Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by toplayer
Their head of Credit Card promotions must have been chewed out by the board. They made 2 mistakes on a commercial level - firstly having this promotion without the proper analysis and secondly not taking the proper remedial measure (imposing a cap rather than cutting off new applications) when things got out of hand with market response. I wonder how much they lost on this and what this would mean for future promotions going forward.
Yeah.
First cancellation: LCH.C at 2013-02-27 15:23:11

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=8690&p=46 457#

"係收到佢地封"friendly reminder"之後6個鐘就收到羅先生既電話通知我張卡已被停用"
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:01 am

Percy, interesting.

From your link, there was reference to DBS doing something similiar (?) but allowing miles to be kept. What was the DBS situation?

Thank you.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Percy, interesting.

From your link, there was reference to DBS doing something similiar (?) but allowing miles to be kept. What was the DBS situation?

Thank you.
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5307&p=7

Karson Cheung

"發表於 2011-05-30 19:53:57
dbs 勁仆街!!!!!!!!!!!! - [ 星展銀行 ]
張black卡儲左6百萬分.....冇拿拿寄封信黎話要cut我張卡...d分依家仲嘈緊! !!! "

"發表於 2011-05-30 23:24:21
之前碌apple之嘛..張卡都係開左幾個月.. "

"發表於 2011-07-19 04:19:54
拎得番d分喇~~
依家用第張卡轉玩1%回贈"

Standard Chartered is also known to terminate cards for cardholders buying excessive amounts of Apple products http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=5747&p=1

P.S. Flash update on my own situation:

Shacom just suspended my card
Probably for the 43k I paid into my account before my phone call
Fortunately was only temporary - they unsuspended it so i can pay for dinner
But warned me to "stay within my limit" moving forward
6x well and truly over
They will only let blacklisted cardholders such as LCH.C and me spend 1.0X of our credit limits per month now. If we attempted to prepay we'll be suspended, probably permanently.

It's as if Shacom's just inserted the TVB 4X "The maximum extra 3-time Bonus Points reward for each credit card account per month ss 3 times of the credit card account's credit limit" term to PLK 6X.

Am trying to up the limit now - did an "pulled all the stops" application - 9 pages long. Will update what happens.

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 27, 2013 at 10:29 am
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:25 am

What is your monthly limit? or if you prefer, let us have a ballpark.

Can't you get your wife/family member start another card? That way you have more to play around with.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:36 am

I've disclosed it in hongkongcard.com before - 60K. I started at 45K, tried for 80K line increase with my pay slip alone but they would only grant 60K.

They aren't generally issuing Shacom cards after 5 October:

https://www.shacombank.com.hk/scb/en...d_group.html#5

"Exclusive for Po Leung Kuk staff and selected customers "

It might be another legacy collectible like SCB AE.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:44 am

Huh?
So a BANK is not issuing credit cards?
Is this not strange?
I thought banks fall head over heels to attrack new card holders ... running around in the streets, booths in malls and lots of incentives like rice cookers, and of course, miles!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:49 am

Huh?
So a BANK is not issuing credit cards?
Is this not strange?
I thought banks fall head over heels to attrack new card holders ... running around in the streets, booths in malls and lots of incentives like rice cookers, and of course, miles!
A lot of us here without SCB AE will be glad to be exorcised on SCB's Des Veoux head office steps if they can apply for the SCB AE now, with its 6X (albeit 15 pts a mile, still $2.5 overseas spend/mile) and no DCC issues. The card has not been available for application since February 2011

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4973 #2
http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...hp?id=4835&p=9 #89

Now Shacom PLK has joined them. Tho I suspect there won't be any more Shacom PLK-specific promotion for some time given the grief this promo's (probably) caused them.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:10 am

Well, Standard Chartered has other cards, maybe not the Amex.

Does Shanghai Commercial have other cards? it is fine if they dont have PLK but they must at least have the usual cards.

After this saga, Shanghai Commercial is unlikely to run generous promos!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:37 am

Well, Standard Chartered has other cards, maybe not the Amex.

