Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific Lounges in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2023, 1:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by DocS
Was very disappointed in February to find this in the CX lounge LHR T3 having previously loved the Aesop toiletries. Doesn’t seem to be much cheaper here in GBP than Aesop but nowhere near the quality/popularity. Also it’s the same family (wife) of JCB tycoon who was a vocal champion of Brexit so divisive for those of us still frustrated by such a national mess this has created… Personally would never buy this but after first trying Aesop years ago on CX then became a customer at home.
George Bamford mentioned their company's contract with CX on one of his watch podcasts.

Not just lounge toiletries, but J amenity kits and also (just noticed on my way back from AKL) the duvet on long haul J:

Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:45 am

Bamford lotion is Chinese made goo in a plastic bottle with packaging design reminiscent of the seventies. It's distinctly not premium, regardless of the price ticket. Aesop was a much better fit for Cathay.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Bamford lotion is Chinese made goo in a plastic bottle with packaging design reminiscent of the seventies. It's distinctly not premium, regardless of the price ticket. Aesop was a much better fit for Cathay.
At least it doesn't act up my eczema - which is good because I'm going to use CX showers more than any other showers by definition.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
I've fallen in love with Aesop.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:37 am

I love Aesop and dislike bamford goo too
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fakecd
the smoked salmon from buffet tasted foul and by far the worst salmon in my life. i think local Cafe de Coral serves better salmon. the buffet offering inside dining area makes it on par with third world contract lounge. if anything buffet offerIng at outside area (where they have coffee machine) was better.

this is yet another end of era. CX F set a high standard of pre departure experience back in the days. the shine they lost will never come back
Everything at CX now is all about penny pinching. Too many airlines have the same business class seat and way better on board service in the lounges and on board.
TomYoung likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by fakecd
the smoked salmon from buffet tasted foul and by far the worst salmon in my life. i think local Cafe de Coral serves better salmon.
When has cafe de coral offers smoked salmon for breakfast?
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by leosantos
Too many airlines have the same business class seat and way better on board service in the lounges and on board.
Worse, smoked salmon in this case is meant to be part of Wing F food offering.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:56 am

At Wing first class lounge, very disappointed with the food and wine offering. Cost cutting is very obvious.
Bobdh13 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by tboons
At Wing first class lounge, very disappointed with the food and wine offering. Cost cutting is very obvious.
I was there in May (no buffet) and the a la carte food offering was delicious.. Wines were the usual not-upscale offering.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: Cathay Lifetime Diamond
I have been there 3 times in the past month and no sign of any cost cutting that we were aware of and the buffet was back with the same offering and selections as in early 2020
Do you visit the lounge often 'tboons' ?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 11:54 pm

Was at the wing first class pre covid.

Ordered Soup, sweet and sour pork and steamed chicken with sausage in lotus leaf.

the soup was delicious! But the two Chinese mains were disappointing. Sweet and sour pork was cold, I suspect they may have fried it and leave it out for a while, and the sauce was room temp. Could have better one at many of the roadside stall.

the chicken was abit too oil with the lap cheong added, and just very average.

the buffet nothing much, had a seafood dish that was cold.

poor choice of desserts as well. It’s only New York cheesecake at the buffet counter. I recalled previously they had ala carte desserts as well
Old Jul 3, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by oldchinahand
I have been there 3 times in the past month and no sign of any cost cutting that we were aware of and the buffet was back with the same offering and selections as in early 2020
Do you visit the lounge often 'tboons' ?
Agree, I am amazed at the standard Cathay has brought back post Covid. I was expecting some serious cost cutting, but the standard is back to what it’s was pre-2020
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I am headed back to HKG in a couple weeks (OWE)

I was there a couple months ago and used the "F" lounge by gates 1-4, I believe (went thru security, turned left)

I understand the other F lounge re-opened recently (the one down the escalator).

Does that one (forgot the name) still have the sit-down restaurant?

thanks in advance!
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Bamford has been used in Cathay lounges for over a year now. Back in April 2022, they were using it in the LHR lounge and have been at all lounges across the network since.
May have been even longer. My 2021 travels thru LHR was already Bamford.

Also, for those who visited Pier recently, is the tea bar and dessert table is there?
CarefreeBA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.