Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: littlevoices
All signed in members are invited to contribute to this wikipost, and may minimize or maximize wikis by using the +/- functions in the upper right hand corner.

Lounge Admittance Policy and Guest Admittance Policy
Please see this link for details of lounge admittance for:
  • Marco Polo Members
  • Oneworld status holders
  • Business and First Class Passengers
  • People not flying Cathay Pacific or Dragonair
  • Guests

The following FAQs are addressed below:
  • What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
    • Which departures lounge should I use?
      • I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?
        • I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
          • Can I visit multiple lounges?
            • Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
              • Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
                • What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
                  • Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges
                    • Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

What lounges does Cathay Pacific operate at HKIA (aka “what are my choices”)?
Cathay Pacific (together with subsidiary Dragonair) operate the following lounges at Hong Kong:

Departure lounges:
  • The Wing - First Class
  • The Wing - Business Class
  • The Pier - First Class
  • The Pier - Business Class
  • The Cabin - Business Class - Closed as of 1 May 2018
  • The Bridge - Business Class
  • The Deck - Business Class

All departure lounges are airside and are only accessible by passengers who have an onward boarding pass and who have cleared security and passport control.

Which departures lounge should I use?
Depending on your access entitlement, you can use any lounge in the terminal. You should check how long it takes to get to your departure gate from the lounge you choose

Food
  • The Wing - F Class, there is a buffet restaurant, and an a-la-carte menu, and a Champagne bar.
  • The Wing - J Class, there is a new Coffee Loft concept offering freshly brewed coffee and freshly baked pastries. Compared to The Pier, there is also a wider selection of savoury foods.
  • The Pier - F Class has an a la carte restaurant, and no buffet. It is the newest of the lounges, and the most up to date in Cathay's service offering.
  • The Cabin has The Deli and the Health Bar which offer made-to-order hot sandwiches and antipasti, and fresh juices. There is also a small western and Asian food buffet. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Cabin. The Cabin is permanently closed.
  • The Bridge features The Bakery, which offers freshly baked bread and pizzas, as well as sandwiches, pastries, Asian and Western soups, and fresh salads. There is no separate F class dining or seating at The Bridge.
    F Class Lounge Menus: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nge-menus.html

For details of what facilities are offered in each lounge, please refer to the links on the Cathay Pacific/Dragonair websites:

Cathay Pacific Hong Kong Airport Lounges

AusBT reviews of new CX lounges:
The Wing Business Class Review
The Wing First Class Review
The Bridge
The Pier First Class
The New Pier Business Class lounge

Discussion on CX Lounges World Wide:
New - The Bridge
The Wing - The Best Oneworld Business Lounge in the network?
Review of new F wing
Cathay Pacific – Chicago (ORD) Lounge
New CX lounge in SFO???
The New Pier First and Business Class lounges
The New Pier Business Class Lounge
London Heathrow lounge experience
The Deck

I am not a Marco Polo Club member. I am not travelling on a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight. Can I use one of the lounges?

Please see the above section which include details on Admittance policies.

The following can access Cathay Pacific lounges to the extent as detailed in the above admittance policy:
  • First and Business Class passengers flying oneworld marketed and operated flights, class of lounge depending on class of travel
  • Oneworld Sapphire members (including Marco Polo Gold members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, J lounges
  • Oneworld Emerald members (including Marco Polo Diamond members) departing on a oneworld marketed and operated flight, F or J lounges
  • Marco Polo Silver members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed and operated flight, J lounges (any lounge provided by CX to J passengers except for JFK, where SL members are directed to the Admiral's Club when it is open)
  • Marco Polo Silver, Gold, and Diamond members departing on a Cathay Pacific or Cathay Dragon marketed flight operated by another carrier, class of lounge depending on status, for Cathay Pacific-owned lounges only, if physically accessible and open.

If you do not fall into any of these categories you are out of luck (or you can be guested in).

