Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Same-Day Flight Change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific Same-Day Flight Change?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:36 pm

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Cancel Last Sector of R/T flight (JFK-HKG-HAN) and Replace with New Flight?

I was trying to find similar thread with this issue, but I guess this is the closest same day change I would like to try.

For context, I usually book R/T fares as they are cheaper than two start/end cities, but I did have some questions about a proposed plan.

I initially booked a HAN-HKG-JFK R/T sector, with me recently taking the HAN-HKG-JFK flights already. I have the return JFK-HKG-HAN flights in a month, but due to changed plans, I want to take a direct HKG-KUL flight, rather than deal with entry requirements for Vietnam, and then take a separarte HAN-KUL flight.

Can I cancel the HKG-HAN flight after landing at HKG and book a separate HKG-KUL itinerary/flight (maybe on points)? Would I have trouble with this proposal at either check-in (JFK), or could I request for help with CX at HKG, to take the new HKG-KUL flight? Many thank for any insights!

Last edited by OWF_NYC_SIN; Mar 25, 2024 at 8:39 am
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:33 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Your proposed plan still doesn't absolve you to have VN docs (visa/VOA) on departure at JFK.

You might get some love when you get to HKG wrt re-checking.
OWF_NYC_SIN likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by OWF_NYC_SIN
I was trying to find similar thread with this issue, but I guess this is the closest “same day” change I would like to try.

For context, I usually book R/T fares as they are cheaper than two start/end cities, but I did have some questions about a proposed plan.

I initially booked a HAN-HKG-JFK R/T sector, with me recently taking the HAN-HKG-JFK flights already. I have the return JFK-HKG-HAN flights in a month, but due to changed plans, I want to take a direct HKG-KUL flight, rather than deal with entry requirements for Vietnam, and then take a separarte HAN-KUL flight.

Can I “cancel” the HKG-HAN flight after landing at HKG and book a separate HKG-KUL itinerary/flight (maybe on points)? Would I have trouble with this proposal at either check-in (JFK), or could I request for help with CX at HKG, to take the new HKG-KUL flight? Many thank for any insights!
The best course of action here is to call CX and ask them to change the last leg. If the change is permitted, you will have to pay the fare difference + change fee.

Otherwise you can of course book a separate HKG-KUL ticket but as pointed out above will still have to have documents for entry into VN.
OWF_NYC_SIN likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by Freddorick
The best course of action here is to call CX and ask them to change the last leg. If the change is permitted, you will have to pay the fare difference + change fee.

Otherwise you can of course book a separate HKG-KUL ticket but as pointed out above will still have to have documents for entry into VN.
The only way to short check your bag to HKG (and onto KUL) would be to rebook your return leg with a stopover in HKG. You will not be able to rebook your return leg to KUL as CX tickets don't allow open-jaw on the 'home' end from different 'countries' (although the definition of countries isn't exactly country, but Vietnam and Malaysia are definitely not combinable).

As far as the airport team in JFK are concerned, you are checked to HKG and you can through check your bag onto a separate ticket from JFK providing it's not on an airline that doesn't have an interline agreement with CX.

You can simply then void the last leg of your VN and no one will bat an eyelid. You will be levied, as mentioned above, the change fee and any appropriate fare difference.
lsquare and OWF_NYC_SIN like this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
As far as the airport team in JFK are concerned, you are checked to HKG and you can through check your bag onto a separate ticket from JFK providing it's not on an airline that doesn't have an interline agreement with CX.
因為我悲觀,我睇唔到CX JFK會俾你skiplagging嘅好處。 (no there is no direct English translation of this meme https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-hk/由治及興 )
CarefreeBA likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by pochi
A big no for TPE. TPE always refused to free same-day flight change unless it's overbooked or weather condition (post-COVID).
Post-COVID, CX tends to hold up all rights from checkin desk @ TPE. I encountered dozen times that if you asked for SDC, they have to callback, check all the fare-rules and tell you you've to pay. (not mad because I am on business essential).

Last time I did CX451 TPE-HKG sector and there's a delay for more than 1 hour, I asked for if I can switch to 565/473 (both widely open on J, and more than an hour before departure of 473), they called and said I have to pay for changing fee.

disclaimer: CX DM & no connection flight.
I’ve got mixed messages on TPE. Someone swore they were able to SDC on AM redemption, but in the TPE lounge. Even with checked bags.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:25 am

My (late) data point here: last year I travelled from PVG to HKG and the staff at the check-in counter were asking passengers (especially transit passengers) to get on an earlier flight since one inbound flight experienced significant delay.

I think this should also happen to other ports if there would be some delay.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Reply1984
My (late) data point here: last year I travelled from PVG to HKG and the staff at the check-in counter were asking passengers (especially transit passengers) to get on an earlier flight since one inbound flight experienced significant delay.

I think this should also happen to other ports if there would be some delay.
PVG has always been a "special" airport given the frequent and huge delays. That example does not extend to most other origins.
While we sometimes hear of free changing flights in TPE, CX would normally not allow it as it would be very messy given their high number of flights.Of course, in case of overbooking and large flight delays, they do make exceptions, especially if delays and chance to miss connecting flights in HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.