Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Same-Day Flight Change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I think CX has or will have multiple flights per day to destinations like MNL, KUL, and SIN. I'm not a CX elite. However, I am a BAEC Gold/OWE. If I'm not happy with my original connecting flight to those destinations from HKG and they are just regional flights, is there any chance I can do a free same-day flight change?

TIA!
Old Feb 15, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Speaking from pre-Covid experience, they used to be somewhat flexible especially with higher frequency destinations (e.g. TPE, SIN, BKK). If I had checked luggage, they'd first have to track down my bag.

I don't know if they're as lenient these days.
unityofsaints and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Speaking from pre-Covid experience, they used to be somewhat flexible especially with higher frequency destinations (e.g. TPE, SIN, BKK). If I had checked luggage, they'd first have to track down my bag.

I don't know if they're as lenient these days.
A friend of mine said CX did it for him for free when he flew PVG to HKG pre-COVID. That sort of inspired me to create this thread.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 5:14 pm

When booking tickets on Cathay's site, I have found that different fares exist, depending on whether "same day flight change" is allowed. Not sure whether this will be strictly enforced at the counter?
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 7:54 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
2019 Aug I tried to *standby* earlier TPE-HKG flight at TPE counter and was told to pay possible price difference and change fee. I thought I was helping CX to free up unused inventory but no luck. I was CX GO that time. Just a data point.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 7:36 am

Before COVID, it is quite flexiable at PVG. This was taken in 2019. It was free, to me, to change to the flight with 'seat available' at that time.
unityofsaints, lsquare and royng like this.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reply1984
Before COVID, it is quite flexiable at PVG. This was taken in 2019. It was free, to me, to change to the flight with 'seat available' at that time.
Thank you! I can't believe someone even took a picture of this. That's awesome. I guess my friend wasn't making things up!
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:59 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
I did request to get moved to an earlier flight at BKK, just a few weeks ago, which was honored without hesitation. Granted, I am DM and the flight I was on seemed to be booked (nearly) full, with the earlier flight only half-full booked. Even my special meal (fruit plate) did make it, despite the change was requested only 2.5 hours before the new flight.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:27 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
CX introduced "fare family" in Y recently, where "Free same-day earlier flight change" is a benefit of Flex fare, so I'd imagine it may be more difficult to do this in Y in the future. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...omy-fares.html
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
CX introduced "fare family" in Y recently, where "Free same-day earlier flight change" is a benefit of Flex fare, so I'd imagine it may be more difficult to do this in Y in the future. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...omy-fares.html
Damn it!
Old Feb 20, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Pre COVID I was on a HKG-MEL flight in Y+. I was flying as a CX SL on an AS award ticket. When I asked at check-in, I was able to move forward to an earlier flight which had 1 Y+ seat left.
lsquare, fridgy and NYC2SGN like this.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rabbits5
Pre COVID I was on a HKG-MEL flight in Y+. I was flying as a CX SL on an AS award ticket. When I asked at check-in, I was able to move forward to an earlier flight which had 1 Y+ seat left.
I was traveling on an AS award ticket in J and they would not allow me to change to an earlier flight this week . Was flying HKG-SIN (which had award space on all flights during day of departure), but I also don't have any status with CX/OW. If it had been ticketed by CX, they would have changed it without issue.

Also: AS and BA restrict last minute award space on CX. AA doesn't, so this is a great perk if you have AA miles.
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
I was traveling on an AS award ticket in J and they would not allow me to change to an earlier flight this week . Was flying HKG-SIN (which had award space on all flights during day of departure), but I also don't have any status with CX/OW. If it had been ticketed by CX, they would have changed it without issue.

Also: AS and BA restrict last minute award space on CX. AA doesn't, so this is a great perk if you have AA miles.
Is AA pricing dynamic? If not, how many miles?
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:53 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
I've done this at both PVG and MNL.

PVG many times.

MNL I was travelling in Y with mileage upgrade to J. They offered earlier flight and I said I'd take it if they could honour the upgrade, which after checking with control, they said no problem.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD
I have a redemption flight on Asiamiles come April from HKG-NRT in the morning, arriving from SGN the night before. What are the odds of them allowing me a flight change to a later flight (for more sleep)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.