Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I watched the press conference replay. Sy said the management showed her 3 screen captures and asked her were those from her FB account. Those 3 screen captures show post-it notes on a flight where 1) She wish a co-worker on the same flight Happy Birthday. 2) and 3) were her feeling and many others feeling, "we are worried, not knowing what the next 3 days would bring." She affirmed such and the next thing she was told she would be terminated immediately. While her FB account has other posts supporting the protests, the screen captures have not much to do with it - only being used to verify those were from her FB account. Also the FB pictures were taken in July, long before China put pressure on CX. Her FB has privacy setting protection but it would not help if any of the "friends" is not really a friend...

As of now, this has become international media's headline news, like all the happenings from Hong Kong these days.

https://www.newsweek.com/hong-kong-p...ession-1455852

Last edited by Happy; Aug 23, 2019 at 6:06 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
I watched the press conference replay. Sy said the management showed her 3 screen captures and asked her were those from her FB account. Those 3 screen captures show post-it notes on a flight where 1) She wish a co-worker on the same flight Happy Birthday. 2) and 3) were her feeling and many others feeling, "we are worried, not knowing what the next 3 days would bring." She affirmed such and the next thing she was told she would be terminated immediately. While her FB account has other posts supporting the protests, the screen captures have not much to do with it - only being used to verify those were from her FB account. Also the FB pictures were taken in July, long before China put pressure on CX. Her FB has privacy setting protection but it would not help if any of the "friends" is not really a friend...

As of now, this has become international media's headline news, like all the happenings from Hong Kong these days.

I have used Cathay from time to time, mainly for the New York route. i will do my best to avoid using them again.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I have relatives working for Cathay and she tells me everyone is really fearing for their jobs and "white terror" is absolutely real within the organization. People's social media are being monitored aggressively, and many people, with anything related of the protests found in their social media, will be called into their supervisor's office or HRs to "explain" themselves. She said she is never into politics so she never posted anything on the protests, but she does get share posts from her friends showing up in her social media, and just for that she already had to "explain" to her supervisor once and went to the HR office to "explain" herself again.

Sorry Cathay, despite all the emails and goodwills you have shown me in the past year, which was winning me back, you have now successfully be on my DNF list, next to North Korean and Afghanistan airlines.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Originally Posted by triplefives
I was under the impression that the cabin installation occurs before the final delivery of the aircraft. In the case of the A350, that would have been in Toulouse as the Tianjin final assembly only deals with A320s and A330s.
I'm not worry about delivery, I'm worry about maintenance and upkeep, many Cathay airplanes are flown into China for maintenance and upkeep now.
Happy and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I have relatives working for Cathay and she tells me everyone is really fearing for their jobs and "white terror" is absolutely real within the organization. People's social media are being monitored aggressively, and many people, with anything related of the protests found in their social media, will be called into their supervisor's office or HRs to "explain" themselves. She said she is never into politics so she never posted anything on the protests, but she does get share posts from her friends showing up in her social media, and just for that she already had to "explain" to her supervisor once and went to the HR office to "explain" herself again.

Sorry Cathay, despite all the emails and goodwills you have shown me in the past year, which was winning me back, you have now successfully be on my DNF list, next to North Korean and Afghanistan airlines.
Vote with your wallet. I booked my next trip on Thai today. CX is dead. (unless it will now mean China Express)

Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

I've heard from others who say they have a policy of not "friending" anybody who is a colleague. Exactly for this reason (or similar)
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latest have been, as long as your FB account is identified and contained posts supporting the protest, you are fired.

The setting you mention may not be enough to protect your privacy if you are found on the Social Media.

On the Mainland's WeChat or Weibo, there are screen captures of conversations from a member of the CX cabin crew who went about FB to search for her coworkers' names and reported those names to CX management. In the conversation captured, this person who claimed she was CX cabin crew has reported well over 20 her coworkers to the authority. She bragged about she did not even need to be "friend". So...
Old Aug 30, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not worry about delivery, I'm worry about maintenance and upkeep, many Cathay airplanes are flown into China for maintenance and upkeep now.
Agree. With such a thuggish regime, as they like to say inside China - There is no maximum "low" level, just the degree of being "low ". For those who dont understand Chinese, the word "low" here means the bottom line of one's moral standard. You then get the meaning.

A regime that can kill tens of thousands of its own people during its ruling so it can fortify its grip, as well as what it has been doing to the ethnic groups in the Northwest regions, that is ongoing - it would not surprised me a bit that there could be some "maintenance errors" that causes some "accidents" ... Easy to do and fully cover up.

Have anyone ever heard of the causes that caused a horrible accident on the highspeed train in 2011 that had killed more than 40 and injured more than 200?
The exact number of fatality and casualty are never reported, only an estimate. The complete compensation (multiple items added together) to the family of those killed, was 92K RMB per person.

The most horrifying thing was, the bodies of the 4 cars that fell off, were bulldozed into pieces THE NEXT DAY after the accident, and being buried on the same spot where the authority ordered to dig a big trench to bury everything, cars and bodies, all together. Then the government from top to bottom denied the horrific handling... as one could expect from this regime...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenzhou_train_collision

Like you, CX is now on our DNF list.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:51 am

I don't see that as realistic. They're flown to HAECO, which is still a HK company and owned by Swire. Add in to that Airbus, Boeing and their respective governments would be none too pleased.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.