Wiki Posts
Search

CX to close KA!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Does anyone know if OU will provide connections to CX flights? Surely that's the big decision maker in what AOC gets deployed?

Unless of course this was just a way of bringing down costs in staffing? I thought OU was built on Air Asia, EU LCC type model, point-to-point and no connection.
As suggested in another thread, UO could remain as a true LCC (no lunge, no FFP benefits,..) but offer checkthrough like Scoot/SQ:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...email-ceo.html
Old Oct 31, 2020, 12:21 am

CX starts to reinstate flights to Hanoi, Fukuoka and Kuala Lumpur as cargo-only passenger flights.

HKG-HAN CX743 (Nov 3)
HKG-FUK CX588 (Nov 5)

HKG-KUL CX725 (Nov 3)
Old Nov 1, 2020, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Interestingly, no HAN flights are loaded for next summer season. It is quite surprising, because i would hope/wish they restart flying there by then!
Old Nov 1, 2020, 4:43 pm

From what i have read, it is not just a matter of CX just picking and choosing which KA flights whey want to continue on their metal.
I am assuming that the KA routes and maybe airport slots have been given back.
So maybe no replacement by CX on some of the more popular KA routes ( eg HKG-CTU and some of the PEK-HKG flights)
Old Nov 2, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by ozflier
From what i have read, it is not just a matter of CX just picking and choosing which KA flights whey want to continue on their metal.
At the moment the HK CAA has a choice of 3 'airlines' it can select for any given route within the parameters of the bilateral agreements with third parties as they stand:

1. A CX Group airline, i.e. CX or UO, which the government has an investment stake in
2. HK Airlines, which has a few troubles of its own
3. Greater Bay Airlines, a paper airline.

On paper there seems to be little choice.

However could there be another alternative, a mainland airline submitting an application? There is precedent. CA gained rights and flew HKG-LHR in 1990s pre-handover HK. Even more fun if Jetstar makes another attemp.

Personally I would expect a forward looking version of 'Occam's Razor'
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:45 am

All depends on how much China will be pushing for the Greater Bay Airlines... my guess is a lot, they probably want to let them take over the mainland routes from Cathay as China wasn't too happy with Swire last year.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:29 am

Thank you for that.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CX HK
All depends on how much China will be pushing for the Greater Bay Airlines... my guess is a lot, they probably want to let them take over the mainland routes from Cathay as China wasn't too happy with Swire last year.
While you have a point about Swire, it doesn’t do any good to HKG being an aviation hub in the region. Giving routes to Great Bay Airlines can’t bring any transit pax to the airport resulting in huge economical loss indeed.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
At the moment the HK CAA has a choice of 3 'airlines' it can select for any given route within the parameters of the bilateral agreements with third parties as they stand:

1. A CX Group airline, i.e. CX or UO, which the government has an investment stake in
2. HK Airlines, which has a few troubles of its own
3. Greater Bay Airlines, a paper airline.

On paper there seems to be little choice.

However could there be another alternative, a mainland airline submitting an application? There is precedent. CA gained rights and flew HKG-LHR in 1990s pre-handover HK. Even more fun if Jetstar makes another attemp.

Personally I would expect a forward looking version of 'Occam's Razor'
How does foreign airlines factor into this?
To start a new service to HKG, don't they need to go through HK CAD as well?
Old Nov 5, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by CS300
How does foreign airlines factor into this?To start a new service to HKG, don't they need to go through HK CAD as well?
Yes there are no exemptions, the point is:

1. CA have already done this (though it could have been an unique UK/CN thing before the handover)
2. Jetstar has this desire to keep on applying for an HK licence without having yet read Einstein's definition of insanity
djsflynn likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:28 am

KA license have been surrendered.

https://www.gld.gov.hk/egazette/pdf/...2024486825.pdf
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Confirmed
From oneworld alliance' perspective, a lot of mainland China destinations are no longer served, when KA stopped operating. CX is known to be using "the one and only carrier to cover China market inside the alliance" to deny HU's oneworld application. Now that CX has left a hole, would CZ/some other mainland airline joining oneworld without CX's objection?
Old Nov 30, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by SKRan
From oneworld alliance' perspective, a lot of mainland China destinations are no longer served, when KA stopped operating. CX is known to be using "the one and only carrier to cover China market inside the alliance" to deny HU's oneworld application. Now that CX has left a hole, would CZ/some other mainland airline joining oneworld without CX's objection?
No one knows for now, especially the traffic is limited at the moment

It is not a problem, but will be in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.