San Salvador 7.5 hour Layover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation

Wife and I will have a lengthy layover beginning around 8am at San Salvador.

We are travelling J but would welcome suggestions for activities so we don't have to stay the lounge for a day.

My brief Google search suggests there are neat towns and a beach nearby and maybe going into the city itself is not a wise idea. I look forward to the FlyerTalk wisdom!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
As an added note: this will be in January. I am planning significantly in advance.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1P
I enjoyed dinner at the beach prior to heading to the airport on one visit. There are some restaurants, etc. right on the beach at San Marcelino, which isn't far from the airport. Others might be able to recommend other beaches. You could also visit some sites in San Salvador, which is half an hour or so from the airport. The cathedral, national palace, Romero's former church/home are highlights. You can probably negotiate a rate for r/t transportation from the airport. I probably wouldn't go further afield with the limited time you have -- theoretically you could make it to Suchitoto and back, but probably wouldn't be worth it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:05 pm

If the weather's nice and you would like to visit a beachfront restaurant you could go to "Hola De Betos", near El Tunco beach for brunch, just check opening hours first. It's 40 kilometers East from the Airport.

Or you could head north and visit El Boquerón, a volcano near San Salvador which should be about 1:15 hours from the airport, and then have a nice coffee cup at Viva Expreso in La Gran Via before heading back to the airport.

The El Boqueron national park is not open on Mondays AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.