Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by objective
Citi HK Prestige
  1. Local / HKD6 = 1AM
  2. Overseas / HKD4 = 1AM
Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsolitude
I see. If this is the case, than someone with more than 2 million points cannot actually purchase any points until they absolutely spent the first 99x15000?
Exactly. You can only top up if you don't have enough points.

So what I do is I top up whenever I'm at 50% x 99 x 15000 = 742500 SC points, empty my account and repeat.

Originally Posted by percysmith
I don't think it's affected. I just don't find the option economical.

HK$0.008 per point
15 points per mile
--> $0.12 per mile
At $0.12 to buy 1 Asia Mile, it's great value for me - a RTW in J (say 160,000 Asia Miles) is only $19,200. I'm willing to pay that.

Last edited by Psychiatrist; Sep 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm Reason: add content
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Exactly. You can only top up if you don't have enough points.

So what I do is I top up whenever I'm at 50% x 99 x 15000 = 742500 SC points, empty my account and repeat.

At $0.12 to buy 1 Asia Mile, it's great value.
Yes, I was thinking I would follow but never got round to that. Now it is very late.

Question - do points accrue once you have spent on your card and it has posted, probably 3 days or so later? or do they accrue when the monthly statement is issued?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Yes, I was thinking I would follow but never got round to that. Now it is very late.

Question - do points accrue once you have spent on your card and it has posted, probably 3 days or so later? or do they accrue when the monthly statement is issued?

Thanks.
Points accrue once money has been spent (within a few days). Sometimes it's quite quick - there have been several times where I've gone quite a lot over the 50% mark because of one big overseas purchase (or CX Holidays, which also gets you 6x points).

I try to top up as soon as I'm near the 50% mark, so that I don't waste the chance to buy as many miles as I can.

[I think I've bought too many miles.... one side effect is that now I have a headache thinking of how to use up the 500K+ miles currently in my AM/MPC account plus another 400K+ in my Amex Plat and Citi PM ....]
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:40 pm

Points accrue once money has been spent (within a few days). Sometimes it's quite quick - there have been several times where I've gone quite a lot over the 50% mark because of one big overseas purchase (or CX Holidays, which also gets you 6x points).

I try to top up as soon as I'm near the 50% mark, so that I don't waste the chance to buy as many miles as I can.

[I think I've bought too many miles.... one side effect is that now I have a headache thinking of how to use up the 500K+ miles currently in my AM/MPC account plus another 400K+ in my Amex Plat and Citi PM ....]
Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:41 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Bankcomm Want To Fly was $0.063/mile (as admin fee) and CCB 939 is $0.0704/mile (as cash advance fee, before redemption fee but also not including miles earn from HSBC Bill Payment into CCB CUP)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:42 pm

Amex Plat and Citi PM are evergreen...unless you're inclined to churn the cards or cut the Amex Plat for recent fee increase.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:46 pm

Amex Plat and Citi PM are evergreen...unless you're inclined to churn the cards or cut the Amex Plat for recent fee increase.
Indeed - I'm just keeping the points in my card. Won't be churning them for now - I can't afford to cut the card and have all the miles deposited into my AM/MPC - I have way too many miles and I can't use them all.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:55 pm

Indeed - I'm just keeping the points in my card. Won't be churning them for now - I can't afford to cut the card and have all the miles deposited into my AM/MPC - I have way too many miles and I can't use them all.
No but if you're determined to drop AE Plat you can take up AE Gold Charge instead...(I did)

And if you're not spending much on AE, don't pay the $240 Turbo Reward fee! (I'm paying mine...)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
Thanks everyone for the advice! Err, I guess I will make an one-off, giant, lump-sum transfer of points.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
No but if you're determined to drop AE Plat you can take up AE Gold Charge instead...(I did)

And if you're not spending much on AE, don't pay the $240 Turbo Reward fee! (I'm paying mine...)
AE told me you need to enroll Turbo Rewards in order to redeem miles.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
BTW, I have redeemed two incidents of asiamiles while cutting my AE Plat Credit.

AE transferred miles to me in 3 days, but my instruction to transfer the miles to my gf's account has gone missing (?). AE told me they have succesfully transferred miles to our accounts respectively on two different days...
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:22 am
Suspended

Calling percysmith for his expert knowledge. Received my new Citibank private client ATM card today and surprised it is now a visa platinum card. Not sure u know anything about this? So it is a Citibank private client visa platinum card which is my ATM card. What is surprising is that they stated a 1% cash rebate for the first 90 days then 0.5% after with no annual cap!!!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by correctioncx
Calling percysmith for his expert knowledge. Received my new Citibank private client ATM card today and surprised it is now a visa platinum card. Not sure u know anything about this? So it is a Citibank private client visa platinum card which is my ATM card. What is surprising is that they stated a 1% cash rebate for the first 90 days then 0.5% after with no annual cap!!!
We arent interested at1% rebates to start with. $8/mile (citi pm) earn rate at 10c/mile valuation... Unless u value miles less
Old Sep 19, 2013, 8:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

We arent interested at1% rebates to start with. $8/mile (citi pm) earn rate at 10c/mile valuation... Unless u value miles less
I wanted to see whether this also link to premiermiles or the editing ultima card? Ie I get to double dip?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.