Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

"You have not flown with us for the whole year, how come?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl

Called into CX's phone line to confirm my reservations. Had a very outstanding customer agent thank me for choosing CX, confirmed seats, any special catering needs, any special other needs, tell me that check-in at JFK was not handled by CX but by BA etc. etc. Just a very pleasant conversation. Then the question hit...

"Now Mr. XXX, I have looked over your history with us and you have not flied with us for the whole year, how come?"

First of all, I am not offended by the question, yet welcome it because at least they are still trying to get my business. But I had to make up quite the half-... answer. Fact is, I am not stationed in Asia anymore and I use another airline stateside for most of my flight plans. But I did not say that to the lady on the other line.

What are the possible excuses?

*Well, I suddenly developed a weakness for flying.
*I thought the avian flu was still going around.
*SARS, etc. same as first.
*oneWorld stateside carrier AA is AWFUL!!! (I've heard this one used by the way)

Any other creative excuses?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:56 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Why would you want a creative excuse instead of the truth?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Mrs. mjcewl has worked in a phone center before and she has told me some comments that customers give can be recorded in a "notes" section and will put people in a disadvantage when it comes time to bargain. That's why I did not tell them straight up.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:39 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Mrs. mjcewl has worked in a phone center before and she has told me some comments that customers give can be recorded in a "notes" section and will put people in a disadvantage when it comes time to bargain. That's why I did not tell them straight up.
Mrs. mjcewl is probably right about the note being made. The second part is very subjective.

Let us know what you want to "bargain" for at a later date and I'm sure someone can then come up with an excuse that will support that
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:30 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
But if you said something like "I don't find CX to be as good as xxxxx airline anymore and I am using them now" wouldn't it be mroe likely that CX would give you a sweetener to come back?

If you give them a reason that wasn't their fault then they won't do anything for you.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:06 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Another explanation could be "I now work for a new employer and CX is not one of their preferred carriers". Maybe they could get their commercial sales department to do something about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.