I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?
Yes. You will be issued with two lounge invitations when you check in for your flight, one for use at your outport and one for use in Hong Kong. Your Hong Kong lounge invitation will clearly display an invitation to "The Wing/Pier/Cabin/G16 Lounge - FIRST CLASS".
There is some discussion at this thread regarding long transits between a First Class and Business Class flights and lounge entitlement: F lounge use when departing J after long next day transit

Can I visit multiple lounges?
Yes. Although the lounge invitation is collected upon entry, a lounge invitation is not required to enter a lounge. Your boarding pass showing cabin and status, and your frequent flyer card if you are relying on oneworld access privileges, is sufficient. The first time you use a boarding pass to enter, the gate staff will need to scan it to check entry eligibility. A re-entry stamp will then be stamped on your boarding pass, this is so that subsequent entries using that boarding pass will not need it scanned.

Do operational-upgrades (op-ups) come with upgraded lounge benefits?
No. This is because an operational upgrade relates solely to needing to re-seat a passenger on board. There is no operational reason to provide other benefits associated with the upgraded travel class such as lounge entry, priority baggage, or bonus miles.

For example, unless he has status etc. allowing first class lounge entry, a business class traveller upgraded to first class for operational reasons will receive a first class boarding pass paired with a business class lounge invitation. Attempts to use the first class boarding pass to enter a first class lounge will be denied when the lounge agent scans his boarding pass. Similarly, an economy or premium economy class passenger op-up'ed to business class does not receive lounge benefits.

Do mile-upgraded (award) tickets come with lounge benefits?
Yes, award tickets have the same lounge benefits as a regular ticket.

What if I want to meet up with fellow FlyerTalkers in CX lounges?
You could try having a look at this thread: Lounge Meetup Master Thread

Transiting through HKG and getting to the lounges

To provide an idea of where the lounges are located throughout the airport:
  • The Wing is near gates 1-4, G16 is near Gates 15-19. Both of these are on the far east side of the concourse - the Wing is southeast, and G16 is northeast.
  • The Cabin is near gate 21, centrally located also on the eastern side of the concourse.
  • The Bridge is centrally located on the west side of the concourse, within a five minute walk from all gates 30-71. This is probably the most strategically located of all the lounges given the volume of gates it is close to.
  • The Pier is on the northwest side of the concourse, nestled among the 60s gates.
  • *As of now, there is no lounge on the southwest side of the concourse (gates 40), but the Bridge is no more than a 5 minute walk from all of the 40s gates.

When transiting, you can use any transit point as they all lead to the same departures area of the airport. You can utilize any transit checkpoint to successfully reach your departure gate without much difference in walking time Therefore, if you see a transit point with no queue, just use it - you don't need to go to a transit point near your next departing gate. From experience, E1/E2 transit points are the points with the most congestion, but maximum time waiting through these points is about 15 minutes.

Is it possible to visit airside lounges during a transit and then exit the airport?

**Updated, this no longer seems possible, per this thread: Stuck in HKG without being able to Exit , previously there was some view that it may be possible, but this appears to be moot: Using HKG departure-side lounges before clearing immigration
Print Wikipost

Lounge Access and other Lounge FAQs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by boybi
Is there an arrival lounge in FCO? I might need a quick shower upon my early arrival as I still cannot checkin to my hotel.
No
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by hondaman82
Hi,
F pax can bring 1 guest, can J pax bring any guest to Pier J? thanks!
No
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by seeking_altitude
Any thoughts of SFO Cathay lounge vs Centurion lounge? I enjoy the drinks at Centurion lounge and find the other SFO lounges to be mediocre, at best. Should we even bother with the Cathay lounge? Flying F out of SFO and don't plan on stuffing myself before departing (ie, noodle bar isn't a top priority).
IIRC, the A concourse is not connected to the other ones. You may have to enter G concourse (I think you can get in with an A BP, but not sure), exit back and reenter A. IMHO, it doesn't worth it. There are enough decent drinks and food in the CX SFO lounge.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: QR Platinum / SQ Gold
Flying BKK-HKG with CX in Eco and HKG-CNX with Dragon Air in Eco. Me: QR Platinum (Emerald) my colleague no status. Questions:
1. Can we both access CX lounge in BKK with my Emerald status (me + guest)?
2. Access to CX arrival lounge in HKG (as Emerald member + guest)?
3. for the flight from HKG-CNX with Dragon Air do I have access with Emerald status to First class lounge (+guest)?
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Flying BKK-HKG with CX in Eco and HKG-CNX with Dragon Air in Eco. Me: QR Platinum (Emerald) my colleague no status. Questions:
1. Can we both access CX lounge in BKK with my Emerald status (me + guest)?
2. Access to CX arrival lounge in HKG (as Emerald member + guest)?
3. for the flight from HKG-CNX with Dragon Air do I have access with Emerald status to First class lounge (+guest)?
How about reading the rules,which clearly answer your question?

