Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm really worried if I'm going to be forced into quarantine when I try to get back to the US. I left HK yesterday and am currently in Canada. I know they can't bar US citizens from entering their own country, but I'm reading about . I hope when the US government said China, it means Mainland and not including HK and Macau. Furthermore, HK doesn't even stamp passports so is there any way for CBP to know I was even in HK? I'm looking for something definitive before I hop on that US bound flight next week.
From the speech by secretary of HHS, the mandatory 14 day quarantine is for "any U.S. citizen returning to the U.S. who has been in Hubei Province in the previous 14 days" while "any U.S. citizen returning to the U.S. who has been in the rest of mainland China within the previous 14 days will undergo proactive entry health screening at a select number of ports of entry and up to 14 days of monitored self-quarantine".

It looks like the measures does not include Hong Kong at least for now since he did specially mention mainland China.
https://www.hhs.gov/about/leadership...ronavirus.html
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:03 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by rky2000
I have an incoming flight from JFK-HKG-KTM, and CX is now wavier passenger fee, I wonder if anyone try ask them to rebook other airline like Qatar. I dunno how bad is transiting in hong kong now.
Are they waiving transit?

(literal reading is not. I asked them to confirm on Twitter)

Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by rky2000
I have an incoming flight from JFK-HKG-KTM, and CX is now wavier passenger fee, I wonder if anyone try ask them to rebook other airline like Qatar. I dunno how bad is transiting in hong kong now.
dun think they will rebook other airlines unless their own flights are cancelled.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:24 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Kacee
The waiver now covers anyone transiting HKG:
They seem to have deleted the transiting HK wording.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:29 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by lsquare
My apologies for asking this, but how do you know for sure? To be clear, I haven't been to the Mainland in the past 14-21 days.
I just checked the official statement by the White House, and found the following:

The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the People’s Republic of China, excluding the Special Autonomous Regions of Hong Kong and Macau (bolding mine), during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
So it seems that those residing in HK or Macau can still enter the US.
fallinasleep and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I just checked the official statement by the White House, and found the following:

So it seems that those residing in HK or Macau can still enter the US.
YES!!!
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
They seem to have deleted the transiting HK wording.
yeah no trace of the word transiting anymore,

im going from jfk - Hkg - tpe in two weeks. Holding out for a travel waiver until the last minute. Doesn’t look to promising. If they add transiting that would be allowing all cx flights to be changed.

anyone have any suggestions? Booked via amextravel, no insurance, e class
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:21 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
What are the odds JFK-YVR gets hosed in this? I'm booked on CX for that sector in March (I wanted to bag F one last time before the route goes away).
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Vietnam this afternoon banned flights from China, HKG, MFM and Taiwan until May 1.
wow
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hard to follow the logic with cancelling Taiwan. The virus in Taiwan is no more severe than in Thailand or Australia.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by percysmith
If you go on Twitter they're still saying very uniformly no to HKG transit http://www.twitter.com/cathaypacific/with_replies/ . Seems like some HKG transit pax are more equal than others.
Indeed, I saw that. But this is on my Manage my Booking screen right now.
e2a: It was on when they were saying HKG transits were not covered.

Last edited by FiveMileFinal; Feb 1, 2020 at 3:16 am
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:28 am

I've got a Reschedule option too in Manage My Booking - I'm transiting HKG late Feb - however click on the red Reschedule button it comes up with an error

Nonetheless I dont want to reschedule as I wont be able to take a vacation before June, so I want to cancel - doesnt seem to be an option, at least not yet.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:45 am

Rebooking and rerouting waiver in place now since 16.00 HK time for flights arriving to, departing from or transit through Hong Kong in February.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...Hong-Kong.html
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by iletired
Statement A: The newly rebooked sector must observe and conform to the conditions of the respective fare rule, e.g. blackout dates, flight application, weekend/weekday travel, stopover charges and applicable seasonality by collecting additional/refunding difference (if any) as appropriate.
Min/Max stay is not mentioned here. Of course, it's up to CX to interpret.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by patrickw
Rebooking and rerouting waiver in place now since 16.00 HK time for flights arriving to, departing from or transit through Hong Kong in February.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...Hong-Kong.html
Yes, but important to note that refund waiver is NOT included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.