Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge in SEA-TAC? Any plans?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Lounge in SEA-TAC? Any plans?

I've been flying CX or AA to HK approx 5-6x a year, and always fly out of LAX- Which is my favorite airport for two reasons. 1) easy to connect from Terminal 4 to TBIT when flying AA, and 2) the lounges. I have a few options with the OW Lounge or the AA Flagship (I prefer the AA Flagship).

Anyway, I booked a trip for later in the spring, for personal travel using AA miles, and only option to HK was via SEA. I flew from SEA once, a few years ago when went via EVA, and remember that had a decent lounge. I have been reading horror stories about the lounge CX uses, "the club" which is also a PP lounge in SEA. I have approx a 3 hour layover, that's not terrible, but I would obviously love to fly via LAX if something opens up.

The positive- the flight from SEA to HK is on the A350 vs the 777, which I prefer. Although, since always flying out of LAX, I never flew the A350 long haul, just a few times regionally.

Does CX have any plans to use an alternative lounge in SEA? Or are they contempt on using this subpar lounge for their Biz and FFs?

Just curious. Thx
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: CX Diamond (DM)
There's a new one under construction, but I would keep expectations low.

I wonder how this route is doing in general and whether it'll be cancelled before long?
get0ffdanutzz likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by cmiller11101
There's a new one under construction, but I would keep expectations low.

I wonder how this route is doing in general and whether it'll be cancelled before long?
I can't see building out a lounge comparable to WIng/Pier for a single daily flight.
I wonder what the revenue load on SEA HKG is like for CX

DL operated this rout for a few years, they need to compete in Y price to fill the back. They were also not competitive with the BR J offering via TPE. J had many non-rev and op-ups.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Does CX even have any lounges on routes that only have 1 flight per day?

YVR is down to 1-2 flight per day with the new schedule, but the lounge was built prior to the reduction.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Does CX even have any lounges on routes that only have 1 flight per day?
Outside HKG, CX operates its branded lounges in the following airports:

BKK, CDG, HND, KHH, KUL, LHR, MEL, MNL, NRT, PEK, PEN, PVG, SFO, SIN, TPE, YVR

As of now, only CDG has 1 flight. All other airports having CX lounges have at least 2 daily flights (PEN is served by KA; UO flights are excluded). So unless sometime in the past there were 2 daily CDG flight, CDG would be the only exception.

Also - based on this trend, CX's plan for lounges are directly correlated with the number of daily flights. So it is safe to say that unless SEA get the second daily flight (which is highly unlikely), no CX lounge for SEA.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by garykung

As of now, only CDG has 1 flight. All other airports having CX lounges have at least 2 daily flights (PEN is served by KA; UO flights are excluded). So unless sometime in the past there were 2 daily CDG flight, CDG would be the only exception.
Thanks. CDG used to be operated by both 777+350 last year, I'm guessing that's been cut down too.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:40 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by garykung
So unless sometime in the past there were 2 daily CDG flight, CDG would be the only exception.
CDG used to be two (CX260/CX278)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
was curious if maybe someday BA would want to share their lounge with CX vs. having it contracted out to BR.?
BR25 leaves around same time as CX857

And BA is already the BR lounge https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=SEA ?

Possibly capacity issues?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Thanks. CDG used to be operated by both 777+350 last year, I'm guessing that's been cut down too.
Originally Posted by percysmith
CDG used to be two (CX260/CX278)
In other word, no exception. 2 daily flights minimum to have a CX branded lounge.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by percysmith
BR25 leaves around same time as CX857

And BA is already the BR lounge https://www.staralliance.com/en/airp...irportCode=SEA ?

Possibly capacity issues?

Right--- Was hoping since they are both OW, it makes best business sense. Obviously, not sure if it would make financial sense, but seems logical that BA and CX would want to partner and provide OW FF's a consistent lounge experience. Who knows when the BR contract ends, I know wishful thinking but, honestly the lounge situation will prevent me from choosing to depart from SEA in the future. Will continue to use LAX as 1st priority, and then SFO as 2nd.

Last edited by get0ffdanutzz; Jan 21, 2020 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
Right--- Was hoping since they are both OW, it makes best business sense. Obviously, not sure if it would make financial sense, but seems logical that BA and CX would want to partner and provide OW FF's a consistent lounge experience. Who knows when the BR contracts, I know wishful thinking but, honestly the lounge situation will prevent me from choosing to depart from SEA in the future. Will continue to use LAX as 1st priority, and then SFO as 2nd.
It's odd that BA doesn't list their lounge as open for oneworld purposes near the BR25/CX857 departure times https://www.oneworld.com/airport-lounges?location=SEA .

Of course if they did, they'd be effectively declaring themselves the CX lounge as elites and J pax will try to get in via oneworld access rules.

But how can they avoid being a oneworld lounge during the BR departure time? Install a removable oneworld sign at the door that they will remove during the BR departure time and replace the British Airways Club sign with "BA lounge" (then explain BA has nothing to do with British Airways)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
BA is functioning as a contract lounge for BR during those hours; they aren’t going to be admitting random OW pax. In fact it’s even a BR staffer up front. It’s also not exactly an amazing lounge (I was there last month for a BR 25 J flight). They refurbished the furniture and they have some snacks but it’s not light years better than the Club at SEA for the S Gates. There is a shower (ONE shower) but it’s seen better days (functional but aging).

If a really NICE lounge is super important like it appears to be for OP I wouldn’t call the BA lounge “nice”. CX/BA at SFO or OW/FL at LAX blow away ANYTHING at SEA (maybe AMEX lounge at SEA comes closest, but even that isn’t the best AMEX lounge in the system). Frankly the JL lounge at SFO is ~= BA lounge at SEA (except for the shower). The Club at SEA isn’t a LOT worse- it gets super crowded though because it’s used by LH/EK/NH/OZ/FI/SQ as a contract lounge, and some of them have overlapping departures.

I’m based out of SEA and I guess I am used to the shabby lounge situation- for a J flight I’d rather spend the extra time connecting at home instead of in a nice lounge in LAX/SFO. (F is different because SEA has not much longhaul F save KE and EK.)

Anyways... maybe once the OW shared lounge concept gets going they might do it in SEA and share between BA/JL/CX, but it’s probably not a high priority compared to other places. There is also no guarantee JL and CX are in this for the long term, TYO has JL/NH/DL and DL gave up on SEA-HKG, CX might too. Much easier to go with a contract option until they know they are going to fly the route long term.
get0ffdanutzz likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 20, 2020 at 7:04 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:00 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Potentially SEA might be one of the "oneworld" joint lounge locations. But aside from BA and CX, are there any other oneworld airlines that fly out of SEA? And maybe the CX flight is at risk since it's a relatively new flight (I don't know what the loads are like on this flight)?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
But aside from BA and CX, are there any other oneworld airlines that fly out of SEA?
AA
Not international departures I think

But can oneworld elites on AA domestic flights access SEA South Satellite to visit the lounge?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC SEA has a (smallish but good) Centurion lounge for (unbranded) AmEx Plat and Centurion charge cards, although I think it's near some of the DL gates, which probably wouldn't be convenient for CX/BA/AA departures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.