Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Confirmation Letter of Flight Delay/Cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Hi all! I am posting this here because I used my Asia Miles to booked an award ticket with Japan Airlines. Last Feb 13, I flew a domestic flight from HND to OKJ (JAL 231). But the flight returned to HND because the plane cannot land due to zero visibility in OKJ area. Upon returning to HND, I was given the option to fly at a later time/date or take the shinkansen. I opted for the shinkansen.

Since my arrival was significantly delayed, I can file a request for Trip Delay reimbursement with my insurance. I initially contacted Japan Airlines and requested for the Official Confirmation Letter of Delay from them. They informed me that since the ticket is booked with Cathay, they will not be able to give me one.

So I contacted Cathay, however, since it is not a Cathay flight (not a codeshare too) they will not be able to give me one. I also forwarded to them what Japan Airlines told me, but they did not reply to me anymore.

Can someone please advise me who should I pursue this request with?

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hnandito
Hi all! I am posting this here because I used my Asia Miles to booked an award ticket with Japan Airlines. Last Feb 13, I flew a domestic flight from HND to OKJ (JAL 231). But the flight returned to HND because the plane cannot land due to zero visibility in OKJ area. Upon returning to HND, I was given the option to fly at a later time/date or take the shinkansen. I opted for the shinkansen.

Since my arrival was significantly delayed, I can file a request for Trip Delay reimbursement with my insurance. I initially contacted Japan Airlines and requested for the Official Confirmation Letter of Delay from them. They informed me that since the ticket is booked with Cathay, they will not be able to give me one.

So I contacted Cathay, however, since it is not a Cathay flight (not a codeshare too) they will not be able to give me one. I also forwarded to them what Japan Airlines told me, but they did not reply to me anymore.

Can someone please advise me who should I pursue this request with?

Thank you in advance!
JL as the operating carrier would know of and thus be able to provide a certification.

However, most travel insurance carriers check this data through their own sources and no longer require an "official" letter as they did in the past. Are you certain that your carrier will require one? Have you been asked for it?

If so, you will have to push JL to issue it.

In the future, you can always screenshot the flight status page on the operating carrier's website, but that has to be done relatively immediately.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you, Often1 . I do have a screenshot of the flight status page, I will try to submit this and hopefully my carrier will accept it. However, I live here in the Philippines and companies here are by the book when filing for claims like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Often1
However, most travel insurance carriers check this data through their own sources and no longer require an "official" letter as they did in the past. Are you certain that your carrier will require one? Have you been asked for it?
I know Taiwanese insurance companies are only able to check CI and BR, and not even all of them can. I think not all insurance companies around the world are as capable.

Originally Posted by hnandito
Thank you, Often1 . I do have a screenshot of the flight status page, I will try to submit this and hopefully my carrier will accept it. However, I live here in the Philippines and companies here are by the book when filing for claims like this.
Definitely push JL. It is JL who needs to give this to you, not CX. Next time, I would ask for one at the airport.
percysmith and hnandito like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Print screen from the official JAL website for all delayed / cancelled flights :

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/dom/rece...rtificate.html

And for your specific flight: https://fltinfo.5971.jal.co.jp/rsv/I...valAirport=OKJ

引き返し

岡山空港 視界不良のため東京羽田空港に引き返しとなりました。東京羽田空港への到着時刻は到着状況欄をご覧ください 。当該便は、東京羽田空港で運航打ち切りとなりました。

Most public transportation companies in Japan have such system for issuing delay certificates.
ernestnywang and hnandito like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
I know Taiwanese insurance companies are only able to check CI and BR, and not even all of them can. I think not all insurance companies around the world are as capable.

Definitely push JL. It is JL who needs to give this to you, not CX. Next time, I would ask for one at the airport.
I will take note of this, I just wanted to get to my destination then. Thanks!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88
Print screen from the official JAL website for all delayed / cancelled flights :

https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/ja/dom/rece...rtificate.html

And for your specific flight: https://fltinfo.5971.jal.co.jp/rsv/I...valAirport=OKJ

引き返し

岡山空港 視界不良のため東京羽田空港に引き返しとなりました。東京羽田空港への到着時刻は到着状況欄をご覧ください 。当該便は、東京羽田空港で運航打ち切りとなりました。

Most public transportation companies in Japan have such system for issuing delay certificates.
Thank you, this will come in handy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.