Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by sunzi
I will refrain from commenting on what is decency and what isn't since this is travel forum and not a philosophical one.

I'll just say as CEO of a public company his first and foremost responsibility is to his shareholders. Whether you agree with it or not, it is just how it works.
No - as a human being his first and foremost responsibility is common decency, but sadly, because that was his first response, he was fired. Which is a very sad reflection on the state of the world and big corporations, and the influence of the Communist Party (for whom basic human decency is a completely alien concept).

Last edited by christep; Aug 17, 2019 at 8:59 am
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by christep
No - as a human being his first and foremost responsibility is common decency, but sadly, because that was his first response, he was fired. Which is a very sad reflection on the state of the world and big corporations, and the influence of the Communist Party (for whom basic human decency is a completely alien concept).
​​​​​​Again, using the word decency. Ok, tell me how was firing the pilot has anything to do with decency?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by christep
If I were Rupert Hogg, I would have made sure that the pilots who were fired on the instructions of the Communist Party were given very decent termination payments, and solid references for their future emplyment.
I have a feeling that any airline flying to Mainland China cannot employ him without risking retaliation from Beijing.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
News has come out that Beijing demanded Cathay to turn over a list of "problematic employees" to them, and Hogg refused. So Beijing summoned Swire himself (the person, not the corporate) to gave him a verbal lynching, and apparently Swire than use his influenced to force Cathay to submit to Beijing's will, which Hogg resigned in protest.

Although Cathay has disappointed me in the past for their Marco Polo nerf, but I still trust them to be one of the world's safest airline in the world. But after this, right now to me they are just another Chinese airline.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
News has come out that Beijing demanded Cathay to turn over a list of "problematic employees" to them, and Hogg refused. So Beijing summoned Swire himself (the person, not the corporate) to gave him a verbal lynching, and apparently Swire than use his influenced to force Cathay to submit to Beijing's will, which Hogg resigned in protest.

Although Cathay has disappointed me in the past for their Marco Polo nerf, but I still trust them to be one of the world's safest airline in the world. But after this, right now to me they are just another Chinese airline.
Any source for this news? Or "reports" spreading on the internet?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AEROPLAN, SPG GOLD
Originally Posted by Chromie25
Any source for this news? Or "reports" spreading on the internet?
Not turn over employees but demand management changes as the article below outline.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bulence-cathay
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Not turn over employees but demand management changes as the article below outline.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bulence-cathay
We all know that "management changes" is communist double speak for introducing white terror to Cathay staff relations.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: CX Macro Polo Club
Anyone with insight to the situation would have known that he had to go. The issue isn't with the employees being able to have a political opinion. It had to do with certain employees using work to advance their goals such as the pilot broadcasting over the intercom a political message. Further to that, you had employees taking part in illegal activities and being arrested. All these things transpired and he didn't do anything. As CEO, he should have made it clear from the beginning, can't use work to promote or advance political agenda and don't participate in any illegal activities. After all, as an airline, your customers come from a vast spectrum of political leanings. He didn't do that and was just a matter of time before he had to step down.
Sources?

You only watch CCTVB?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
This thread seems to be getting quite political and personal....
jetsetter1k likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:38 pm

I heard a somewhat different version of this story. Hogg was asked to turn over to Beijing a list of names of Cathay employees who had supported the protests.

Hogg did. The list contained one name: Rupert Hogg.

Great, if true.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by WonTonMin
I heard a somewhat different version of this story. Hogg was asked to turn over to Beijing a list of names of Cathay employees who had supported the protests.

Great, if true.
This is also reported in Taiwan by https://news.ltn.com.tw/news/world/breakingnews/2888488, although I'm not sure whether the source has high credibility.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:02 pm

Merlin Swire probably had his mind on his other, more lucrative Swire businesses in China (Swire recently moved the head quarters of their Coca Cola business from HK to SH) instead of the "troublesome" CX.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WonTonMin

Great, if true.
Great folklore but probably not true after seeing how the CX899 fiasco was handled.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
If you do, please try to make sure there is no one eavesdropping, so to make sure that the FA will not be reported...
I did talk to lounge staff and cabin crew.
Most shared the same concern as mine. One said "Right now is OK but we dont know about the future."
The other said " We worry to become a Chinese airlines too. However, Sir Ka-shing Li "spoke" on newspapers and HK people really pay lots of repect on him. He always can forsee the future. So things would calm down, hopefully."
Look at the demonstration on Aug 18th, it was quite peaceful. Maybe his words really worked!!!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
CAAC just turned Rupert Hogg into a Martyr...I think being the CEO, employees feel some sort of emnity towards him and the CX management specially after the cuts these past few years...but after last Friday you'd think people will be submitting his name to the Vatican to be made a saint.

CX was caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place, ultimatelty some executives had to be sacrified to the "Dragon" for CX to survive.
moondog and percysmith like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.