Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

In Town Check In For US Flights suspended from 26 Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Town Check In For US Flights suspended from 26 Oct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by nightkhan
No, this affects all US bound flights internationally:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/us-...curity-oct-26/
That article says nothing about other airlines ending in-town checkin.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: pleb
Ah, thought you were asking about the new screenings in general. Haven't read anything from other airlines yet.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I don't understand the difference between in-town and airport check in. They'd know the lines in Aisle B will be long as hell. Wouldn't it be better to re-direct the traffic to HK & Kowloon check in area?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by adamak
I don't understand the difference between in-town and airport check in. They'd know the lines in Aisle B will be long as hell. Wouldn't it be better to re-direct the traffic to HK & Kowloon check in area?
as if they care. They will just tell you to go to the airport 3 hrs earlier
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Speculating they trained a small number of staff to do these interviews and would make sense to place them at HKIA than In-Town check-in (ITC) as US-bound passengers may show up more unpredictably at ITC (over the course of the day) than at HKIA.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I already had a flight to the US under the 'new procedures'. Actually, if you speak Cantonese, the questioning process is borderline comical. No need to worry/sweat/feel anything about it.
Comical? I would rather say it is a joke.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
UA (SFO, ORD, EWR, GUM, SPN)
UA does not fly HKG-SPN, but HKG-GUM-SPN.

SQ2 will offer the definitive proof for now. Non-US airline, flying nonstop HKG-USA. If they're still allowing in-town check in, definitely a CX specific issue.
It is definitely a CX issue, as UA has not suspended ITCI.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
good anecdote.

i can't imagine it's a CX only thing?! I do know the US treats US airlines differently. I guess proof would be in pudding when HX launches to LAX and SFO and see what they do.
QUOTE (bolding mine):

"The announcement from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration comes after five global long-haul airlines — Air France, Cathay Pacific, EgyptAir, Emirates and Lufthansa — said they would begin the new security interviews starting Thursday. A sixth carrier, Royal Jordanian, said it would begin the new procedures in mid-January after U.S. authorities granted RJ’s request for a delay in implementing the measures."
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Are F pax and DMs still able to use the first class check in area or is everyone now forced to use the "dedicated counters" at HKG?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:53 pm

If I can't use OLCI to US flights bound in the future, would that affect my chances of op-up?
- another sad American passport holder
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by Cushner
If I can't use OLCI to US flights bound in the future, would that affect my chances of op-up?
- another sad American passport holder
No word on if OLCI is affected. But if checking bags in, yes, affected. This is all theater 🎭 nonsense. I could speak my mind, but that would be non PC as to what actions too improve ‘security’ should actually be.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
FWIW, SQ has started a similar "regime" too, though SIN does not have an in-town check-in equivalent, and they haven't explicitly called out HKG's in-town check-in for SQ2 to SFO.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prw555
No word on if OLCI is affected. But if checking bags in, yes, affected. This is all theater 🎭 nonsense. I could speak my mind, but that would be non PC as to what actions too improve ‘security’ should actually be.
The travel alert on CX.com explicitly says that pax may still do OLCI. Also, based on the wording of the statement, pax without checked bags might still be able use their "regular" counters, including the F counters, and be subject to the "interview" at the gate, but I'll let others with first-hand experience chime in. I'm flying HKG-US in F in a few weeks without checked bags and will report back if we haven't heard anything by then.

New security requirements for passengers travelling to the U.S.
Latest update: 23 Oct 2017 20:30 HKT (GMT+8)

To meet the enhanced US Security Measures effective 26 October 2017, Cathay Pacific will suspend In Town Check-in and Self-Bag Drop services for passengers booked on flights to the United States, with the exception of those travelling on Flight CX888 to New York/JFK via Vancouver.

While passengers may still check in online, they are asked to check in their baggage at the dedicated counters on Aisle B at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA), where they will be subject to a short security interview. Passengers without check-in baggage should proceed to the boarding gate directly as early as possible, where they will be also be subject to a short security interview.

We therefore advise all passengers travelling to the U.S. to arrive at the airport three hours prior to departure to ensure they can proceed through all airport checkpoints in good time.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Between this and the new hold fees, I don't know how many more enhancements to the flying experience I can handle.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:04 am

Did anyone see the cartoon on SCMP yesterday (related to CX and ITCI)? I had a good chuckle.

Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Since cx888 isnt affect by this in hkg -does anything happen in yvr?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.