Wiki Posts
Search

No extra baggage for sapphire on CX

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
No extra baggage for sapphire on CX

According to CX own website you get one extra pc luggage as sapphire.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-benefits.html

However the staff showed me an internal guide that shows that sapphire only get 2 pcs for economy essentials, no extra. How can this be? This was the only reason I booked CX and paid extra for essentials.

Also according to Oneworld it says 1 pcs extra luggage. It does says with small text "exemptions may apply"..
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits

Very disappointing.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:13 pm

If I understand you correctly, you have misread the Cathay page. It states:
For flights using the baggage allowance 'piece' system: in international itineraries, up to a maximum of two checked bags is allowed – one additional bag (up to 23kg) is applicable when the ticketed allowance is one bag, or one checked bag (up to 23kg) is applicable when there is no ticketed allowance; in purely domestic itineraries, one checked bag (up to 23kg) is applicable when the regular ticketed allowance has no free allowance.
It seems to me that your fare included 2 pieces already, in which case you are at the maximum. Sapphire status does not add a third piece. The oneworld site has wording with the same meaning.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulC852

It seems to me that your fare included 2 pieces already, in which case you are at the maximum. Sapphire status does not add a third piece. The oneworld site has wording with the same meaning.
Thanks, you're right. I've missed this footnote. I'm used to star alliance where this is no issue.
It's a strange policy thought, because I wouldn't have bought the more expensive essential ticket if I was aware of this.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 12:10 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/baggage.html

There’s a calculator to show you exactly what you are entitled to with each route/fare/status
Old May 2, 2024, 9:40 am

Programs: AA, KF
Originally Posted by JALPak
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/baggage.html

There’s a calculator to show you exactly what you are entitled to with each route/fare/status
Very helpful link.
Non Compos Mentis likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulC852

The oneworld website has this in the footnote. What do they mean by that?

​​​​​​​ To note on special checked baggage privileges,
- Customers travelling in First and Business Class cabins will, in most cases, receive an even greater free checked baggage allowance
​​​​​​If 2 bags is max then first and business will not receive additional baggage right? So sapphire emerald with oneworld has no baggage benefits for business or first class (which normally comes with minimum 2 baggage?
Old May 2, 2024, 1:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nick5000
The oneworld website has this in the footnote. What do they mean by that?

​​​​​​If 2 bags is max then first and business will not receive additional baggage right? So sapphire emerald with oneworld has no baggage benefits for business or first class (which normally comes with minimum 2 baggage?
Sapphire not Emerald. The language is different for Emerald benefit. Also note that these are the minimum additional allowance the alliance agrees to provide. Airlines can choose to provide a more generous allowance than what's stated on the alliance website.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:57 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Originally Posted by JALPak
Sapphire not Emerald. The language is different for Emerald benefit. Also note that these are the minimum additional allowance the alliance agrees to provide. Airlines can choose to provide a more generous allowance than what's stated on the alliance website.
C'mon Cathay, if pax are 'good' enough to earn OWS or OWE they probably deserve an extra pce of baggage on top of what they paid for
Even CX SL don't get an extra piece of baggage on CX flights, where many 2nd-tier members of other airlines do with their own airline!
Old May 3, 2024, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by pf007
C'mon Cathay, if pax are 'good' enough to earn OWS or OWE they probably deserve an extra pce of baggage on top of what they paid for
Even CX SL don't get an extra piece of baggage on CX flights, where many 2nd-tier members of other airlines do with their own airline!
Well off topic a little, so also to be fair for CX, they are one of the only airlines that allows CX SL to access lounge whereas most airlines don't.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:25 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by nivla83
Well off topic a little, so also to be fair for CX, they are one of the only airlines that allows CX SL to access lounge whereas most airlines don't.
because CX silver so punitively hard to achieve most savy fliers can easily make OWS if they diverted their business elsewhere. Similarly CX DM (OWE) is probably one of toughest emerald to earn.

On the topic of bags where pieces system (mostly North America route) I would assume 2 pieces with 32kg each (64kg total) is pretty darn good. I never had issue on baggage allowances because I travel with hand luggage only and when I had to relocate I had family with us so pooled allowance was pretty generous. 1 extra piece so total 32x3kg is available to OWE, rightly so given how expensive freight is.

Many don't realize but to me extra-baggage is the most tangible benefits of all OW benefits. Try sending 32kg by DHL, probably cost more than your air ticket... as to F-class lounge you can get any food/drink for less than 100USD at airport.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd
because CX silver so punitively hard to achieve most savy fliers can easily make OWS if they diverted their business elsewhere. Similarly CX DM (OWE) is probably one of toughest emerald to earn.

On the topic of bags where pieces system (mostly North America route) I would assume 2 pieces with 32kg each (64kg total) is pretty darn good. I never had issue on baggage allowances because I travel with hand luggage only and when I had to relocate I had family with us so pooled allowance was pretty generous. 1 extra piece so total 32x3kg is available to OWE, rightly so given how expensive freight is.

Many don't realize but to me extra-baggage is the most tangible benefits of all OW benefits. Try sending 32kg by DHL, probably cost more than your air ticket... as to F-class lounge you can get any food/drink for less than 100USD at airport.
CX has been on the piece concept systemwide for quite a while. Each piece is 23kg in Y/PE and 32kg in J/F.
Old May 4, 2024, 1:01 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by brunos
CX has been on the piece concept systemwide for quite a while. Each piece is 23kg in Y/PE and 32kg in J/F.
i stand corrected if thats the case. as OWE i never had issue or even thought about it my bad
Old May 5, 2024, 4:55 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
I would like to add that CX is generally not stingy with its baggage allowance. If you're over by a few kgs, airport staff will accept your baggage. If you're blatantly over, both hand or checked luggage, then you will be asked to pay.
Old May 6, 2024, 11:59 pm

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
as far as i know:
For other Oneworld Sapphire while traveling with CX, the maximum of free checked-in luggage allowance is capped at 2 pieces.
For Cathay Gold (equivalent to oneworld sapphire), diamond and other oneworld Emerald while traveling with CX, you always get extra one piece of luggage, meaning if the ticket has already 2 pieces of free check in luggage, you will get extra 1 piece (in total 3).
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:02 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I would like to add that CX is generally not stingy with its baggage allowance. If you're over by a few kgs, airport staff will accept your baggage. If you're blatantly over, both hand or checked luggage, then you will be asked to pay.
I agree, never encountered any problem when i have 2kgs heavier, whereas, Qatar airways always checks whether my hand luggage is heavier than 7kg……. If yes, they will ask me to check in…. Even though it is only 8.1kg.
CarefreeBA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.