Lot of CX cancellations in December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Reported https://hk.news.yahoo.com/%E5%9C%8B%...092149971.html

Strange that CX canx 7 Dec SYD-HKG but there're two HKG-SYD flights on 6 Dec still selling.
A CX neighbour mentioned that crew scheduling has become a total mess, which is understandable with the new HKSAR rules.

The case you mention could be an example of what CX announced. Many flights will not take pax to HKG. The HKG outbound crew returns on a pax-empty inbound plane carrying only cargo. Then they are deemed uninfected.
percysmith likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:31 am

Programs: Marco Polo
This is getting a little bit out of hand:

2. Separate documentary proof (in English or Chinese) to show that the laboratory or healthcare institution is ISO15189 accredited or is recognised or approved by the relevant authority of the government of the place in which the laboratory or healthcare institution is located. This can be in the form of a copy of 'Certificate of Accreditation', 'Certificate if Compliance', or information printed out from an official government website. Please note that separate documentary proof is required even if the test report from the laboratory or healthcare institution contains an ISO accreditation reference.

With the departure within 5 days I cannot manage the acquire this. Will this be a valid reason to cancel the flight and receive cash refund instead of voucher?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:35 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by brunos
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

Let's face it: it is getting very difficult to fly to/from Hong Kong.
For those having to fly back to HK the situation is nightmarish with the full Q hotel situation.
It has become hell to travel from/to Hong Kong.
Unfortunately Hong Kong is so keen to resume travel with mainland China almost means shutting the door to international community...
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
For those having to fly back to HK the situation is nightmarish with the full Q hotel situation.
It has become hell to travel from/to Hong Kong.
It's hell in HK. And hell to travel to HK.

But.

If it's not hell, then is it heaven? Because one can still leave HK relatively easily.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I was looking to transit via HKG on CX and no wonder flights are cheaper than others. I do not think that I am going to take the risk of the PCR test labs ISO certification and all that sort of thing.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I was looking to transit via HKG on CX and no wonder flights are cheaper than others. I do not think that I am going to take the risk of the PCR test labs ISO certification and all that sort of thing.
Frankly, there is little extra burden/risk caused by the PCR test, to transit via HKG. Most destinations require anyway and this one only requires 72h. The only think you need is that the lab is ISO certified or recognized by the local government, either one work.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...s.htmlNowadays, it is fairly straightforward from large countries which have experience with the procedure.
You will not be tested in HK, so no risk to be stranded there.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 10, 2021 at 12:39 am
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:51 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
But the risk of inward to HKG cancellation is very real. You’re better off transiting a place that has decided to Live With Covid, rather than a place that is determined to be part of the Glorious Holding Operation of its parent.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was just talking above about the added burden of a PCR test.
I would never advise to transit via HKG given the significant risk of flight cancellation on any of your two segments.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 4:50 am

I was just talking above about the added burden of a PCR test.
I would never advise to transit via HKG given the significant risk of flight cancellation on any of your two segments.
Thank you very much. Plus the schedule has 11 hours at HKG. What happens if they cancel the flight? Do they have to book me on another airline to my final destination in the same class or higher?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:08 am

Thank you very much. Plus the schedule has 11 hours at HKG. What happens if they cancel the flight? Do they have to book me on another airline to my final destination in the same class or higher?
they will just refund you. Or ask you to wait another 24 hours at the airport. (And if the transit is more than 24 hrs, seem like HKG will ask you to stay at certain location in the airport with restrictions of movement.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My only word of advice is do not book CX with a transit, even if it is cheaper.
Eleven hours in the transit area is already a very long time. You seem reluctant to state your exact itinerary, but there are few flights to/from HK nowadays. If your second segment get cancelled, you might be stuck for a long time in a very unpleasant section.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 12:44 pm

My only word of advice is do not book CX with a transit, even if it is cheaper.
Eleven hours in the transit area is already a very long time. You seem reluctant to state your exact itinerary, but there are few flights to/from HK nowadays. If your second segment get cancelled, you might be stuck for a long time in a very unpleasant section.
It is YYZ to BKK via HKG
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:47 pm

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
It is YYZ to BKK via HKG
When these flights are going to happen “next week” and the flights aren't canceled (or zero'd out) yet, that itinerary would be a pretty safe bed to do.

For the more midterm (1-6 months), I think that would be a risky travel, since Thailand is very opportunistically opening up for tourists, with a country wide pretty low vaccination level. Combine that with Omicron, and we can expect things to go completely haywire in Thailand, within 1, maybe 2 months.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Cambo
When these flights are going to happen “next week” and the flights aren't canceled (or zero'd out) yet, that itinerary would be a pretty safe bed to do.

For the more midterm (1-6 months), I think that would be a risky travel, since Thailand is very opportunistically opening up for tourists, with a country wide pretty low vaccination level. Combine that with Omicron, and we can expect things to go completely haywire in Thailand, within 1, maybe 2 months.
It is the next two weeks. On the 25th it is abut 1600 for a PE flight from YYZ to BKK on CX. Yes they have an 11 hour transit in HKG. But I am presuming that I would be able to use the CX Lounge because I am a Silver on OneWorld? Not on CX but QR.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 7:34 am

Programs: MPC-DM, Enrich-Plat
It is the next two weeks. On the 25th it is abut 1600 for a PE flight from YYZ to BKK on CX. Yes they have an 11 hour transit in HKG. But I am presuming that I would be able to use the CX Lounge because I am a Silver on OneWorld? Not on CX but QR.
Closely monitor on ExpertFlyer about seat availability in Business Class and you get a good impression, whether a flight is going to be canceled (Canceled flights do first get zero'd out).

OneWorld "Ruby/Non-CX-Silver" does not seem to give Lounge access.

See:

Scroll down to OneWorld

CX-Silver and ticket on CX stock (not necessary flying on CX metal) does give CX lounge access:

See:

Click on Silver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.