Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by percysmith
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...-100.html#1500

SCB HK customers better watch out for similar changes.
I gave up on SCB and Citi. Both banks are scam. In both cases they refused to award me the points they offered upon enrolement. 2 months of fighting, and eventually I said I was going to take this up with HKMA for fraudulent activity and deception to entice customer. Surprise surprise my promised reward points was in account within 12 hours.

since then I never used these cards and never will use either bank.

HSBC as far as ...... reward cash goes, it's the most honest and I stick to it.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Bankcomm 25,000AM promo 21 May-20 Aug

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=10379&p=1

On my statement:

"由5月21日至8月20日,憑卡累積簽賬滿 $4,000 及登記,可參加「賞飛就飛」計劃,先袋走高達 $1,200 現金回贈或300,000 獎賞積分 !"

My translation: From 21 May to 20 Aug, on registering your [Bankcomm] card and accumulation of $4,000 spending, you are entitled to earn up to $1,200 cash rebate or 300,000 bonus points [25,000 AM].

My guess: 3 phases, 100K bonus points per phase.

Nice thing about Bankcomm is each card works seperately (not like HSBC/BoC who link up all your cards by HKID). My 5 cards at the ready!

Watch this webpage: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/tw/credit...ant_offer.html as well as the hongkongcard.com page above.

(P.S. remember to pay for dining (and flowers if there're any left) >=$500 with BEA today for 9X!)
Old May 11, 2013, 10:32 pm
Suspended

percysmith, how many credit cards do you carry in your wallet on a daily base?
Old May 12, 2013, 3:09 am

Not a lot - one bank ATM, one HSBC Visa cum ATM card, WLB Plat, one CCB eye
Old May 12, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
With my impending move to SIN wef July 2013, I will be cancelling most of my HK-based cards and plan to retain only the following:
(1) SCB AE - primarily to rake up "overseas" spendings in SIN (HK$2.5/mile) and to be credited to AM in the future considering options to credit to AM for SIN-based CC are fairly limited.

(2) Citibank PM - for non-AE spending that I will continue to recur in HKG (such as my insurance premium, etc) even after my relocation. Again, points to be credited to AM (HK$8/mile)

(3) BankComm Diamond CUP - kinda like this card for the regular promotion (such as 13x promo end of last year) that I can still use in SIN too and points to be credited to AM (HK$6/mile for > HK$300 spending).

I still have yet to make up my mind regarding DBS Black and HSBC Plat. Will probably keep one of them (maybe HSBC as they have been fairly aggressive with their RewardCash promo since 2011).
Old May 12, 2013, 7:49 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think you are right

There's no point spending in Singapore with HKD cards. Esp when they have very wonderful local cards of their own http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html

the anz travel visa is close to hk$4/mile and the uob prvi is even better than hk$4/mile. They also have a uob preferred plat visa which is like CCB eye but earns twice as many miles (almost hk$1.5/mile)

Their foreign exchange transaction fees are much higher than ours (up to 3.25% for the prvi) so keeping the SCB AE is a good idea.

Good to keep bankcomm cup too for unionpay access and whatever crazy promos they might throw up.
Old May 12, 2013, 7:51 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Keep DBS black if u don't mind calling HK for fee waivers. Redemption fee free.

Not sure what u want HSBC for - their overseas spending offers?
Old May 12, 2013, 8:43 am

I think you are right

There's no point spending in Singapore with HKD cards. Esp when they have very wonderful local cards of their own http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...er-thread.html

the anz travel visa is close to hk$4/mile and the uob prvi is even better than hk$4/mile. They also have a uob preferred plat visa which is like CCB eye but earns twice as many miles (almost hk$1.5/mile)

Their foreign exchange transaction fees are much higher than ours (up to 3.25% for the prvi) so keeping the SCB AE is a good idea.

Good to keep bankcomm cup too for unionpay access and whatever crazy promos they might throw up.
SCB AE is one the "rare" card that even HKGers now cannot even apply to So, I will treasure that.

As for HSBC, I can use the busy shopping periods during Summer, Christmas and CNY (Red Hot Shopping Promos) to get some bonus points. I believe they will still be offered this Summer.

My gripe about SIN-based cards are the lack of options to credit to AM (or higher rates for AM accrual). So, keeping a few HKG-based cards for AM redemptions later on will be very handy.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:24 am
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
We got our responses back from Shacom, largely based on the letter I received from their lawyers. Here's the common wording:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=8690&p=95 #945
Take a look at this first:
http://www.hkma.gov.hk/media/eng/doc...ual/CR-S-5.pdf

If you believe the bank has failed to comply with the SPM above, you can file a complaint with HKMA. Failure to comply with SPM is a big no-no and will trigger an audit by HKMA's supervising case officer assigned to the bank. This is a huge headache for the business unit and the compliance department.