1.Yes;
2.No guest access;
3.Yes.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:08 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Hello all! I have a quick question regarding lounge access:

- flying TPE-HKG-YVR on CX 565 then AC, same ticket & PNR
- OW Emerald via BA (gold)

Will I have access to the F lounges in HKG by nature of arriving BP on OW?

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:17 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
No. Arrivals (landside) or your AC/*A lounge entitlement only.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by BA Humbug
Hello all! I have a quick question regarding lounge access:

- flying TPE-HKG-YVR on CX 565 then AC, same ticket & PNR
- OW Emerald via BA (gold)

Will I have access to the F lounges in HKG by nature of arriving BP on OW?

Thanks!
Just to explain Percy's (accurate) thoughts above:

*OW rules only stipulate onward lounge access if you're departing on another OW flight. Since you're on AC, obviously this doesn't apply.
*Single PNR / ticket isn't relevant.
*As Percy mentions, your only lounge access at HKG is The Arrival, a landside, small, mediocre lounge. Your OWE status will give you access regardless of the class you're flying ex-TPE. I strongly very highly extremely [fill in another adjective] don't recommend going out of your way for this lounge.
*The CX lounge at TPE is fairly new and quite lovely, which you'll have access to. It's really better than a lot of other airline's F lounges.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:35 am

CX Lounges at JFK

All CX lounges are well equipped with food and beverages and very nice staff. The Lounge at JFK have a very poor selection of food, only have sandwiches that are mostly bread no filling and some chicken noodle soup during winter months. Beverage fridges specially beer are almost empty and if you will ask for a beer it' will take long time before the staff return with your bottle, same with champagne if you ask the answer is that they only serve champagne in the 1st clad Lounge. Should add that this is a BA Lounge and all BA business passenger are invited to the buffet in the 1st class Lounge before there flight. Also staff is very unfriendly and stay most of the time in groups chatting and don't like to be disturbed. Also furniture have very bad stain. The whole concept is not up to CX standards.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Welcome to the forum mate. The best lounges are generally considered to be Wing F, Pier F and Pier J. Pier J is stunning and huge...don't be dissuaded because it's a J class lounge. You should check it out. Same with Qantas: the Qantas lounge also receives high remarks from all of us. The main differentiator for the CX F lounges is the restaurant concept inside, as well as the "Cabanas" in Wing F and "Day Rooms" (not really) and brief massages available in Pier F. You can search for all these terms.

Overall, CX's lounges are superb. If you're going on a massive lounge crawl, the one you could miss IMO is Wing J, and perhaps The Cabin.

This topic is discussed endlessly in this forum, if you have time do a search for the following words, which are all the lounges:

*The Pier (has both F and J sides)
*The Bridge
*The Cabin
*The Wing (has both F and J sides)
*G16 (--currently closed for renovation)
*Qantas Lounge

Regarding shopping, HKIA probably has more than anywhere. Considerably more floorspace than HND. If you're in to high-end products well it's everywhere. For small nicknacks, candy, local food and what, there are some stores also selling that too...but 80-90% of floorspace are luxury brands.

There is shopping all over, but the nick nacks you're probably looking for are easiest found at the far east side (airside), which is the main entrance to the airport. Since you'll be transiting you might need to back track to get there. This east side complex is at the base of the Y between gates 1-19 (and near gates 21-25).