Does Shanghai Commercial have other cards? it is fine if they dont have PLK but they must at least have the usual cards.

After this saga, Shanghai Commercial is unlikely to run generous promos!
All the other Standard Chartered cards are shxt. I started a Worst Card list of 2012 just so I can put them and BEA in http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=9144 (although BEA put out some targeted promos that are better after I started the list.

I know quite a few other people who applied for Shacom Plat instead of PLK when PLK had the 2X dining/3X overseas/10X Sunday and PH dining promo. At that time both PLK and Plat enjoyed the same offers and Shacom Plat might have a slightly better welcome offer - $500 cash rebate vs PLK's 3,000AM (may be better to some people). But they were really kicking themselves very very hard when 6X came about.

6X is very much a surprise to me as normally affinity cards don't get targeted promos (at least BEA likes to starve their CPA Australia cardholders out).
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:59 am

I am a rookie here, but found the info here extremely useful. I understand that there is a comparison of conversion ratio at the top of this topic. But is there an updated comparison I can find? or maybe someone is nice enough to refresh the list? . Given that SCB AMEX is no longer available and shacom plk may follow suit. (it feels like DBS has changed their conversion ratio as well?)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:15 am
Suspended

Maybe percysmith can help us set up a new 2013 best credit card thread?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Maybe percysmith can help us set up a new 2013 best credit card thread?
he does feed me with info so i can update the first 2 messages. It's my fault really - I'm lazy
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by kaka
he does feed me with info so i can update the first 2 messages. It's my fault really - I'm lazy
Post 1 is actually up to date.

I can't create a customised list for everybody - upload a Pivottable? That'd be even more confusing.

Some FTers have SCB AE and Shacom PLK and TVB and some don't. If they have it they should use it first.
(Oh kaka - might mark Shacom PLK "(no longer accepting new applications)" similar to SCB AE).

Post 1 ranks cards from highest earn to lowest earn category.
It's really geared towards more experienced cardholders trying to identify what additional cards to apply for (e.g. apply for HSBC with 6X to earn $2.78/mile on dining instead of $8/mile on BEA/Citibank Premiermiles/Shacom Plat and Titanium)

I get a lot of irritating posts on hongkongcard.com "What is the best *card* (singular) for Asia Miles? Tks"
There is no one best card for AM. There is no category killer - that card will be extraordinary expensive to run for the issuer bank so each bank tries to occupy a niche.
Two cards came close to being category killers - Fubon Plat in 2011 and Shacom Plat and Titanium in 2012. However both banks did not see fit to extend their offers into 2012/2013.
If you need a place to start, that will be section V. Other Retail Spending. A combo like DBS Black and either Citibank Premiermiles or Shacom Plat and Titanium will be a nice place to start.

P.S. Kaka pls also update CX Amex Elite welcome offer - now 5,000AM for $5,000 spending, + $5/mile on *any* merchant (not just Everyday Merchants).

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 28, 2013 at 5:32 am
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:26 am

percysmith!

How many points you earned finally from PLK Shacom Plat card?
I earned 1,800,000 points up to this moment. I phoned to CS & try to increase my credit limit but they refused my application. I only way I can do is credit back my account by PPS & recovered my credit limit.

Luckily I didn't receive any warning up to now. Maybe my earning points are small when compared with you!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by drkkor
percysmith!

How many points you earned finally from PLK Shacom Plat card?
I earned 1,800,000 points up to this moment. I phoned to CS & try to increase my credit limit but they refused my application. I only way I can do is credit back my account by PPS & recovered my credit limit.

Luckily I didn't receive any warning up to now. Maybe my earning points are small when compared with you!
A lot more than u. But I rather not publish the figure publicly. I thought about hanging the warning letter next to my Chartered Accountant cert on my office wall though.

Also, we discovered Shacom is not sin-binning people on volume of transactions alone. A couple of friends did about the same volume of transactions as you. One got flagged cos his limit's 30K. The other did not cos he's 80K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.