Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX to close KA!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2020, 8:50 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
That's not likely to happen when it's CX, HX and UO competing for slots. CX and UO should be able to fetch at least 2/3 of the rights unless CAAC doesn't want to give it to CX due to previous FA actions.

Plus I am unsure if HX is even healthy enough to fly consider CX is already doing so bad in HKG.
CAAC is not directly involved here.
Route authority and traffic rights are returned to CAD, which will then decide how to reallocate them based upon applications received.

For Cathay, it’s a gamble here whether they will get all they ask for. Given HX’s strained financial situation and reduced fleet prior to COVID-19, is it in any shape to expand?
Old Oct 21, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
It appeared sensible to close KA when CX needed to restructure the company and cut costs drastically and quickly. But now if routes are to be returned and redistributed, I wonder if CX management has considered the risk of losing them especially those to mainland China. CX can’t last if it loses these O&D and transit pax.

And for UO as the substitute, no way! I’d fly other airlines instead.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blum81
I'm also hoping not to ply HK Express from KUL to HKG...
Highly doubt this would happen--they would get slaughtered by MH, who actually offers a decent business class product on the route, particular on the flights operated by the A330.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by SLGO
It appeared sensible to close KA when CX needed to restructure the company and cut costs drastically and quickly. But now if routes are to be returned and redistributed, I wonder if CX management has considered the risk of losing them especially those to mainland China. CX can’t last if it loses these O&D and transit pax.

In hindsight, I am wondering if CX did not acquire UO in the first place, will they be able to keep KA?
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by SLGO

With HX in its own trouble and the bay area airline still in the process of getting its operating license, I think CX management considered this is already the best time to do so. Once the bay area airline has started operating, CX will have even higher risk of losing rights than it is now.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 12:41 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by CS300
CAAC is not directly involved here.
Route authority and traffic rights are returned to CAD, which will then decide how to reallocate them based upon applications received.

For Cathay, it’s a gamble here whether they will get all they ask for. Given HX’s strained financial situation and reduced fleet prior to COVID-19, is it in any shape to expand?
Yeah I understand CAAC is not directly involved but they do have a say if they don't want to let CX fly.

With the status quo I think CX took the right step in terms of gambling cause HX's financial situation must be dire. I mean even if HX secure the rights it's unlikely any airline will be running any flights in the coming months (if not years).
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by blum81
I'm also hoping not to ply HK Express from KUL to HKG...
Originally Posted by dkc192
Highly doubt this would happen--they would get slaughtered by MH, who actually offers a decent business class product on the route, particular on the flights operated by the A330.
For reasons of work I got the same comments too.

I had to parrot Short hair Francis theory repeatedly: "MH is not a dangerous airline. It's MH 777s that are dangerous flights, and all their 777s are gone. If it's Boeing I'm not going!"
Old Oct 22, 2020, 3:05 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by patrickw
With HX in its own trouble and the bay area airline still in the process of getting its operating license, I think CX management considered this is already the best time to do so. Once the bay area airline has started operating, CX will have even higher risk of losing rights than it is now.
Not sure how long would it take for the authority to re-distribute the routes of KA, and also not sure when any new airline can participate in bidding the routes. Hope CX management is right about the timing, otherwise they'd be making the same (if not more serious) mistake as to oil hedging and in great trouble.

For HX, I guess they won't be interested / cannot bid KA's route that they are currently operating? I think those routes with highest stakes are PEK, PVG etc.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dkc192
MH is also struggling, it is "50 steps laughing at the 100 steps".
Old Oct 22, 2020, 6:13 am

The most valuable flight rights owned by KA are PEK, PVG and SHA. 3th/4th freedom to all other Mainland airports are not limited.

But please also notice that these three airports are also slot-constrained. No more new slots will be allocated in PEK and SHA and slots in PVG are highly limited. Normally it is allowed to transfer slots to another airline under the same parent group. It seems no difficultity for CX to get airport slots owned by KA, but HX and Great Bay Airline are not likely to get new slots.

Even if not all the flight rights previously owned by KA are allocated to CX but to HX or Great Bay Airline, since they do not have slots of PEK/PVG/SHA, they still cannot compete with CX, or HKCAD will reject their application since they do not have any new slots in PEK/PVG/SHA.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
To be honest as a C class flyer I'm not that sad. I used to be a KA fan, but since CX take over it has slowly degraded and the year before COVID I would even consider it on part with Chinese airlines (which is not a good thing). Seriously, I have had better experiences in C class on China Eastern, Sichuan, or even Hong Kong Airlines than on KA. In my opinion it's good that KA gets axed now when most of the memories are its glory days. KA was destined to be a cheap-fare airline, and with HK Express there's really no need for them to exist.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
To be honest as a C class flyer I'm not that sad. I used to be a KA fan, but since CX take over it has slowly degraded and the year before COVID I would even consider it on part with Chinese airlines (which is not a good thing). Seriously, I have had better experiences in C class on China Eastern, Sichuan, or even Hong Kong Airlines than on KA. In my opinion it's good that KA gets axed now when most of the memories are its glory days. KA was destined to be a cheap-fare airline, and with HK Express there's really no need for them to exist.
Time to consider a username change too! Or not, given how valuable the Cathay Dragon brand has just become to sentimentalists.

On a separate note, as a regular passenger from RGN to YVR relying on KA metal.... I’m in danger...
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:21 am

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...pacific-likely

SCMP CX journalist Danny: Cathay Pacific likely to retain axed subsidiary’s routes, sources say, but push for transparency ongoing behind scenes

Its parent company received assurances from the Hong Kong government and other stakeholders that it would hold on to most of the regional carrier’s traffic rights before making the move to shut it down, multiple sources told the Post.

“It’s not that difficult. Of course, it would be done after completing due process,” one government source said.
“The management has done a lot of reaching out and engagement. They had to sound out the stakeholders, and the board and shareholders had to approve it. You can see all the preparation work that had to be done so they could make sure [the rights] could be obtained,” a source close to the Cathay Pacific Airways board said.

“But obviously, at the end of the day, you still have to go through the process.”
As for Great Bay Airline founded by Bill Wong:
But a government insider who spoke to the Post did not think Wong’s airline stood much of a chance.

“I don’t see anyone, including the central government, that would really favour Bill Wong,” the source said.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I don't quite agree. If HX gets half of KA's existing mainland slots, CX will be in a bad shape. I'm sure CX would like to keep most (if not all) of KA's mainland slots.
But HX has no long haul services left even before the pandemic, most of its planes in bad shape and its reputation really bad within HK community... Don't think it can revive even if it gets Mainland slots from KA.
In fact, one of the most common jokes these days is that no one can ever guess HX could outlive KA LOL
Old Oct 22, 2020, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
That's not likely to happen when it's CX, HX and UO competing for slots. CX and UO should be able to fetch at least 2/3 of the rights unless CAAC doesn't want to give it to CX due to previous FA actions.

Plus I am unsure if HX is even healthy enough to fly consider CX is already doing so bad in HKG.
Maybe CX can fire those took part in protests/ strikes last year to sort of reassure CAAC. Afterall there has never been better chance to fire flight attendants given how ferocious their labour unions are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.