Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
Continuation of this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1581009-how-exactly-does-cx-waitlist-work-awards.html
Print Wikipost

Will my award waitlist clear? Master thread 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:07 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
new year fare YAY! (I can’t think of another reason why only First class is sold out)
Some pax can't book it cos they're getting their birthday changed...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:30 pm

4 days left for waitlisted

Hi guys! I have a confirmed booking for my flight on
feb 20 cx 934 mla-hkg and returning on
feb 23 cx 913 hkg-mla

but it I wanted to use my miles for my wife but she is currently on waitlisted under economy X, just last minute decision to book her. How long should I wait? I tried to check on the seat availability using my confirmed booking and it seems that there are a lot of seats available.

Do You think there won’t be any chances anymore since it’s already 4 days left? My only option is to book for a flight using other airlines. Hope you could help me out so that I’ll know my options thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Eric Ryan Tang
feb 23 cx 913 hkg-mla

but it I wanted to use my miles for my wife but she is currently on waitlisted under economy X, just last minute decision to book her. How long should I wait? I tried to check on the seat availability using my confirmed booking and it seems that there are a lot of seats available.

Do You think there won’t be any chances anymore since it’s already 4 days left? My only option is to book for a flight using other airlines. Hope you could help me out so that I’ll know my options thanks!
934 Y5 so no
kaka likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
934 Y5 so no
What do you mean by y5? How about if premium economy? Or if cx 902 which is 1hour earlier flight.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:35 am

Only 5 full fare Economy seats for sale

You're waitlisting for X fare right? That is redemption Economy, ranks behind all other revenue Economy in availablity.

Updated:
Y7
W2 (W is full fare Premium Economy, again ranks behind all other revenue Premium Economy in availability)

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 16, 2019 at 2:47 am
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Ryan Tang
feb 23 cx 913 hkg-mla

is your flight ticket flexible? consider changing flights or flying seperately.

done that a few times- but instead of paying 13000hkd for a return ticket in J to tyo over LNY mine cost me approx a discount Y that is inflexible and i can still change my flights in J class. so beggars cant be choosers, i guess
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by kaka
so beggars cant be choosers, i guess
You're on the right drift, the very flexible traveller is still OK post-22/6.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:26 pm

I am planning for travel during Chinese New Year 2020, and have the following bookings (both made online on 09.Feb):
  • 25.Jan HKG-CDG in First and 28.Jan CDG-HKG in First. Both sectors waitlisted. Deadline to issue ticket is 26.Dec.2019
  • 25.Jan HKG-CDG in Business and 28.Jan CDG-HKG in Business. Outbound waitlisted, but inbound confirmed. Deadline to issue ticket is 23.Feb.2019.
What I do not understand is why the drastically different ticketing deadline? Both bookings are round trip, so shouldn't I be afforded a more reasonable ticketing deadline to give a chance for the booking to be entirely confirmed? Does CX expect me to issue the Business Class booking as a one-way ticket, and then hope that an outbound flight opens up some time later?

And, wouldn't I be at a disadvantage if the deadline passes, and then I have to make another booking, but just in between this time a seat becomes available and that seat would then go to the next person on the waiting list? We are talking about flights 11 months down the road, so why would CX be pushing the ticketing deadline so early?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: SQ, QR, CX, AA, UA
Originally Posted by percysmith
Although you're waitlisting for J, it's the Y and W loads you should be worried about.
How about the chances of either of these two waitlists clearing?

24 Feb:
J8 C7 D5 I5 W1 R0 E0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M6 L1 V0 S0 N0 Q0

23 Feb:
J1 C0 D0 I0 W3 R2 E2 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S6 N1 Q0 O0

Edit: waitlisted for J

Last edited by HariOm; Feb 19, 2019 at 5:14 am Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I am planning for travel during Chinese New Year 2020, and have the following bookings (both made online on 09.Feb):
  • 25.Jan HKG-CDG in First and 28.Jan CDG-HKG in First. Both sectors waitlisted. Deadline to issue ticket is 26.Dec.2019
  • 25.Jan HKG-CDG in Business and 28.Jan CDG-HKG in Business. Outbound waitlisted, but inbound confirmed. Deadline to issue ticket is 23.Feb.2019.
What I do not understand is why the drastically different ticketing deadline?
Cos you have one sector clear on a Standard redemption https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post30673778

Both bookings are round trip, so shouldn't I be afforded a more reasonable ticketing deadline to give a chance for the booking to be entirely confirmed? Does CX expect me to issue the Business Class booking as a one-way ticket, and then hope that an outbound flight opens up some time later?
Yes
Issue it or lose it
And if you issue it, it may be potential cancellation fee revenue for CX even if they don't clear your inbound, so why not?

And, wouldn't I be at a disadvantage if the deadline passes, and then I have to make another booking, but just in between this time a seat becomes available and that seat would then go to the next person on the waiting list? We are talking about flights 11 months down the road, so why would CX be pushing the ticketing deadline so early?
Besides your money, they also want you to be OCD.
By encouraging OCD they are "trying" for you to buy a full fat revenue ticket off them
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: asia miles
can anybody tell me likelihood of these clearing? Silver MPC member

Sat, 11 May 2019 CX301 HKG - DUB Business Class U

Fri, 09 Aug 2019 CX113 Hong Kong to Auckland
Sun, 18 Aug 2019 CX198 Auckland to Hong Kong
Both business class
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by calcio1
Fri, 09 Aug 2019 CX113 Hong Kong to Auckland
Sun, 18 Aug 2019 CX198 Auckland to Hong Kong
Both business class
This is the southern hemisphere equivalent of a February CTS ticket for skiers...
Also school holidays (and AKL is treated as a resort destination like CTS/DPS/DAD)

Even if I9 and not a single seat occupied on the seat map, Patricia will still not release.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 19, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: MPC CXGO, IHG RA
Originally Posted by rays
Can someone please help check the loading for CX883 LAX - HKG on 19th February.

Currently waitlisting a F award, the agent said can only wait list till the 15th at 6pm Hong Kong time, do they usually release the seat before that?
Update: Successfully got the last F seat at the airport.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: asia miles
cheers, had no idea

any thoughts on HKG-DUB??
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:23 am

I've waitlisted a few different days for business class flights one way from Perth to Toronto
CX 170
CX 826 or CX 828
for May 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st.
Do these seem likely to clear? I've read through most of this thread and don't understand a lot of terms and it seems like there isn't much of a pattern?
We are quite flexible, hence why I waitlisted multiple dates but I kind of want to know somewhat in advance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.