was flying CM.

Originally Posted by miguel0881
Actually, El Salvador is the only Central American country that I have visited that actually inserts a large visa sticker into the passport upon arrival and then stamps that. It easily takes 3/4 of a passport page or possibly a whole page depending on how it is positioned. It is then stamped on arrival but not exit upon payment of USD 10. Not sure if this is required from Canadian citizens, but I imagine it likely is. The previous poster may not have encountered if he holds a passport from another Central American country.
That's the $10 Tarjeta de Turismo or Tourist Card, it's given on arrival to passport holders of certain countries (U.S. and Australia for example).

It seems that Canadians don't need a Tourist Card according to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website:

http://www.rree.gob.sv/index.php?opt...sas&Itemid=176

Last edited by higo; Aug 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
I regularly fly into El Salvador, they only stamp on entry and its not a large stamp. As a UK citizen i don't get the visa sticker added.

I have been to Panama a few times and i have only had entry stamps. This may be due to the fact that my departing flights have always been to other Central American countries.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by miguel0881
Actually, El Salvador is the only Central American country that I have visited that actually inserts a large visa sticker into the passport upon arrival and then stamps that. It easily takes 3/4 of a passport page or possibly a whole page depending on how it is positioned.
It's a tourist card, not a visa.

If you arrive from a CA-4 country (Guatemala, Nicaragua or Honduras) with a tourist card from there still valid for the original entry period (like 90 days for Nicaragua) then you don't have to pay but frankly you need good Spanish to remind them of that. You still get the sticker thing though.

If you ask they will staple it in the passport and stamp only the passport so you can toss it out. They're not unaware how big they are.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 8:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Be aware - some countries require TWO PAGES (a few even more) for admission, others require your passport be valid for six months after entry, some others for six months beyond the date they give you to depart. In any case, in my opinion FT is not the ultimate place to ask - some members may be well informed, but check what the airlines check - Timatic (Delta offers a free version here).

Fill in citizenship of traveller (or alien resident of what country), destination and connecting country, and see results.

E.g. US citizen arriving from US to Panam:

Code:
 / 26SEP12 / 0328 UTC

National USA (US)               /Destination Panama (PA)

Visa Information - Desination Country

/Panama (PA)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
  at least three months beyond date of arrival.
- Warning: if departing from the USA (regardless of any
  destination passport exemptions), a valid passport and/or
  accepted departure document For details, <click here is required by the
  US immigration authorities>. 

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 180 days for
nationals of USA.

Minors:
- Passengers under 18 years of age, being nationals of Panama,

legal residents of Panama or born in Panama, can leave from
  Panama if : For details, <click here>

Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
  cover their stay. The amount of funds needed is USD 500.-
  per person. Evidence of funds may be in the form of cash
  (USD only) or traveller's cheques. 
- Visitors are required to hold documents for their next
  destination. 

Warning:
- Return/onward ticket is required to travel to Panama.

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - CANADA: VISA REQUIRED FOR FIVE
NATIONALITIES

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.