Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

In Town Check In For US Flights suspended from 26 Oct

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite

A twist to this if flying to the US. As of 10/26 in town check in will be closed for flights heading to the US, with the exception of the YVR-JFK flight. They are imposing "security" questioning at check in, probably rather like when leaving UK for US.

Wonder if this will impact OLCI for said routes - probably my guess.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:52 pm

Ugh it's terrible how hyper sensitive Americans have gotten about their flying. Is there a source for this or hearsay?
lhrpete likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 4:59 pm

Americans have become sensitive to everything.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Awful. But​​ not surprised. Just sad to see what's happening to the US over time.

I suspect it is true. Colleague said he had a hell of a time at HKIA with some new procedures for his US-bound flight last week.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Most likely to "look tough" on immigration and national security. I wonder what happens to passengers connecting to the US? (ex. TPE-HKG-SFO) Will they eventually be required to have to go through additional security questioning at the transit area? Also, I wonder if CX is the only one suspending ITCI for flights to the US?

This just adds time to an already long journey, and arriving at the airport early (even with lounge access) is something I don't particularly enjoy on my most traveled routes
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:33 pm

What I hate the most is the secondary screening where they search liquids and all.
jerrywu likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I already had a flight to the US under the 'new procedures'. Actually, if you speak Cantonese, the questioning process is borderline comical. No need to worry/sweat/feel anything about it.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:10 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ements-us.html
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I already had a flight to the US under the 'new procedures'. Actually, if you speak Cantonese, the questioning process is borderline comical. No need to worry/sweat/feel anything about it.
that's the whole thing.

Just like the secondary screening is nonsensical (they miss your water half the time anyway), this is just more nonsense. I hold an American passport, and it's just embarrassing. Everyone knows it's just theater. Reminds me of a banana republic. Sad to see.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
that's the whole thing.

Just like the secondary screening is nonsensical (they miss your water half the time anyway), this is just more nonsense. I hold an American passport, and it's just embarrassing. Everyone knows it's just theater. Reminds me of a banana republic. Sad to see.
Most banana republics I know are more reasonable and logical.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by QRC3288
that's the whole thing.

Exactly, as a US passport holder I find it inconvenient to have to do this extra screening each time. I wish they would at least allow ITCI and then just do the additional security questions there (or incorporate this with secondary screening). Lugging bags on the airport express is not one of my preferred activities.

Next security update will require you to sing the Star Spangled Banner while eating a burger.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Its a complete joke. Round 1: Aisle B (diagonally opposite F check in desks). Why are you going to the US. How many phones do you have. Why do you have 2 phones. Why do you have a phone for work. Why do you have a laptop. Did you pack your luggage. When did you pack it. You get the feeling that the people questioning you have never been on a plane before.

Round 2: Gate entrance (same questions but shorter due to the number of people waiting)

Round 3: Jet bridge (unfortunately got SSSS'd). More of the same questions plus shoe check.

On the plus side on arrival into SFO not a peep re SSSS, very smooth.

[MODs please redact if this is too specific re security].
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Next security update will require you to sing the Star Spangled Banner while eating a burger.
don't forget the Freedom Fries with that
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by toplayer
Its a complete joke.

[MODs please redact if this is too specific re security].
I think you answered it yourself with your opening line...

Let's not even pretend for a moment this is anything remotely related to actually making us more secure.

Anyone remember how the US originally forced a bunch of ME airlines to jam everyone's laptops in the cargo hold? And then just a week or two ago, the FAA announces that even a single laptop in the luggage compartment can create a catastrophic cargo fire and to propose a total ban on laptops in luggage? A lot of ham-fisted US security measures actually make us all less safe, not more. It's really sad. I'd chalk up these new CX / HKIA measures at best in the "let's waste money and time" for security theater. At worst, there could always be unintended consequences that make us less safe. Already, the fact the US has these stupid "yelling fire" security measures all the time immunizes people to genuine risks. "Security threat" is a magic word in the US. Everyone flying to/from/within the US is so immunized to the risk / security theater and tolerates it that I'm sure there are real risks that aren't getting proper resources. Tragic.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 23, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:23 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(Asked for @Majuki , a little OT but) I called American Airlines HK this morning 3057 9197, specifically using the Canto line to try to get a local agent.

American Airlines HK says they aren't suspending In Town Check In yet, but Airport Authority will grill US-bound pax more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.