Wiki Posts
Search

No extra baggage for sapphire on CX

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2024, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
I understand this is the rule now.
I still don't get it though, why would a sapphire buy economy essential with more luggage then? I know there are some other add ons in this ticket also, but for me the baggage is the most important.

I guess I thought sapphire is more useful than it is.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by nick5000
I still don't get it though, why would a sapphire buy economy essential with more luggage then? I know there are some other add ons in this ticket also, but for me the baggage is the most important.

If you know the rule, then don't buy Y "essential", just buy "light"..
As a sapphire you get additional bag and free seat selection.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
If you know the rule, then don't buy Y "essential", just buy "light"..
As a sapphire you get additional bag and free seat selection.
Yes that's what I'll do next time, and then pay for an extra luggage at check in.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:42 am

Programs: CX Macro polo Silver, AA platinum
Originally Posted by nick5000

Well, it really depends on what you want. If you want flexibility, you have to buy economy flex which allows you change your ticket without penalty, lower cancellation fee, free standby on earlier flights, etc.
Economy essential comes with lower rebooking and cancellation penalties, though.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hahaboy123
Well, it really depends on what you want. If you want flexibility, you have to buy economy flex which allows you change your ticket without penalty, lower cancellation fee, free standby on earlier flights, etc.
Economy essential comes with lower rebooking and cancellation penalties, though.
Indeed, but Nick500 was only considering "Essential".
The difference in change or cancellation fee between light and essential is only HKD200, lower than the fare difference. There is no benefit for a OWS to book essential.
Old May 10, 2024, 4:24 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CC, HH DM, SQ SLTRE, BonvoyTit, UK SL, VS Wings, UA, DL, AA
I think some are missing the point - OW is more generous than *A. *A gives you either 20kg or 1pc extra a gold card holder depending on the system With *A gold equating for OW Emerald, the fact that OW Sapphire even gives you anything is above and beyond other alliances. The benefit was intended to help combat the more restrictive fares which allow only 1 pc or American domestic flights with 0pc luggage. Obviously the stingiest OW airline BA finds a way around the benefit with labelling fares as Hand Baggage only, but in general OW is the more generous with EBG than *A.
The alliance thats best with EBG is Skyteam - where you get 1 extra pc or 10kg/20kg elite/elite plus - so if fare is 0PC you get 1, if fare is 1pc you get 2 and if fare is 2pc you get 3 (but then they are worst with lounge access - overall I would go with OW for benefits)
Old May 10, 2024, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avm2806
I think some are missing the point - OW is more generous than *A. *A gives you either 20kg or 1pc extra a gold card holder depending on the system With *A gold equating for OW Emerald, the fact that OW Sapphire even gives you anything is above and beyond other alliances. The benefit was intended to help combat the more restrictive fares which allow only 1 pc or American domestic flights with 0pc luggage. Obviously the stingiest OW airline BA finds a way around the benefit with labelling fares as Hand Baggage only, but in general OW is the more generous with EBG than *A.
The alliance thats best with EBG is Skyteam - where you get 1 extra pc or 10kg/20kg elite/elite plus - so if fare is 0PC you get 1, if fare is 1pc you get 2 and if fare is 2pc you get 3 (but then they are worst with lounge access - overall I would go with OW for benefits)
Id say sapphire equals star gold..
etkuo likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed OWS would rank like *A Gold.
You get lounge access and other benefits are most similar to *A Gold.
OWE give you additional benefits, in particular First class check-in and lounges. Many OW airlines have retained F, such as BA, CX, QF, JL, AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.