Community
Wiki Posts
Search

award first just too hard to get?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

award first just too hard to get?

I have a little dream of travelling CX First via points... would be nice to have my annual trip home HKG-SYD in luxury ... makes all the hard work worth it

But then... when I search the CX website booking tool... there is... *0* seats for HKG-SYD.... and I checked for about 2 months on either side of my desired travel date (march 2007).

Oddly, it seems there is some seats for the return SYD-HKG but that is pretty pointless if I can't get the outbound!

Should I shelve my little dream?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:36 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green
Originally Posted by novacatz
I have a little dream of travelling CX First via points... would be nice to have my annual trip home HKG-SYD in luxury ...

But then... when I search the CX website booking tool... there is... *0* seats for HKG-SYD.... and I checked for about 2 months on either side of my desired travel date (march 2007).

Should I shelve my little dream?
I have a little dream of travelling CX Business via points that redeemped in advance of check-in date... would be nice to have my trip SYD-HKG-SYD with point upgrade...

But then... when I search the CX website booking tool... there is... *0* seats for both SYD-HKG and HKG-SYD... and I checked for about 11months in advance of my desired date and it's still *0*. (at least in J)

Should I forget the upgrade on SYD<->HKG route and try some other Asian routes instead?

Well... It is extremely hard to redeemp Business or First class tickets in advance for CX, unfortunately... Because these premium classes are always packed in low or high seasons. I usually redeemp one-way upgrade at the airport if I really want to. But then, it means I had wasted some miles as return booking save you some points. But the question is can I get a return upgrade confirmed at all? The answer is NO for 99.99999% of the time.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:54 am

What is your status?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:58 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green
Originally Posted by hairpeace
What is your status?

Silver
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:35 am
Suspended

Just WL on U or Z Class and wait.

CX 139 and 138 seems to be the easiest to get seats on.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you could wait until close to flight date, CX seems to release a lot more F and J seats within 7-10 days of departure. Of course, all flights may not be available and this only works if you could travel on any flight within a date range.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so it doesn't matter what your status is, there is basically NEVER ANY award availability for F?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so it doesn't matter what your status is, there is basically NEVER ANY award availability for F?
What I have heard is that Diamonds will have seats released fairly quickly upon request, so while technically no Z availability for anyone, Diamonds get it a day later much of the time. I guess it goes to yield management who considers some blackout factors but generally grant the request (and don't grant other non-Diamond requests).
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good news, thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:24 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good news, thanks.
Why? Are you Diamond?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.