Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:29 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

DBS Amex is only good cos it's an Amex - DCC free and good rates at some countries like Thailand and Japan. $4/mile is good but can be better (equal to citi pm, worse than fubon plat $3/mile and HSBC $2.78/mile).

HSBC 6x ($2.78/mile) capped to $120,000. But unless you use unionpay, you are exposed to DCC.

For me, post SCB AE, I rather use fubon for overseas and use my 6X on something else like dining. That is if 6x carries on next year.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I don't see the value in DBS for me.

Overseas - Citi PM is the same ($4/mile)
Local - Amex Plat is $7.50/mile, versus DBS $6/mile

But I don't spend that much locally, perhaps only around $20K/month, which works out to be only a difference of 8,000 Asia Mile per year. If they don't waive my first year annual fee, there's no way I can justify paying $1,800 for earning 8,000 more miles.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
I don't see the value in DBS for me.

Overseas - Citi PM is the same ($4/mile)
Local - Amex Plat is $7.50/mile, versus DBS $6/mile

But I don't spend that much locally, perhaps only around $20K/month, which works out to be only a difference of 8,000 Asia Mile per year. If they don't waive my first year annual fee, there's no way I can justify paying $1,800 for earning 8,000 more miles.
What rate is the new Citi Prestige for local spending? Is it HKD 6 to 1 mile? Maybe this is the best from now on for both local and overseas, barring a meagre HKD 120K for HSBC if one signs up for overseas spending. Or there is also Fubon which I don't have. Is the Fubon Plat still available at HKD 3 to 1 mile for overseas? And is it difficult to avoid DCC which I read here a lot? Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Originally Posted by percysmith
[SIZE=1]
For me, post SCB AE, I rather use fubon for overseas and use my 6X on something else like dining. That is if 6x carries on next year.
What's the reason for "post" SCB AE? I happen to have that card, and hopefully it is not going away!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by nsolitude
What's the reason for "post" SCB AE? I happen to have that card, and hopefully it is not going away!
Read upstream. The x2 and x6 are ending.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Read upstream. The x2 and x6 are ending.
Thanks. Bad news. No reason to be with SCB anymore!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=11129
http://www.standardchartered.com.hk/...n-express.html

"With effect from 18 November 2013, the "2X and 6X 360° Rewards Points Program" will be discontinued. Please click here to view the Notice of Change of "2X and 6X 360° Rewards Points Program" and Annual Reward Scheme Fee applicable to Standard Chartered American Express® Credit Card. "

Well we saw it coming.

--> Fubon $3/mile for overseas where DCC not a concern
--> DBS $4/mile where it is

But now I have to guess.

Screw SCB. Nothing to keep me with them, I'm cutting them and turning them into a churn bank like Citi.
Argghhh......bad news for me then Okay then, I am using it for the last 2 months here in SG and will convert at least another 150k miles out of the program before waving bye2 to this card finally.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Does anyone know whether the Standard Chartered "Top-Up" (= buying points) option is still valid after they scrap the 2x / 6x program on 18 November 2013?

I will stop using my SC cards from 18 November 2013 onwards. However, I would preferably keep the miles in my account until near the expiry date before paying to double my points, and then converting to Asia Miles. That way the Asia Miles will expire later.

Reading the amended terms and conditions - it doesn't mention anything about changing the "Top-Up" option.

Any ideas?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: CX Macro Polo Club
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
What rate is the new Citi Prestige for local spending? Is it HKD 6 to 1 mile?
Citi HK Prestige
  1. Local / HKD6 = 1AM
  2. Overseas / HKD4 = 1AM
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Does anyone know whether the Standard Chartered "Top-Up" (= buying points) option is still valid after they scrap the 2x / 6x program on 18 November 2013?

I will stop using my SC cards from 18 November 2013 onwards. However, I would preferably keep the miles in my account until near the expiry date before paying to double my points, and then converting to Asia Miles. That way the Asia Miles will expire later.

Reading the amended terms and conditions - it doesn't mention anything about changing the "Top-Up" option.

Any ideas?

Hello Psychiatrist, can you please enlighten me where is this "top up" option in the 360 Rewards page? Do I have to call in?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 2:59 pm

I don't think it's affected. I just don't find the option economical.

nsolitude: "HK$0.008 to 1 Bonus Point" https://ibanklite.standardchartered....ewFAQ&menuNo=5

Max buy the same amount of points as your current points balance "To purchase 360° Rewards Points, you would need to fulfill the minimum points requirement that is your available 360° Rewards Points balance should not be less than 50% of the required 360° Rewards Points for the item you wish to redeem."

HK$0.008 per point
15 points per mile
--> $0.12 per mile
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:23 pm

nsolitude: "HK$0.008 to 1 Bonus Point" https://ibanklite.standardchartered....ewFAQ&menuNo=5

Max buy the same amount of points as your current points balance "To purchase 360° Rewards Points, you would need to fulfill the minimum points requirement that is your available 360° Rewards Points balance should not be less than 50% of the required 360° Rewards Points for the item you wish to redeem."

HK$0.008 per point
15 points per mile
--> $0.12 per mile
Hello percysmith,

Thanks for your help! I finally found the portion in FAQ that states the topup policy, and I am not sure if I am reading correctly, it says I cannot purchase points, because I have sufficient points to redeem miles? Does this option occur when I confirm my purchase?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

From the SCB FAQ:

Can I use the Top-Up function while I have sufficient 360° Rewards Points for rewards redemption in my account?

Credit Card
The Top-Up function will only be available when you do not have sufficient 360° Rewards Points in the account to proceed with the Shopping Cart Order.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:26 pm

HK$0.008 per point
15 points per mile
--> $0.12 per mile
Let's say I have 500k points right now, how can I select this option?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by nsolitude
Let's say I have 500k points right now, how can I select this option?
Normally you can only redeem 33,000 miles with that.

Try asking for 66,000 miles

The following should appear:

"Top Up More Points

Points required for redemption in your Cart are more than the Rewards Points available in your account. You can either purchase more points and charge it to your credit card, or edit your order by removing / reducing the quantity in the table above.

Top Up Points Required: 500000
Total Cost of Top Up Points: HKD 4,000.00
Card Number to Buy Top Up Points:"
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:13 pm

Normally you can only redeem 33,000 miles with that.

Try asking for 66,000 miles

The following should appear:

"Top Up More Points

Points required for redemption in your Cart are more than the Rewards Points available in your account. You can either purchase more points and charge it to your credit card, or edit your order by removing / reducing the quantity in the table above.

Top Up Points Required: 500000
Total Cost of Top Up Points: HKD 4,000.00
Card Number to Buy Top Up Points:"
I see. If this is the case, than someone with more than 2 million points cannot actually purchase any points until they absolutely spent the first 99x15000?

Called SCB: SCB told me that if I want to redeem with the top-up, I can call and there will be no limit to how much I can redeem. Now the question is whether 10kHKD for 100k miles is worth it?

Last edited by nsolitude; Sep 17, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.