Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How does the DM/GO seat guarantee actually work?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood

I understand that as DM I can get on oversold flights, but I don't understand what the whole guaranteed cheaper fare class thing entails. For instance, I tried calling about the Phuket KA flight, and was quoted H class at $5,600 roughly round-trip. That is just slightly under the roughly $6k for Y. Understandably there aren't many/any specials around CNY, but what exactly is guaranteed for DMs and GOs?

For example, if there ever were K,H,M,V etc. fares available at some point for that flight, do they have to make that fare and price available to the DM/GO under the seat guarantee regardless of when the DM/GO books? Or do prices of K,H,M,V etc. fares change as demand and load factors change? Say, hypothetically, four months ago you could've bought a M ticket for $3k HKD...would that same price be available to the DM two days before the flight under the seat guarantee? Or is it possible he will have to pay more, even for M?

Originally I just figured I didn't have to be proactive because of the guarantee, because I I thought I could get a cheap price at the last minute anyway. But after seeing the cheapest fare at $5.6k - and I can't imagine everyone on that plane paid at least that that for their ticket, although maybe I'm just crazy - I'm starting to think I don't actually understand how the seat guarantee works. I think it's more my misunderstanding about how fares are priced, and what realistically I should be expecting when I wait until the last minute to book a ticket and use my seat guarantee.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
I understand that as DM I can get on oversold flights, but I don't understand what the whole guaranteed cheaper fare class thing entails. For instance, I tried calling about the Phuket KA flight, and was quoted H class at $5,600 roughly round-trip. That is just slightly under the roughly $6k for Y.
Great question - in a similar situation....waited until the last minute to book only to find that CX would not sell me the V fare as one was never available for the specific dates I wanted to fly. The flight is completely oversold, and thru SG they will sell me their cheapest fare avail (was B) (this is CNY) so it makes sense.

Understandably there aren't many/any specials around CNY, but what exactly is guaranteed for DMs and GOs?
I guess the fact that we actually get a seat, at the lowest published fare (that is eligible for mileage accrual) and with a full flight very likely to get upgraded. Anyone ever been op'd from Y - F? My flight is looking at F0 / J0 / Y0 - wonder if I get the pilot's seat?

For example, if there ever were K,H,M,V etc. fares available at some point for that flight, do they have to make that fare and price available to the DM/GO under the seat guarantee regardless of when the DM/GO books?
Yup - that's exactly what CX ticketing explained. Doubt V would be available during CNY or other peak season travel.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:51 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
For those without tickets, you may have wondered why CX did not offer to guarantee you in a V fare (thinking that it is the cheapest). This is becuase CX doesn't usually sell any V fares from HKG, but for outports like LHR, for example.

In hemz88's case: There are no specials are available because it is CNY and CX simply books you into the lowest published fare from HKG which is in B class. As the flight is already sold out CX forces availaibilty in B class for hemz88.

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Or do prices of K,H,M,V etc. fares change as demand and load factors change? Say, hypothetically, four months ago you could've bought a M ticket for $3k HKD...would that same price be available to the DM two days before the flight under the seat guarantee? Or is it possible he will have to pay more, even for M?
No, the fares rarely change. And yes, the same price would be available for us 24 hours prior to the flight.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:23 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What kchika says is correct. But to QRC3288, I'm surprised that only YBH class fares are available on this flight!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
thx for the help, much appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:46 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by QRC3288
For instance, I tried calling about the Phuket KA flight, and was quoted H class at $5,600 roughly round-trip. That is just slightly under the roughly $6k for Y. Understandably there aren't many/any specials around CNY, but what exactly is guaranteed for DMs and GOs?
just wondering, you tried calling whom? is it CX/KA or travel agent? if CX/KA directly, often they don't have the specials that only the travel agents sell. if calling travel agent directly, I guess you have made sure that they are quoting you the lowest ? maybe they didn't know you have seat guarantee and so are quoting you only the lowest available now?

but, of course, it could be likely too that during CNY only higher fares are available...many lower fares are not applicable during CNY.

basically, as a DM/GO you get guaranteed for the lowest fare available in the market that's mileage-earning, as long as it's applicable for your departure date, and your travel itinerary meets min/max stay requirement, flight restriction if any, etc of that particular fare.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:46 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Another option is to see if there is a package deal thats cheaper. Some v class fares are reserved for packages and are still valid for seat guarantee. Check cxholidays site.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:40 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by sxc
Another option is to see if there is a package deal thats cheaper. Some v class fares are reserved for packages and are still valid for seat guarantee. Check cxholidays site.
Thanks a lot for this information also from myself.

As a mere CX Gold I can only get guaranteed seats in Economy, right? So generally, if buying CX econ flights from Europe or Korea, for example: I just hand my MPC number to the trusted travel agent and they handle the rest?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 4:55 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mosburger
Thanks a lot for this information also from myself.

As a mere CX Gold I can only get guaranteed seats in Economy, right? So generally, if buying CX econ flights from Europe or Korea, for example: I just hand my MPC number to the trusted travel agent and they handle the rest?
The agent should put you on the waitlist then call CX to have them release the seat for you.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:07 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
even if you call MPO, the process is similar, they first put you on waitlist and ask you to wait for a while and put you on hold, then after 30-60 seconds they come back and say the seat is confirmed. sounds like they need to get some manual approval too instead of the system automatically handling the seat guarantee process itself ?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
* You can book via your TA or CX.
* If your TA does not know how to do it, ask your TA to place you on waitlist and call MPC yourself.
* If M is closed for waitlist and the published fare is available, and Y is still accepting, your TA can book/waitlist you on Y. You can call MPC to do a seat guarantee on M. Note that only the booking class can be changed, otherwise your TA (even CX res) cannot have access to your booking. You will still be ticketing from your booking agent.
* There should be fares down to M, and sometimes to L or rarely V. It is highly unlikely that only YB or YBH fares are available. You can do seat guarantee down to V as long as fare is available. Note that fares may not be available for certain dates or certain flights. Sometimes fares are available if you ticket before a certain date. These restrictions still apply. If you need to book by 16 Jan for a flight by end of Mar, that fare is not available by 17 Jan even for seat guarantee.
* Fares can be very different for the same M bookings for different dates.
* You can still do seat guarantee when you need to change a flight after you start your trip.
* As a courtesy, do not do seat guarantee until you decide that you are flying that flight. I always book a few days before departure, and for all other segments, I pick ones that do not require seat guarantees. I will change flight and do seat guarantee when I am sure.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: OW Sapphire - CX MPC Gold, *A GOLD Turkish, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, BW Diamond
i've only had one incident where i used the guaranteed seat, and it wasn't even prompted by MPC..they simply said.. that they'll book the waitlist for me and my chances are high.. I did not hear anything about the lowest fare either.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Member

I also tried to use seat guarantee for Y a few days ago while switching a flight - the MPO agent also just said the flight is full and he'll waitlist me. then I said, wait, I think I have seat guarantee. then he said, yes you're right, pls wait for a while, I'll get the approval to get it confirmed...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by tedhl
I also tried to use seat guarantee for Y a few days ago while switching a flight - the MPO agent also just said the flight is full and he'll waitlist me. then I said, wait, I think I have seat guarantee. then he said, yes you're right, pls wait for a while, I'll get the approval to get it confirmed...
Seat guarantee can normally be done in a minute or two, but can range from a few seconds to up to two hours. You don't need to hold the line if you are busy. You can also give the agent your seat preference and he/she will take care of both the seat guarantee and seat assignment for you. You can log on your account later to check if it is done.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:44 am
Original Member

for me the wait usually is just 15-30 or max 60 seconds, so no big deal...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.