However in your case, the bank may say you are creating your own revolving credit facility and due to unusual transaction volume above your credit limit, the bank has the right to flag your account as a suspicious account for AML (anti-money laundering) purposes, unless you have a good written reason and previous attempts to apply for an increase of your credit limit (with supporting income proof documents). AML basically vetoes everything.

I'm glad to give you more help. I was a complaints officer for a bank - the poor old sod who gets chased by HKMA when SPM compliance and complaints comes in - and also was the business head for the credit card division. I launched one of the credit cards you guys mentioned
Old May 13, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
With my impending move to SIN wef July 2013, I will be cancelling most of my HK-based cards and plan to retain only the following:
(1) SCB AE - primarily to rake up "overseas" spendings in SIN (HK$2.5/mile) and to be credited to AM in the future considering options to credit to AM for SIN-based CC are fairly limited.

(2) Citibank PM - for non-AE spending that I will continue to recur in HKG (such as my insurance premium, etc) even after my relocation. Again, points to be credited to AM (HK$8/mile)

(3) BankComm Diamond CUP - kinda like this card for the regular promotion (such as 13x promo end of last year) that I can still use in SIN too and points to be credited to AM (HK$6/mile for > HK$300 spending).

I still have yet to make up my mind regarding DBS Black and HSBC Plat. Will probably keep one of them (maybe HSBC as they have been fairly aggressive with their RewardCash promo since 2011).
I moved to SIN a couple of years back. Had held onto the DBS Black Card/ CX Amex / HSBC initially (more out of laziness to call and cancel than anything else). Now, just hold the CX Amex - for the free priority pass. (most SIN based cards have just a 'light' version of the priority pass..)- head over to the SQ forum for the 'which cards in SIN' bit of the dialogue.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
SCB AE is one the "rare" card that even HKGers now cannot even apply to So, I will treasure that.

As for HSBC, I can use the busy shopping periods during Summer, Christmas and CNY (Red Hot Shopping Promos) to get some bonus points. I believe they will still be offered this Summer.

My gripe about SIN-based cards are the lack of options to credit to AM (or higher rates for AM accrual). So, keeping a few HKG-based cards for AM redemptions later on will be very handy.
In SIN, UOB aint bad for Asiamiles. 4miles/SGD on dining (preferred amex), visa paywave/non-travel online (preferred visa), and 2.5or1.6miles/SGD on the PRVI miles. Most others tend to be Krisflyer focussed...
Old May 15, 2013, 9:56 pm

Bankcomm 25,000AM promo 21 May-20 Aug

On my statement:

"由5月21日至8月20日,憑卡累積簽賬滿 $4,000 及登記,可參加「賞飛就飛」計劃,先袋走高達 $1,200 現金回贈或300,000 獎賞積分 !"

My translation: From 21 May to 20 Aug, on registering your [Bankcomm] card and accumulation of $4,000 spending, you are entitled to earn up to $1,200 cash rebate or 300,000 bonus points [25,000 AM].

My guess: 3 phases, 100K bonus points per phase.

Nice thing about Bankcomm is each card works seperately (not like HSBC/BoC who link up all your cards by HKID). My 5 cards at the ready!

Watch this webpage: http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/tw/credit...ant_offer.html as well as the hongkongcard.com page above.
It's out:

http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/tw/credit...ant_offer.html
http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafile...f_16298_tc.pdf

Translation:

4 targets
and 3 phases
Target:
1. 4k-10k
2. 10k-20k
3. 20k-60k
4. >60k
Phases:
1..21/5-20/6
2..21/6-20/7
3..21/7-20/8
Target and awards:.
1. 4k-10k (award 20k bonus points)
2. 10k-20k (award 40k bonus points).
3. 20k-60k (award 80k bonus points)
4. >60k (award HK Airline BKK tickets and 60k bonus points)
4-6 weeks and you will receive reward
if cannot meet spending target, handling charge:
Target 1: $180
Target 2: $260
Target 3: $420
Target 4: $2760
300,000 - select target 3 and include basic

target 1 quota: 750
target 2 quota: 700
target 3 quota: 700
target 4 quota; 50

min $400 per eligible spending
no telephone/mail/fax
internet ok but "direct merchants only" (e.g. groupon: no, airline direct: yes)

Each card registers and plays separately, so long as u get under the quota

Registration hotline.2132 9939
9:00AM Tue 21 May
Old May 19, 2013, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Amateur! http://www.scmp.com/business/money/s...-miles-plastic
Old May 20, 2013, 6:26 am

Indeed. percysmith and kaka will write better than him.
Old May 20, 2013, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
Im sure the "beginner's kit" by percysmith is much better

Again... he/she missed out the WLB CUP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.