Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Minimum stay requirement to get the lowest pricing on the HKG-TPE route?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Just last month when I was last in Hong Kong, I could easily search GF and see sub-US$200 rt flights on this route for stays of less than 24 hours. Now it seems that I need to stay at least a full day in Taipei in order to get the lowest pricing. Did CX just change the fare rules?
Old Feb 22, 2024, 4:21 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Category 6: Minimum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO EARLIER THAN 2
DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
For the cheapest fares from HKG-TPE, this is what I can find in ITA Matrix; so yes, it seems like so.
lsquare and chater like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 11:12 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver
I just bought two separate one way tickets. It's so stupid they have this rule
lsquare and HarbourGent like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ZSTWHK
I just bought two separate one way tickets. It's so stupid they have this rule
Yes, it's definitely cheaper to buy two one-ways to get a lower price. I was looking at almost US$700 for a rt!
Old Feb 28, 2024, 4:45 pm

Programs: MPC DM
If you travel to TPE quite regularly, it may make sense to buy TPE - HKG return. Even if you don’t know the date of the next trip to TPE, the change fee is quite reasonable (I think around HK$250) even on the lower priced tickets. Note though that you will probably not be able to check in at HKG unless you have your next ticket out of TPE issued.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by chater
If you travel to TPE quite regularly, it may make sense to buy TPE - HKG return. Even if you dont know the date of the next trip to TPE, the change fee is quite reasonable (I think around HK$250) even on the lower priced tickets. Note though that you will probably not be able to check in at HKG unless you have your next ticket out of TPE issued.
The plot thickens... the change fee is different depending on your point of departure. I noticed it when I booked my two one way flights a few weeks ago.

HKG-TPE-HKG

And then TPE-HKG-TPE...

Change fees buying HKD is just incredibly expensive, and the jump from Essential to Flex is just bonkers (HKD900 > HKD0) , whereas the increments in TWD makes more sense and also kind of justifies the price differences.

Buying one way tickets makes all the more sense. Being based in HKG I bought a HKG-TPE and then a TPE-HKG later that evening, both on separate tickets. I noticed I got to TPE a lot earlier than I expected that evening. I asked if I could be put on an earlier flight at check in. Being on a light ticket form TPE-HKG they said it cost me TWD800 (about HKD200) which was justifiable for me. If I bought a HKG-TPE-HKG return 1) it would have costed me way more expensive plus 20 another change fee of HKD1100 at TPE...
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is common among all airlines that the change/cancel fees differ across point of sale/origin.
Frequent travelers between two points tend to buy return tickets from the cheaper origin as chater stated.

What is less usual is that you can buy two one-way ticket for cheaper than a return ticket. Could you elaborate? Or is it just that the change/cancel fee is more attractive in doing so?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: MPC DM
Originally Posted by brunos

What is less usual is that you can buy two one-way ticket for cheaper than a return ticket. Could you elaborate? Or is it just that the change/cancel fee is more attractive in doing so?
A single from HKG to TPE is HK$1,452. A single from TPE to HKG is approximately HK$1,288. The total cost is therefore HK$2,740.

A same day or next day return from HKG to TPE is HK$5,403. A return 2 days later drops the price to HK$2,003.

These appear to be the minimum/maximum stay rules for fare class Q (the cheapest economy ticket) (already pointed out by CarefreeBA, but confirmed by ExpertFlyer):

lsquare and brunos like this.

Last edited by chater; Feb 28, 2024 at 9:33 pm Reason: added information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.