Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2013, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
I got the letter too & they broke their promise of perpetual waiver of annual fee. Now they ask u to beg them!
If they will waive when a customer calls in, does it not defeat changing the policy?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
If they will waive when a customer calls in, does it not defeat changing the policy?

There is a thread for that on Hong Kong Card
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=10964

Basically, DBS claimed that when the cardholder calls in, they will waive the charge. But if one forget the call in, they can earn extra money.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Promise is promise, especially for a bank can't keep theirs promise, no one will trust them any more!

Originally Posted by LchChester
Basically, DBS claimed that when the cardholder calls in, they will waive the charge. But if one forget the call in, they can earn extra money.
It's the responsibility for card holder to call for requesting on waiving the annual fee but the decision is on the bank if they didn't promise no annual fee at the very beginning.
Sure this is the best way to remind those who never use the card but I constantly use it & I also keep participating their promotions.
Sure they will lose my business.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by TalkFlyer
Promise is promise, especially for a bank can't keep theirs promise, no one will trust them any more!

It's the responsibility for card holder to call for requesting on waiving the annual fee but the decision is on the bank if they didn't promise no annual fee at the very beginning.
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=10943&p=3 #23 (another DBS card)

"Consumer Council won't help enforce a "forever" contract https://choice.yp.com.hk/consumer_co...6D%b9%ea%bf%fd

Have to live with asking for a waiver once a year like us.

I agree it's a disgusting business practice - state a fee with no ability to collect it from everyone, only hoping to catch people out - you snooze you lose - a very "Hongkie" practice.

And we wonder why everyone's so agitated around here..."

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by LchChester
But if one forget the call in, they can earn extra money.
Also:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=10943&p=3 #25

" - Corporates (but corporate cards have a lot more reporting)
- forgetful and/or disorganised customers
- undesired customers
- also is a convenient way to make people who have wealth management credit cards give up their cards (particularly Visa Infinites with their mandatory Priority Passes) if they have already given up their bank accounts."
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:47 am

I notice a lot of T&C exclude "online bill payment" from accumulating points... does this include automatic bill payments set up in a direct debit fashion from your credit card? e.g. my mobile phone bill gets automatically debited from my credit card each month, so does it mean I won't earn points on that bill? Not sure what the difference between automatic pay and online bill pay would be...
Old Sep 5, 2013, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by sillysailor
I notice a lot of T&C exclude "online bill payment" from accumulating points... does this include automatic bill payments set up in a direct debit fashion from your credit card? e.g. my mobile phone bill gets automatically debited from my credit card each month, so does it mean I won't earn points on that bill? Not sure what the difference between automatic pay and online bill pay would be...
Direct Debit Authorisation is not an Online Bill Payment. Online Bill Payments are bill payments initiated from *bank's* (not merchant's) websites or at merchant's premises (signed DDA form).
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Direct Debit Authorisation is not an Online Bill Payment. Online Bill Payments are bill payments initiated from *bank's* (not merchant's) websites or at merchant's premises (signed DDA form).
Thanks as always! All the more points for me then
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by percysmith
- you snooze you lose - a very "Hongkie" practice.
This happens in India, too.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
since noone posted yet...
http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/cards/prom208

HSBC - Red Hot Earn Fast Buy Smart Special

Essentially a HK $1.52/miles up to HK$7000 (4620miles). Spending period starts 9 Sep

requires registration.

I like HSBC promotion but their maximum cap is so crap I hardly take them seriously.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fakecd

Essentially a HK $1.52/miles up to HK$7000 (4620miles). Spending period starts 9 Sep

requires registration.

I like HSBC promotion but their maximum cap is so crap I hardly take them seriously.
No web registration this time. Need to call in

Basically what they meant was:
HKD 3000-6999...Extra $10 RC for every $500 spent
HKD 7000-7500...Extra $20 RC for every $500 spent
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days

requires registration.

Unless I'm mistaken, the fine print on this is a dealbreaker at least for me. Only transactions above HKD500 count. While my monthly card spend in total is well in excess of HKD7,000, the vast majority of that is smaller transaction amounts.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Unless I'm mistaken, the fine print on this is a dealbreaker at least for me. Only transactions above HKD500 count. While my monthly card spend in total is well in excess of HKD7,000, the vast majority of that is smaller transaction amounts.
Good catch.
But I guess one simple air ticket charged to this card will be above 7.5k already
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Good catch.
But I guess one simple air ticket charged to this card will be above 7.5k already
i keep using CX Amex for those "smaller" transaction. But when HSBC promo is up, they are good for one shot medium sized tickets of up to 10k.

I guess they are targeting mass market... i mean 7k spending with minimum 500 each within 1 mth is not small for the mass public... in a everyday life you don't get to spend 500 hkd unless u go for big ticket item.

just to be clear, it can be 7500 hkd in 1 shot...
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:47 am

requires registration.
Thank you for the heads up.
Assuming that one spends HK7,500 (in one go or in bouts of HK500 and above) one gets 4,620 miles. It varies a alot as to how miles are valued, but take a higher figure of HK0.20 per mile. This works out at HKD924. So just about 12%. Not bad but nowhere as attractive as the Mannings promos. Am I right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.