Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 2:31 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by sxc
BA (and QF) are both doing the equivalent of auto renewal. Any status points will zero at the end of their respective membership years.

BA however went one better and said that the renewal targets for the following year are reduced by 25% - something neither QF or CX have done.
Does that beat JAL extending everyone who had Fly-On Status on 31 December 2019 to 31 March 2022? Depends on when the BAEC renewal is right?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sxc
BA (and QF) are both doing the equivalent of auto renewal. Any status points will zero at the end of their respective membership years.

BA however went one better and said that the renewal targets for the following year are reduced by 25% - something neither QF or CX have done.
saw someone’s BA Gold renewed to May2022...
Old Jun 22, 2020, 8:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
saw someone’s BA Gold renewed to May2022...
My BA status also got extended. But BA was clear that at the end of the pre-extended status year, any tier points would be cleared.

What they did was extend the “card expiry date” which is the length of your status, but the tier point collection period remained the same date.

Last edited by sxc; Jun 22, 2020 at 10:10 pm
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Why so? CX has extended the auto-renewal to those members whose membership year expires between Jan. and Apr. 2021. See https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...r-renewal.html
Has there been an update to this? Anyone any insight if there is likely to be a revision given that we still cannot travel and we're heading into July.

The reason I ask is that my membership year just ended May 2020 and I put a great deal of effort in re-qualifying for Gold which I achieved without all those relief points. So, the additional year doesn't make any difference to me at all. I had already qualified "legitimately". And now I cannot travel.

As I understand it, if my membership year had ended in April 2020 then I would get an additional year from April 2021, right? So I missed out on this by one month. With no possibility of qualifying with actual flights before May 2021, have there been any noises about an extension of this policy?

Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Has there been an update to this? Anyone any insight if there is likely to be a revision given that we still cannot travel and we're heading into July.

The reason I ask is that my membership year just ended May 2020 and I put a great deal of effort in re-qualifying for Gold which I achieved without all those relief points. So, the additional year doesn't make any difference to me at all. I had already qualified "legitimately". And now I cannot travel.

As I understand it, if my membership year had ended in April 2020 then I would get an additional year from April 2021, right? So I missed out on this by one month. With no possibility of qualifying with actual flights before May 2021, have there been any noises about an extension of this policy?

Thanks.
No updates as of now.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: CX DM
Has anyone heard any news regarding what will be done for memberships renewing this year?
Old Jan 5, 2021, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by clazza
Has anyone heard any news regarding what will be done for memberships renewing this year?
Nada...after taking a 7month membership holiday I still have 2 more months left from my previous year and since I already have 1600+ I'll let it lapse into my new membership year at the end of February 2021. The thing is I honestly don't think I could travel within the next 6 to 10 months due to Covid, so Im hoping either CX announces another free year or at least another extra Membership holiday allocation.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 1:24 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Marco Polo Club continues to be the most complicated frequent flyer program in the world for unknown reasons.

My membership holiday is ending soon, so I'll see whether Cathay does anything with my DM status -- I still have a full year until Jan 2022.
FlyPointyEnd and clubeurope like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 2:18 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by clazza
SQ just extended my PPS for another 12 months. Hopefully CX will do similar.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Would definitely look for the same arrangement as last year, as my wife cannot retain her (lowly) SL otherwise.

For myself, it’s a big pity that my membership year ended on 31-12-2019 and just could not enjoy the status extension. Anyway I’ve got myself to BA so not a big issue.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by SLGO
Would definitely look for the same arrangement as last year, as my wife cannot retain her (lowly) SL otherwise.

For myself, it’s a big pity that my membership year ended on 31-12-2019 and just could not enjoy the status extension. Anyway I’ve got myself to BA so not a big issue.
Your membership ended December 31,2019? you should have been entitled to the 3 months of points relief and I believe those whose membership ended December 31,2020 are eligible for automatic renewal.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Your membership ended December 31,2019? you should have been entitled to the 3 months of points relief and I believe those whose membership ended December 31,2020 are eligible for automatic renewal.
Yes I think my membership ended in 31-12-2019 and I become an AM member since then.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Points relief were only introduced in Feb. 2020. Members whose membership expired in Dec. 2019 cannot use COVID-19 as an excuse.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by SLGO
Yes I think my membership ended in 31-12-2019 and I become an AM member since then.
you mean at the end of your year you were not able to qualify for a renewal?
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Points relief were only introduced in Feb. 2020. Members whose membership expired in Dec. 2019 cannot use COVID-19 as an excuse.
I thought his year ended but he reached the minimum CP for renewal.
ernestnywang likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.