Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy - bit of a let down

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I've been in LH PEY often enough that I would pick it over Y any day. However never been in a SH PEY.

About to book a PEY return ticket SYD-TOKYO, on the return leg, 17th June, the only available flight for me with PEY is CX509 ex NRT at 9:15 (unable to take 4pm one as being too late), would you guys choose it over sitting in Y CX543 ex HND at 10:35? Is it really only the seat difference, not the service (food and pre flight drink)?

It will be the same price and same status credit (E vs H). HND obviously closer and brings me extra 2 hours of sleep in my bed.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 7:33 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Even for long-haul I find CX's PEY quite underwhelming when compared with BR or NZ (esp. the soft product). And so I find it hard to justify the price premium over economy if I can secure extra leg-room seat in Y.

I can sleep rather well in Y even in ordinary Y seat so perhaps that's the indifference.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by sxc
@andersoncooper this is because your sector is a long haul sector.
My bad. For some reason I read it as CDG - HKG lol.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
What people expect: PREMIUM economy

What it really is: premium ECONOMY
osotoc and HaikalS like this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 11:37 pm

yea, PE is very weak
took one in early July, HKG-YVR
There was problems with my wife's seat, can't recline properly and the IFE has very slow response time
My usb charger wasn't working, but it is a small issue

The good thing is the seat pitch is not bad and i don't feel squished compared to economy
Overall, value is very low
royng likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Having never flown PEY, I was curious to see what it would be like when I flew the same route as OP.

I have nothing to add other than that I was astounded to see how decidedly "un-premium" Premium Economy was.

Crew were great though, and for some reason chose to greet me personally after settling in (even though I was still a lowly Silver ), much to the confusion of my seat mate .
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
If short haul PEY comes with better catering, PDB and closed curtain, isnt this exactly what regional business offers?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Long Haul
Curtains closed
First meal is J class meal
Bottles of water distributed
Unless it's recently been walked back, I thought both long-haul PEY meals now feature J class entrees (e.g. dim sum instead of congee for breakfast on AM arrivals).
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:20 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shd9
If short haul PEY comes with better catering, PDB and closed curtain, isnt this exactly what regional business offers?
albeit supposedly with less mileage earnings and with an ever so slightly narrower seat that may as well be more comfortable
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by triplefives
Looking at some random dates in July on HKG/CGK - it goes down to as cheap at 2k on Y, but PE is 8k, and J is 16k (all before the misc fees). And this is with PE actually being available on the aircraft.
CX has always been gouging people on this route for as long as I can remember. For less than CX PE, OP could fly non-stop with CI J (fifth freedom) or GA J (used to be wide-body but heard from relatives it is currently narrow-body). If OP is not in hurry and wants to keep it in the OW family, MH J is also cheaper CX PE. And their J (GA and MH - never tried CI before) are better than CX PE ...

Last edited by Rivarix; Jul 10, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Long Haul
Curtains closed
First meal is J class meal
Bottles of water distributed
You could have fooled me the first meal is a J class meal

As for the curtains closed, it seems a bit pointless I find. Still need to go back to Y to use the lav on the 77G and on the 77H you have the Y people coming up to use the PE lav.

I look at it purely from a real estate perspective. I do get more width (albeit not much), legroom, and recline. Is it really double what Y offers? Not really but it also lets me not have to hope across 2 people when I'm at the window seat.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I have nothing to add other than that I was astounded to see how decidedly "un-premium" Premium Economy was.

Crew were great though, and for some reason chose to greet me personally after settling in (even though I was still a lowly Silver ), much to the confusion of my seat mate .
My sentiments exactly. It was nothing special or premium, but better that Y for sure. However, when I asked for a liquor that was from J (forgot it was until the FA feigned she didn't know if that was onboard), the lead flight team manager happened upon the scene. She offered to get me a glass from J and delivered it with a bottle of water too. She thanked me for being a loyal OWE and was about to walk away when my seat mate puts his hands out to take the other bottle water she had in her hands. Talk about awkward.... She gave him the water and walked away.. At first I thought he would be OWE as well, but that wasn't the case.

My only complaint though was the cabin was warm and I'm guessing it had to be near 78 F. I could believe how many people were bundled with blankets. At one point the temp had to go below 70 as that's when I was contemplating using the blanket and pillow. But surely enough, it felt as though they turn the air off or just put the heat on. Sucks that there were no personal air vents too. Bad enough there is no WiFi either. I don't know if I'll take CX PE again.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
PE is basically economy class for tall people.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Flew CGK-HKG and HKG-LAX in PE earlier this year. Intended to fly both sectors in Y, but as there was no award space in Y, I booked PE at a 17% premium over Y. I was seated at the bulkhead window seat on both legs which felt nice and roomy (my legs fully stretched out didn't touch the wall). The CGK-HKG leg was less than half full in PE and I didn't have a seatmate. Oddly enough, at 164cm, I found the leg rest to fit me perfectly and comfortably. Service was mediocre.

My experience would probably not have been this enjoyable had I not been seated in the bulkhead.

After the densification of 77W in Y, I would gladly pay 40% premium in PE for 8 abreast seating, but 2x the price of Y is too much.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: pleb
Originally Posted by davistev
PE is basically economy class for tall people.
So true

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.