Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Just landed in HKG from PEK with CX.
Most on plane kept their masks on.
No special screening in HKG, but a slightly more controlled walk past the temperature sensors at PEK.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
wonder if they will allow changes / refunds for tickets
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by ermen
wonder if they will allow changes / refunds for tickets
In light of the evolving situation in Wuhan, Cathay Dragon is temporarily suspending flights to and from Wuhan effective 24 January 2020 until 29 February 2020.

We are monitoring the situation closely and will continue to coordinate with the health authorities in Hong Kong and in all the ports to which we operate flights. At present, flights to other Mainland China ports are operating as normal.

Our customer services team will be assisting affected passengers to refund their bookings or postpone their travel plans.

Passengers travelling to/from Wuhan

Rebooking, rerouting and refund charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 21 January 2020 for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed bookings arriving to or departing from Wuhan (WUH) between 21 January 2020 and 31 March 2020. Please view our Special ticketing guidelines for further details.

Passengers travelling to/from other Mainland China ports

Rebooking, rerouting and refund charges will be waived for all tickets issued worldwide (irrespective of fare type) on/before 24 January 2020 for travel with Cathay Pacific/Cathay Dragon confirmed bookings arriving to or departing from Mainland China between 24 January 2020 and 29 February 2020. Please view our Special ticketing guidelines for further details.

To ensure you receive the latest flight status updates via SMS or email, please update your contact details in Manage Booking.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:39 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
My flight's on 3/2/2020 to HKG... Wish I could've just changed it, now I get to wait and see...
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by cyster2007
In light of the evolving situation in Wuhan, Cathay Dragon is temporarily suspending flights to and from Wuhan effective 24 January 2020 until 29 February 2020.
yeah i was originally asking for flights to/from HKG and whether the fees would be waived given HKG has now declared an "emergency" (whatever it is)
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
yeah i was originally asking for flights to/from HKG and whether the fees would be waived given HKG has now declared an "emergency" (whatever it is)
Hong Kong is taking "emergency" measures to tackle the 2019-CoV.That includes more careful checking of travelers from China (especially Wuhan region), cancellationof public events where infection could spread, closing of schools and university, ...
But there are only 8 confirmed cases (probably many more unconfirmed) and 0 death so far. No reason to cancel flights to/from HKG. I landed in HKG this afternoon. The airport was very quiet with about three fourth of pax wearing masks. But very few people wear masks in my little village.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:22 am

Anyone’s guess about Cathay Pacific extending the penalty-free cancellation for all ports in China to the end of March? We are scheduled to fly out on March 28 for a 5 week trip through mainland China with a 5 day stop in HK, and at this point, we are just about ready to cancel. We’re in our 60s and 70s and don’t feel the risk is worth it.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by progol
Anyone’s guess about Cathay Pacific extending the penalty-free cancellation for all ports in China to the end of March? We are scheduled to fly out on March 28 for a 5 week trip through mainland China with a 5 day stop in HK, and at this point, we are just about ready to cancel. We’re in our 60s and 70s and don’t feel the risk is worth it.
I would wait and see. It's still 2 months out and I'm guessing Cathay will extend it if it doesn't get controlled. It shouldn't matter much if you cancel 2 months or 2 weeks out, so just cancel non-air items as their cancellation deadlines approach and then cancel Cathay if/when they extend the waiver.
percysmith, progol and Cat88L3 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I would wait and see. It's still 2 months out and I'm guessing Cathay will extend it if it doesn't get controlled. It shouldn't matter much if you cancel 2 months or 2 weeks out, so just cancel non-air items as their cancellation deadlines approach and then cancel Cathay if/when they extend the waiver.
Thanks so much. That’s my feeling, too. I’ll wait to see what happens.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: BA (Silver)
Flight to HKG + Ferry to ShenZhen

My first post. :-)

Just called Cathay to cancel my flight to HKG as I was scheduled to take the ferry into ShenZhen. Unfortunately, HKG is not part of the refund cities. Mentioned that BA is accepting refund into HKG. The answer was still "no". Anyone has any luck? Appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by Johncchai
My first post. :-)

Just called Cathay to cancel my flight to HKG as I was scheduled to take the ferry into ShenZhen. Unfortunately, HKG is not part of the refund cities. Mentioned that BA is accepting refund into HKG. The answer was still "no". Anyone has any luck? Appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.
JAL.and other customer oriented airlines are waiving hk... but for CX hk is home.port so thats like giving free get out of jail card for all customers.

is your ferry a CX codeshare? (if such thing)... you could argue that way.
percysmith and JordanWalker like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by progol
CX has just extended the cancellation window to March 31 and they will be canceling many mainland flights as per the SAR government’s request.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: BA (Silver)
Flight into HKG +ferry to Shenzhen

Originally Posted by fakecd
JAL.and other customer oriented airlines are waiving hk... but for CX hk is home.port so thats like giving free get out of jail card for all customers.

is your ferry a CX codeshare? (if such thing)... you could argue that way.
I understand completely for transit passengers to other parts of the world. I had no other options when traveling to Shenzhen via ferry; HKG is the last stop. I always purchase my ferry ticket when I landed in HKG, didn't know the ferry can be airline coded.

Well, too bad as my family are also oneworld passengers.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Central90210
CX has just extended the cancellation window to March 31 and they will be canceling many mainland flights as per the SAR government’s request.
CX/KA just announced they would cancel 50% or more Mainland Chinese flights for the remainder of Q1. https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...and-china.html
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As of the update on 2020 Jan 28, Hong Kong is still not counted as an eligible fare to change, correct? I have a layover for 5 days in Hong Kong on my way to Southeast Asia in early March, and would consider changing it to just a standard stopover if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.