Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2021, 10:47 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
Originally Posted by Felix Felicis
Just called and also got the same advice, BUT maybe my situation is different? Am currently on membership holiday till Feb 28, 2021. Sitting on 945 C.P. (Gold). Wanted to extend holiday till Aug 31, 2021. Next paid trip September (fingers crossed) will net me 280 C.P. and thus upgrade to Diamond. Was dissuaded from doing so. But if I wait for automatic extension, won't my points revert to Zero? Renewal guidelines not so clear on this case; just that upon auto renewal, C.P.s revert to Zero!!
When did you go on holiday and when was your year previously set to renew?
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Just called and also got the same advice, BUT maybe my situation is different? Am currently on membership holiday till Feb 28, 2021. Sitting on 945 C.P. (Gold). Wanted to extend holiday till Aug 31, 2021. Next paid trip September (fingers crossed) will net me 280 C.P. and thus upgrade to Diamond. Was dissuaded from doing so. But if I wait for automatic extension, won't my points revert to Zero? Renewal guidelines not so clear on this case; just that upon auto renewal, C.P.s revert to Zero!!
Membership holidays cannot be amended (i.e. shorten/extended). When is your year ending?

At the end of your year you will be automatically renewed to your current tier level (regardless of how many points you have) and your points will revert to zero.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
Membership holidays cannot be amended (i.e. shorten/extended). When is your year ending?

At the end of your year you will be automatically renewed to your current tier level (regardless of how many points you have) and your points will revert to zero.
True but for those who took a membership holiday during the Covid period due to the uncertainty, write/call CX when you have exhausted all your holidays. They told me that they will grant another.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
True but for those who took a membership holiday during the Covid period due to the uncertainty, write/call CX when you have exhausted all your holidays. They told me that they will grant another.
my holiday just ended last December, i have 2 months left from my 2019-2020 year, I decided to just let things lapse into my new year this March 1. Although to be really honest I don't see I will be traveling this year.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:16 am

[DELETED]
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:39 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KFG, Marriott Plat, AccorG
Original membership year end was Sep 30, 2020. Used Holiday #1 to extend expiry to Feb 28, 2021. Wanted to use Holiday #2 to extend to Aug. 31, 2021. After which I wanted to travel Sep 2021, and get the add'l 280 points to get to Diamond. But am Gold qualified already anyway; just a shame about being so close to going up a level as I was intending to do before the pandemic. (First world problems I know...)
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:10 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
LOL. My Membership Year ends Jan 2022 because I went on Holiday to now.

Guess what Cathay's response was? Shouldn't be too hard of a guess.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Well, I expected this and they have delivered. My Gold membership year ends in May. So whether I will be able to re-qualify 2021-2022 is anyone's guess. I've done no travel whatsoever in my current membership year. What happens next will depend on how quickly HKers can travel again which, I imagine, will require immunisation certificates and a Covid travel passport like the one proposed by IATA though this isn't the place to discuss such things. The point is, if we get halfway through 2021 and we're still not able to travel to the degree that will acccrue enough points then they'll almost-certainly do something else like another status extension.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Well, I expected this and they have delivered. My Gold membership year ends in May. So whether I will be able to re-qualify 2021-2022 is anyone's guess. I've done no travel whatsoever in my current membership year. What happens next will depend on how quickly HKers can travel again which, I imagine, will require immunisation certificates and a Covid travel passport like the one proposed by IATA though this isn't the place to discuss such things. The point is, if we get halfway through 2021 and we're still not able to travel to the degree that will acccrue enough points then they'll almost-certainly do something else like another status extension.
If I understand correctly, you will automatically be renewed to May 2022. And hopefully we can all travel in 2022 at the latest.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ozchinois
If I understand correctly, you will automatically be renewed to May 2022. And hopefully we can all travel in 2022 at the latest.
Yes. But it does depend on how many useful months there are in the 2021-2022 qualification period there are as to whether further requalification is possible. With a requalification month of May then let's see what the situation is when we get to it. My point is, that I'm not losing any sleep over it. Either it's possible and it's up to me or it's not possible (for me or anyone within reason) and it's up to Cathay.

I'm now interested in what happens to the 56k Asia Miles that will expire at the end of October with (currently) no possiblity of using them for their original intended purpose or indeed any purpose whatsoever.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
This has to be the worst treatment I've had as top tier in an airline, to be honest. Expensive fares, mediocre customer service, and nonsensical mileage program. Cathay can go bankrupt for all I care at this point, this DM is out.
Old Jan 30, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
I'm now interested in what happens to the 56k Asia Miles that will expire at the end of October with (currently) no possiblity of using them for their original intended purpose or indeed any purpose whatsoever.
Why not? Can't you book travel before they expire for a date up to almost a year later?
Old Jan 30, 2021, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Why not? Can't you book travel before they expire for a date up to almost a year later?
Well, the original plan was to use these for a return in business class to South America this summer so that's obviously not viable any more. I've been saving AMs for years for this trip. Oh well.

Nearer the expiry date I''ll have to see what, if anything, is viable and bookable. But I cannot see many people actively redeeming AMs for flights at the moment for flights that may or may not take place to countries that may or may not let you in. Or maybe I'm wrong and people are booking and using with confidence. Just me.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 9:14 pm

Original membership year end was Sep 30, 2020. Used Holiday #1 to extend expiry to Feb 28, 2021. Wanted to use Holiday #2 to extend to Aug. 31, 2021. After which I wanted to travel Sep 2021, and get the add'l 280 points to get to Diamond. But am Gold qualified already anyway; just a shame about being so close to going up a level as I was intending to do before the pandemic. (First world problems I know...)
Go for it, however you have to remember that you can only take a maximum of 3 membership holidays through out your membership lifetime.
Old Jan 31, 2021, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
LOL. My Membership Year ends Jan 2022 because I went on Holiday to now.

Guess what Cathay's response was? Shouldn't be too hard of a guess.
I'm hoping they will announce a renewal for those expiring between Jan-April2022. Like last year, Jan-April 2021 automatic renewal was announced around June 2020

Last edited by FlyPointyEnd; Jan 31, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.