Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX provides status extension and Club Points Relief

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by hermanc
I don't think you should be too upset about this. Everyone makes their decision based on the best available information at the time.

To come back and suggest that you are somehow short changed because the policy changed due to external factors is frankly unbecoming.

Maybe the manager is right that CX may extend the renewal next month. Maybe not. Either way it is external factors that's driving decisions.

After all, it is just airline status...purely a first world problem given the current situation!
I agree that external factors are changing everyday. However, I dont argee policy making should change time by time too.
From club points relief, extension for membership expiring May 2020-Dec 2020, to May 2020-April 2021, CX has changed thier policies three times!
Does CX really know what they are doing? Is there any other airline like CX extending membership in 3 different policies?
I expect a airline company which is much more decisive.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
@wyskevin I think I would prefer an airline that is realistic and changes as the situation changes. They are looking to the bulk of their membership, and had they provided the 3 months of points relief and nothing else because they were "decisive", then it would have alienated most of the members.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by sxc
@wyskevin I think I would prefer an airline that is realistic and changes as the situation changes. They are looking to the bulk of their membership, and had they provided the 3 months of points relief and nothing else because they were "decisive", then it would have alienated most of the members.
It is fine to provide club points relief as well as extending membership 12 month for whose membership expring between May 2020 to April 2021.
The issue came from announcing the second policy which was extension membership only for those expiring bewteen May 2020- Dec 2020.
If CX was decisive enough, skipped the second policy and went straight to the third one, then there wouldnt be any issues (at least for me)..

Oh, by the way, if CX only provided points relief and no automatic tier renewal, I am pretty fine with that...
At least it is fair for everyone and I will still keep support CX.

Last edited by wyskevin; May 27, 2020 at 1:09 am
Old May 27, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Oh stop whining. Fly HX
Old May 27, 2020, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Oh stop whining. Fly HX
thx for your very supportive advice. Yes, I am thinking about other alternatives indeed
Old May 27, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
Originally Posted by wyskevin
thx for your very supportive advice. Yes, I am thinking about other alternatives indeed
Well, have a look at the miles and status acquiring and spendings of KL, AF, LH and SAS and you'll understand how lucky you should be with how CX does do these things. Let alone the CX cash refunds which are non-existing for the former listed ones and many more airlines.
Old May 27, 2020, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Cambo
Well, have a look at the miles and status acquiring and spendings of KL, AF, LH and SAS and you'll understand how lucky you should be with how CX does do these things. Let alone the CX cash refunds which are non-existing for the former listed ones and many more airlines.
Sorry, are we talking about the same thing? ticket refund or membership extension?
When most airlines in the world straightly announce all members getting one year membership extension or more, CX is probably the only one making 3 different policies for this.
During these policies, there was an issue happening and CX didnt solve this problem for me.

But I get your point. Here is CX forum and most people are their supporters. Trust me, I was with you guys.
Frankly, this membership extension thing doesnt cause any physical damage but it hit the emotional part in a negative way. Betrayed mabybe?
When people make decision, emotion or personal preference can play an important rule.
As long as I like this airline and will keep flying with them, it doesnt matter they offer me cash refund, miles refund or whatever credits.

Oh, by the way, regarding to ticket refund, SQ is brilliant!
They offer extra credits when passengers choose not to get cash refund...
ernestnywang likes this.

Last edited by wyskevin; May 27, 2020 at 10:20 pm
Old May 27, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Sorry, are we talking about the same thing? ticket refund or membership extension?
When most airlines in the world straightly announce all members getting one year membership extension or more, CX is probably the only one making 3 different policies for this.
During these policies, there was an issue happening to me.

But I get your point. Here is CX forum and most people are their supporters. Trust me, I was with you guys.
Frankly, this membership extension thing doesnt cause any physical damage but it hit the emotional part in a negative way. Betrayed mabybe?
When people make decision, emotion or personal preference can play an important rule.
As long as I like this airline and will keep flying with them, it doesnt matter they offer me cash refund, miles refund or whatever credits.

Oh, by the way, regarding to ticket refund, SQ is brilliant!
They offer extra credits when passengers choose not to get cash refund...
My original membership year ends on June 30,2020, I have over 1200 CP so I would have qualified for DM for another year regardless of automatic tier renewal they are offering. I tried asking for some flexibility regarding the membership holiday but was turned down. Personally I don't understand why they don't want to allow members to reactivate earlier than the originally agreed end-date. I mean, I would think CX would want us to travel as soon as possible, so while they are suggesting members take a membership holiday, it seems that they want you to hold to the committed date instead of allowing you to flier earlier. I tried to appeal all the way to the Club Manager pointing out it is more beneficial for CX if I were to be allowed to exit earlier because it means I can fly earlier I also pointed out that if I don't get my benefits or allowed to earn whatever CP then there's pretty much no reason why I would pick CX over other non-stop flights out of Manila.

I was told that I need to stick to the rules and they won't budge so in the end I decided to take a holiday up to December 31,2020 and will just cancel my flights Japan in August and November. The good thing is I was able to request an extension in May, which means I have 2 months left in my current membership year so I have until February 28,2021 as a buffer.
Old May 28, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
No, these are different things, though it just shows that the general policy at CX is far more customer friendly as their counterparts in the EU or the USA.

