Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

In Town Check In For US Flights suspended from 26 Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Town Check In For US Flights suspended from 26 Oct

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:32 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by percysmith
(Asked for @Majuki , a little OT but) I called American Airlines HK this morning 3057 9197, specifically using the Canto line to try to get a local agent.

American Airlines HK says they aren't suspending In Town Check In yet, but Airport Authority will grill US-bound pax more
good anecdote.

i can't imagine it's a CX only thing?! I do know the US treats US airlines differently. I guess proof would be in pudding when HX launches to LAX and SFO and see what they do.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by QRC3288
good anecdote.

i can't imagine it's a CX only thing?! I do know the US treats US airlines differently. I guess proof would be in pudding when HX launches to LAX and SFO and see what they do.
Well SQ might announce changes soon if it affects all airlines since they do fly SQ2 from HKG.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
good anecdote.

What is interesting is that the questions from Europe to the US are only asked if you are flying a US carrier, not a non-US one. For instance, LHR-LAX on AA gets the questions but LHR-LAX on BA is no questions asked. Furthermore, the questions can be asked at a variety of places such as at check-in, at the gate, or even at the Admirals Club in the case of AA.

I don't know why this prevents ITCI considering people not asked the questions at check-in would be asked at the gate? I'm assuming they do not repeat the questioning at the gate for those who had already been asked at check-in. It sounds like toplayer was questioned a second time at the gate, but the data point might not be representative because of the SSSS.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
What is interesting is that the questions from Europe to the US are only asked if you are flying a US carrier, not a non-US one. For instance, LHR-LAX on AA gets the questions but LHR-LAX on BA is no questions asked. Furthermore, the questions can be asked at a variety of places such as at check-in, at the gate, or even at the Admirals Club in the case of AA.

I don't know why this prevents ITCI considering people not asked the questions at check-in would be asked at the gate? I'm assuming they do not repeat the questioning at the gate for those who had already been asked at check-in. It sounds like toplayer was questioned a second time at the gate, but the data point might not be representative because of the SSSS.
you gotta love the consistency with US security regulations

the total mish-mash and contradictons make everyone think it's a joke.

The ME airline thing (which they attempted to force on Asian airlines, CX included, but failed) was absurd, forcing all the laptops / iPads / lithium ion batteries in the luggage. And then, lol 2-3 months later FAA implements complete reversal, now saying no laptops in luggage whatsoever because it's a massive hazard. Lol. So I guess....thanks for putting us all at a huge risk for those 2-3 months???

If/when the US has a sensible policy, nobody will believe it either because of all this comedy. It's just a bad showing all around and overall security is worse-off for it.

Hopefully CX will get in-town checkin back. I fly to the US so damn often and it'd be lovely for the US not to be in some fourth-world category of countries that cannot use it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:20 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Hopefully CX will get in-town checkin back. I fly to the US so damn often and it'd be lovely for the US not to be in some fourth-world category of countries that cannot use it.
I thought it was airlines not countries.

e.g. Jetstar Asia can ITCI but Jetstar Japan cannot http://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/itci.pdf
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:22 pm

I thought it was airlines not countries.

e.g. Jetstar Asia can ITCI but Jetstar Japan cannot http://www.mtr.com.hk/archive/en/services/itci.pdf
Ah, this is true but I'm almost certain that's because Jetstar Japan isn't paying for it. I know it's an extra service you pay for and you're not required to to serve HKIA. If this is indeed the case (I don't know Jetstar Japan's specific issue, but I do know airlines must pay more to offer in-town check-in), then definitely CX is in a different camp.

Jetstar Japan shares the same name as the rest of the Jetstars, but ownership and economics are different for each.

For example, I'm pretty sure another LLC Spring Airlines doesn't offer ITCI either for this reason.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:25 pm

Yes
But my question is are there any other country-specific exclusions other than CX on US?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:32 pm

Yes
But my question is are there any other country-specific exclusions other than CX on US?
The only other non-US airline flying the routes are SQ. SQ2 does HKG-SFO daily nonstop. Anyone know the answer?

HX will launch LAX in December and SFO in March.

Current airlines flying nonstop HKG to US and US territories:
CX (LAX, SFO, ORD, BOS, JFK, EWR)
UA (SFO, ORD, EWR, GUM, SPN)
AA (LAX, DFW)
DL (SEA)
SQ (SFO)
HX (LAX, SFO)*Launches Dec and March, respectively.

SQ2 will offer the definitive proof for now. Non-US airline, flying nonstop HKG-USA. If they're still allowing in-town check in, definitely a CX specific issue.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:47 pm

I mean no country-specific prohibitions for ITCI other than US right?

SQ 2520 2233 says no news on their end.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Well it just makes me not want to visit the US. And I am sure there are many people who will come to a similar conclusion.

Shame to see the US starting to lose the plot.
I would prefer the US to remain the major superpower and hegemon - after all we did well under a Pax Americana, but it gets sadder to see the US starting to lose the plot.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
This is interesting - I just got back from HKG to the U.S.. I was trying to check in from Kowloon Station, and was told I was "SSSS" and thus needed to check in at the airport. Going forward it would be awful to take my luggage to HKIA every time...

Last edited by andersonCooper; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:47 am
Old Oct 24, 2017, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by toplayer
Its a complete joke. Round 1: Aisle B (diagonally opposite F check in desks). Why are you going to the US. How many phones do you have. Why do you have 2 phones. Why do you have a phone for work. Why do you have a laptop. Did you pack your luggage. When did you pack it. You get the feeling that the people questioning you have never been on a plane before.

Round 2: Gate entrance (same questions but shorter due to the number of people waiting)

Round 3: Jet bridge (unfortunately got SSSS'd). More of the same questions plus shoe check.

On the plus side on arrival into SFO not a peep re SSSS, very smooth.

[MODs please redact if this is too specific re security].
That's better than the AA questions I got from LHR - JFK

Round 1: What's your job title in the U.S.? What's your employer's name?

Round 2: Did you pack your luggage yourself?

Round 3: Which part of your trip did you enjoy the most?

I just got SSSS this time from HKG, but CX did not ask any additional questions but instead apologized for the inconvenience. SSSS in HKG is WAY better experience than in JFK, where TSA had no idea about procedures and staff blamed each other, creating an artificial long line (not to mention I was not SSSS in JFK but just lined behind a SSSS pax, and still suffered).

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I already had a flight to the US under the 'new procedures'. Actually, if you speak Cantonese, the questioning process is borderline comical. No need to worry/sweat/feel anything about it.
Care to share the comedy?

Last edited by andersonCooper; Oct 24, 2017 at 2:51 am
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: CX Gold
What is SSSS?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It is a symbol on your boarding pass / record which indicates that the US authorities have selected you for extra security screening.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by boybi
What is SSSS?
Secondary Security Screening Selection. It's believed that it's up to the US gov to pick, but airlines also have the authority to select pax as well, depending on their answers to the questions. If you are selected to SSSS, you can't check in online (in CX's case, no ITCI).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.