Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
We have no information on CX internal discussions for the past few weeks.
The CEO might have voiced opinions that did not sit well with some.

CX/KA is, by far, the dominant airline at HKIA. CX CEO must have been closely involved in the policy adopted by HKIA management and the decision not to call police to evacuate the (illegal) protest than closed the airport for days. The images of Chinese tourists physically prevented from reaching check-in, being yelled at, shoved, and a couple of Chinese men being beaten, has gone around the world and particularly in China. Maybe that was the trigger.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: CX Gold
Curious, does CX have a board sit in HKIA?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by christep
I have seen nothing to indicate that the pilot make the announcement on July 26 has been fired. He very carefully didn't state a political point. He advised all passengers about the protests and asked all HKers (in Cantonese) to "take care and stay strong".

One was fired for being accused of rioting (what happened to innocent until proved guilty?) and the other for posting a pic in LIHKG (a Reddit-like forum) of a message on a screen in the cockpit. Details (including the picture) here: https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/1...ssure-beijing/
i thought the pilot has a case of wrongful dismissal against CX, if acquitted or charges not pressed.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 3:30 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by boybi
Curious, does CX have a board sit in HKIA?
No https://www.hongkongairport.com/iwov..._The-Board.pdf
boybi likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
I doubt that this is relevant..
In crisis time, management has to decide on options in concertation with major parties involved.
HKIA board might have been consulted by setting a conference call with reachable members, but people on the ground are best placed to make a decision and CX/KA have a loud voice on such topic.even if they are not on HKIA xec comittee or board. They are the major customer of HKIA.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by tfung
Most of the issues with CX (not the political ones), was the work of Slosar... If anyone was to go, should have been him first....
he is on the board of Air China. If he resigned, embarrassing questions about their vetting process that Air China can do without in current political climate
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by brunos
The images of Chinese tourists physically prevented from reaching check-in, being yelled at, shoved, and a couple of Chinese men being beaten, has gone around the world and particularly in China. Maybe that was the trigger.
Pls do not make this racial or portrait the protestors block Chinese tourists. They disrupted everyone. Plenty of videos and images online, if you interested to look

https://youtu.be/bm95Xkkq-uE
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
I have seen nothing to indicate that the pilot make the announcement on July 26 has been fired. He very carefully didn't state a political point. He advised all passengers about the protests and asked all HKers (in Cantonese) to "take care and stay strong".

One was fired for being accused of rioting (what happened to innocent until proved guilty?) and the other for posting a pic in LIHKG (a Reddit-like forum) of a message on a screen in the cockpit. Details (including the picture) here: https://www.hongkongfp.com/2019/08/1...ssure-beijing/
A company threshold to fire an employee isn't the same as a court of law. They can fire employees before they are proven guilty in a court of law. Of course, the pilot probably can file a grievance with the union to contest it.
Chromie25 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Cathay's initial response was correct - they suspended the pilot from flying duties, which is reasonable given that he is under the stress of a pending court case and may not, therefore, perform at the normal level. No problem with that,

It was only later when the Communist Party intervened that the company was told in no uncertain terms that some scapegoats were needed.

If I were Rupert Hogg, I would have made sure that the pilots who were fired on the instructions of the Communist Party were given very decent termination payments, and solid references for their future emplyment.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 6:58 am

Cathay's initial response was correct - they suspended the pilot from flying duties, which is reasonable given that he is under the stress of a pending court case and may not, therefore, perform at the normal level. No problem with that,

It was only later when the Communist Party intervened that the company was told in no uncertain terms that some scapegoats were needed.

If I were Rupert Hogg, I would have made sure that the pilots who were fired on the instructions of the Communist Party were given very decent termination payments, and solid references for their future emplyment.
The decision to fire the pilot may very well be a case of political pressure which IMHO makes the original decision all the more wrong to begin with. As CEO of an airline where the mainland is probably your biggest market, he didn't read the tea leaves correctly. He should have stay ahead of the problem before allowing it to get bigger.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

And as a decent person he should have done the right thing.

Which, initially, he did.

But, sadly, money overrides basic decency these days.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KUL1971
Pls do not make this racial or portrait the protestors block Chinese tourists. They disrupted everyone. Plenty of videos and images online, if you interested to look

https://youtu.be/bm95Xkkq-uE
You have to read my post in light of the Chinese pressure exerted on CX as discussed in this thread. Hence, I was focusing on what roused Chinese public opinion.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 7:16 am

And as a decent person he should have done the right thing.

Which, initially, he did.

But, sadly, money overrides basic decency these days.
I will refrain from commenting on what is decency and what isn't since this is travel forum and not a philosophical one.

I'll just say as CEO of a public company his first and foremost responsibility is to his shareholders. Whether you agree with it or not, it is just how it works.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite

He should've fired the two employees who leaked personal information and suspended the pilot who was charged before the CAAC directive -- he didn't, and thus he's gone now.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
He should've fired the two employees who leaked personal information and suspended the pilot who was charged before the CAAC directive -- he didn't, and thus he's gone now.
Eh? The pilot certainly was suspended before the Communist Party intervened. I need to check on the employees who leaked the personal info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.