And yes, those (booking) offices are sometimes a crime to deal with. Quite some agents are outright incompetent and when not, want to stick to the rules, even when unfair. IE, just the easy way for themselves. MH is far worse to give you an idea.

However, what is important is, how those, who create the rules, are aware of how customers perceive their past decisions. And it has been shown in the past months, the rules continuously adapt to the "current" situation, and also correct on previous decisions working out badly for a (n even small) group of customers.

So, I think, for now, just pounce on the call centers when the rules do work unfair and you have real chances, your unfair situation will be corrected. The effective costs to correct all those little outlier situations are peanuts compared to the whole, but again, the booking can't go outside the set of rules setup for them.

Just post your complaints on FT and, when realistic, it is not out of the ordinary, CX will adapt. We have seen in the past, that issues raised at the FT/CX forum got corrected a little later in the official rules, so CX definitely does follow what is going on here at FT.
FlyPointyEnd and Mei1981 like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: UA/EK(Gold) CX(Diamond) Marriott Gold Accor Platinum Hilton Diamond Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by FlyPointyEnd
My original membership year ends on June 30,2020, I have over 1200 CP so I would have qualified for DM for another year regardless of automatic tier renewal they are offering. I tried asking for some flexibility regarding the membership holiday but was turned down. Personally I don't understand why they don't want to allow members to reactivate earlier than the originally agreed end-date. I mean, I would think CX would want us to travel as soon as possible, so while they are suggesting members take a membership holiday, it seems that they want you to hold to the committed date instead of allowing you to flier earlier. I tried to appeal all the way to the Club Manager pointing out it is more beneficial for CX if I were to be allowed to exit earlier because it means I can fly earlier I also pointed out that if I don't get my benefits or allowed to earn whatever CP then there's pretty much no reason why I would pick CX over other non-stop flights out of Manila.

I was told that I need to stick to the rules and they won't budge so in the end I decided to take a holiday up to December 31,2020 and will just cancel my flights Japan in August and November. The good thing is I was able to request an extension in May, which means I have 2 months left in my current membership year so I have until February 28,2021 as a buffer.
I agree with you on their inflexibility especially during this time. Also their FAQ answer is misleading, gives the impression that they would make an exception this time.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: CX,A3, TK, AZ,KQ
Hope this is the right place to raise my issue..
I'm a Silver member currently sitting on 550 Club Points with my status expiring at the end of August 2020 but I presume extended until August 2021?!? although my digital membership card still showing August 2020.
My problem is that I had a flight booked on the 27th of June (CX in J) that would have been pushed me to Gold but it has been cancelled.
Considering it would be difficult to achieve the 50 CP required for Gold status by August 2020 I was considering the possibility to apply for a membership holiday considering I won't travel much this year anyway.

My questions are (hope you guys can help on this) :
  1. When should I apply for the membership holiday ? July or August?
  2. How long I can maximum push my membership holiday?
  3. Would I keep my 550 Club points applying for the membership holiday or at August 2020 all my points will be reset?
Hope you guys can give me some good tips because it would be frustrating losing everything one step away from the upgrade to Gold.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by fedeflyer
Hope this is the right place to raise my issue..
I'm a Silver member currently sitting on 550 Club Points with my status expiring at the end of August 2020 but I presume extended until August 2021?!? although my digital membership card still showing August 2020.
My problem is that I had a flight booked on the 27th of June (CX in J) that would have been pushed me to Gold but it has been cancelled.
Considering it would be difficult to achieve the 50 CP required for Gold status by August 2020 I was considering the possibility to apply for a membership holiday considering I won't travel much this year anyway.

My questions are (hope you guys can help on this) :
  1. When should I apply for the membership holiday ? July or August?
  2. How long I can maximum push my membership holiday?
  3. Would I keep my 550 Club points applying for the membership holiday or at August 2020 all my points will be reset?
Hope you guys can give me some good tips because it would be frustrating losing everything one step away from the upgrade to Gold.

Thanks!
According to https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-terms.html,
1. You cannot apply membership holiday on the last month of your membership year, and you have to apply at least 7 days before it starts, so you have to apply by 24JUL I believe.
2. 1~12 months, but once set, cannot be changed (so you need to know when you will travel, but who knows?).
3. You will keep the 550 club points but you will still only have 1~2 months left after your holiday to earn the 50 points you need.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:37 am

Programs: CX,A3, TK, AZ,KQ
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
According to https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-terms.html,
1. You cannot apply membership holiday on the last month of your membership year, and you have to apply at least 7 days before it starts, so you have to apply by 24JUL I believe.
2. 1~12 months, but once set, cannot be changed (so you need to know when you will travel, but who knows?).
3. You will keep the 550 club points but you will still only have 1~2 months left after your holiday to earn the 50 points you need.
Thanks for the info! I believe next year should be easier to travel to gain the 50 CP left... (finger crossed)
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 6:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
It may be worth asking them if they will bump you up a tier anyway.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: CX GO
I wanted to seek some views if I should take a membership holiday or not; and if start - when to and when to end.

- Current membership period ends December 2020
- I am currently on 820 club points - so "just" 380 miles short of returning to Diamond
- I took my last flight at end of May to return to Hong Kong
- I don't see a lot or if at all any flying for at least the next quarter

Last edited by cxauhk; Jun 16, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.