It's pretty hard to beat HKIA for most things. Good luck.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Hyatt-Glob, all else dirt level
Using Asia Miles to enter lounge

Apologies if this is somewhere in the thread but I can't find it.

Spouse and I have Biz class tickets and kids (teens) have PE tickets (BA awards). If I join Marco Polo club and Asia miles can I use Asia miles (transferred from Amex) as a lowly base (green) member of Marco Polo club or do you need to have some MPC status (silver, gold, diamond) to use Asia miles to enter?

I was waiting to see if last minute CX awards become available to upgrade but with the new premium award scheme I think it's becoming a longer shot so am looking for plan B.

TIA!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by woodburyhome
Apologies if this is somewhere in the thread but I can't find it.

Spouse and I have Biz class tickets and kids (teens) have PE tickets (BA awards). If I join Marco Polo club and Asia miles can I use Asia miles (transferred from Amex) as a lowly base (green) member of Marco Polo club or do you need to have some MPC status (silver, gold, diamond) to use Asia miles to enter?

I was waiting to see if last minute CX awards become available to upgrade but with the new premium award scheme I think it's becoming a longer shot so am looking for plan B.

TIA!
If you are flying Business class, you can enter CX lounge. If you are a Marco Polo Club member, you can redeem lounge passes with Asia Miles for your kids. However, that doesn't worth it IMHO.

You cannot upgrade an award ticket.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by OscarM
All CX lounges are well equipped with food and beverages and very nice staff. The Lounge at JFK have a very poor selection of food, only have sandwiches that are mostly bread no filling and some chicken noodle soup during winter months. Beverage fridges specially beer are almost empty and if you will ask for a beer it' will take long time before the staff return with your bottle, same with champagne if you ask the answer is that they only serve champagne in the 1st clad Lounge. Should add that this is a BA Lounge and all BA business passenger are invited to the buffet in the 1st class Lounge before there flight. Also staff is very unfriendly and stay most of the time in groups chatting and don't like to be disturbed. Also furniture have very bad stain. The whole concept is not up to CX standards.
When you said BA's 1st class lounge, did you mean the Concorde Room? Are BA J passengers allowed there? IIRC, only BA F passengers (not even CX F passengers or OWEs) are allowed.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
When you said BA's 1st class lounge, did you mean the Concorde Room? Are BA J passengers allowed there? IIRC, only BA F passengers (not even CX F passengers or OWEs) are allowed.
Yeah I remember only BA F passengers are allowed only.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin Velocity Gold
I am travelling from Melbourne to PVG via HKG as a Qantas Platinum on CX in a couple of weeks and have an overnight layover. My flight it due to arrive at 2145 and my connecting flight to Shanghai is at 10am the next morning. I'm not keen to exit the airport and more than happy to sleep at the airport if possible.

Assuming I have my bags checked through to PVG and my boarding pass I can relax in the Cathay first lounges until they close around 2am and then would have to exit for the few hours before returning? What happens airside after all departures can I relax out in the terminal? Or am I forced to go through immigration in which case I could relax in the arrivals lounge and then have to rest in the airport until check in opens? I do love HK but based on my arrival time it pretty much be leave sleep and return to the airport - I'm happy to be a little uncomfortable and save on a room and just nap in the lounges.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
No you can't. As per the rules and per other recent posts here, you only have CX lounge access on the day of departure. The Arrival Lounge is only open from 05:30 to midnight (the website says 12:00am - I assume that's midnight).

What I'm not sure of is whether other OW lounges might let you in. I had a good experience recently with the JL F lounge at HND which was very welcoming at 10pm when my F boarding pass was for CX at 10am the next day. Not sure if that would work at HKG with, say, the QF lounge. But it seems clear from reports that CX won't let you in. Edit: but the QF lounge closes at 23:30...

Having said that, your 21:45 arrival from PVG is likely to be somewhat delayed, so maybe you won't get to HKG until 4am!

If I were you, and trying not to pay USD150 for an airport hotel room, then I'd look at Plaza Premium Lounges etc. Maybe you get access through a credit card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.