FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minimum stay requirement to get the lowest pricing on the HKG-TPE route?
Old Feb 28, 2024, 7:15 pm
ZSTWHK

Programs: QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by chater
If you travel to TPE quite regularly, it may make sense to buy TPE - HKG return. Even if you don’t know the date of the next trip to TPE, the change fee is quite reasonable (I think around HK$250) even on the lower priced tickets. Note though that you will probably not be able to check in at HKG unless you have your next ticket out of TPE issued.
The plot thickens... the change fee is different depending on your point of departure. I noticed it when I booked my two one way flights a few weeks ago.

HKG-TPE-HKG

And then TPE-HKG-TPE...

Change fees buying HKD is just incredibly expensive, and the jump from Essential to Flex is just bonkers (HKD900 > HKD0) , whereas the increments in TWD makes more sense and also kind of justifies the price differences.

Buying one way tickets makes all the more sense. Being based in HKG I bought a HKG-TPE and then a TPE-HKG later that evening, both on separate tickets. I noticed I got to TPE a lot earlier than I expected that evening. I asked if I could be put on an earlier flight at check in. Being on a light ticket form TPE-HKG they said it cost me TWD800 (about HKD200) which was justifiable for me. If I bought a HKG-TPE-HKG return 1) it would have costed me way more expensive plus 20 another change fee of HKD1100 at TPE...