FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How does the DM/GO seat guarantee actually work?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 12:34 am
hemz88

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
I understand that as DM I can get on oversold flights, but I don't understand what the whole guaranteed cheaper fare class thing entails. For instance, I tried calling about the Phuket KA flight, and was quoted H class at $5,600 roughly round-trip. That is just slightly under the roughly $6k for Y.
Great question - in a similar situation....waited until the last minute to book only to find that CX would not sell me the V fare as one was never available for the specific dates I wanted to fly. The flight is completely oversold, and thru SG they will sell me their cheapest fare avail (was B) (this is CNY) so it makes sense.

Understandably there aren't many/any specials around CNY, but what exactly is guaranteed for DMs and GOs?
I guess the fact that we actually get a seat, at the lowest published fare (that is eligible for mileage accrual) and with a full flight very likely to get upgraded. Anyone ever been op'd from Y - F? My flight is looking at F0 / J0 / Y0 - wonder if I get the pilot's seat?

For example, if there ever were K,H,M,V etc. fares available at some point for that flight, do they have to make that fare and price available to the DM/GO under the seat guarantee regardless of when the DM/GO books?
Yup - that's exactly what CX ticketing explained. Doubt V would be available during CNY or other peak season travel.